crummy dads

we were in 27 this weekend and the youth hunt was going on. it was cool seeing guys with their kids out chasin' deer and campin' and all them dadly sorta things. but we saw a couple deals that really yanked my chain. saw a young girl with a nice 3x3 muley she shot friday morning. sunday it was still hanging, in the sun, with the hide on it. it was pretty warm. way too warm to leave the hide on a deer all day, much less for at least 48 hours. i bet they say how "gamey" it is when they eat it. fact: rotten meat don't taste good. that's why bears just lick off all the maggots and wait for more. saw another kids that killed a little forkhorn coues. they skinned it and put a game bag on it and hung it in a tree, and promptly, but where it was it spent a lot of the day in the sun too. it mighta made it ok, but why chance it? they went to all the work to go hunting, got a deer, skinned it right out and bagged it up nice, why not make a little more effort to make sure it's gonna taste good? here's a news flash, when you shoot something, skin it as soon as you can. when it's hot, skin it even sooner. and try to cool it down. hang it up at night when it's cool, lay it down and cover it up in the shade in the day time. how long does it take to skin a deer? half an hour if ya take your time? how long does it take to take good care of one in the field? maybe a half an hour a day? hunting is a real blessing. treat it that way. Lark.

With all these early seasons creating more "opportunity" so says the AGFD... It definitley makes it a lot harder to keep meat decent for eating. Maybe it will create more opportunity this year but wait until a few guys take them deer home and find the maggots taste better than the meat they broiled in the sun for a couple days. Then they won't want to hunt again cause it don't taste good.

There is a good way to lower hunter retention!

3 years ago I was on the unit 6A ML'er cow hunt. We stopped in for gas at Clint's Well and I saw the following: Two grown adults with a flat bed trailer and 2 whole cow elk. When I say whole, I mean guts and all. Heads, skin, feet, etc. on their way to PHX.

A few years ago I had some buddies from Mississippi come out to go Mule Deer hunting down in a southern unit. One of them took a real nice 2 point and all we did was threw some ice in his chest cavity as well as around his inside parts of his hind quarters. We left him out overnight to chill down and during the day, we wrapped him up in some old sleeping bags to keep the cold inside of him and that worked really well. It was in the upper 70's low 80's during the day, but the deer kept well.

what i'm gettin' at is these guys did everything right. got their kids through the hunter's safety course, which is a real chore and takes a lotta time. got em put in and they got a tag. apparantly did enough time at the range that they hit the deer. bought em a rifle. took em huntin' and set up a nice camp and they got a deer and all was right with the world. so why not take another half an hour or so to take good care of the deer? compared to the hundreds of hours and the pile o' money they spent, skinnin' a deer ain't much to ask. i've taken care of probably 200 deer in Az. alone. never had even one of em go bad. it ain't real hard. even this time of year, a guy can fix one up just fine with no ice or anything. skin it out. maybe use a little water on it. it really takes the heat out, if you're by a garden hose you can cool one right down. hang it out at night when it's cool. take it down and put it in the coolest place you have available and cover it up with some blankets or sleeping bags or whatever you have, and repeat the process until you cut it up. and never, ever, use any plastic. clear or otherwise. plastic makes heat. doesn't matter if it's a blue tarp, garbage bags, or clear plastic. it makes heat. don't use it. if you're gonna spend all the time it takes to have a successfull hunt, then spend the few more minutes it takes to take care of your animal. Lark.

you'd be surprised how much more of this takes place than what folks see. Talk with some of the WMs regarding this subject and I bet you'll be appalled by the response. I myself have seen it many times on an early archery elk hunt where the animal is being driven to Phx or Tuc. with it's hide still on. Makes me sick.

Unfortunately is seems to many that once the animal has bee killed the hunt is now over. Sad to see.

cmc

It is just sickening hearing about all this stuff that takes place.

I too have seen things that just make me wonder what kind of people are out there that call themselves hunters. I have been by the butchers in my home town and seen people pull up with elk that are all bloated up because they havent even gutted the dang thing. <_< There is one other thing that I have personally seen that really yanked my chain when I was out helpin a buddy on a late bull elk hunt. We ended up gettin to a fairly remote area a little later than we had planned on and when getting there we seen that we got there a lil too late. There were some hunters already there and they had killed a big ole bull that was prolly pushin 360. We said congrats to the hunters and then they asked about easier ways into the area (it was apparent that they had lucked into this area by the questions they asked). I gave them some info and then we were on our way to go and try and find some other elk. Well come to find out I go in there later and find that they had only taken the hide and antlers and left all the meat! I was beyond pissed when I seen this but really could not do much because I did not ever get their names nor ever see their vehicle to get a license plate number. I wish these guys would have told me I could have the meat if I wanted it because I would have been more than happy to pack it out. Hope I never see this kinda of crap again from people who think that they are "hunters". These kinda people dont deserve to "kill" such a quality animal muchless even deserve to have the privledge to hunt. :angry:

Oh man that last post made me sick! Its unbelievable that some people can be so disrespectful and wasteful! A few years ago a friend of ours was Elk hunting and killed a nice 330-340 bull on the evening of opening day during the Nov. rifle hunt. Well somehow they managed to get the entire elk (gutted only) into his truck. Well thats where it stayed until he took it to the processor on monday! His thinking was that it was cold enough for it even after we all told him that he was making a huge mistake. I even offered to skin and cape it out for him but he said he would do it himself. He didnt get much meat off that bull I know that for sure. :angry:

Happens all the time. I always make sure and watch my meat cutter tag my animal. And then try to not look into the cooler at the animals that mine might touch up against!

Ive had some funky gamey meat come back from the processors and so I bought me a meat grinder that fits on my wifes Bosch and I do it all myself now. Its not as hard as you would think and I dont seem to have that problem anymore.

I was in springerville the day I shot my bull I had left my meat, head and cape in the freezer but while i was there I saw quite a few hunters coming from new mexico with elk that had the hide on them still. they had all said they were early morning kills and this was around 3 in the afternoon it was pretty warm that day, little long to have hide still on if you ask me. i wouldn't be suprised if they lost the meat around the neck and shoulders, if you're going to hunt make sure you are going to care of the game at least for someone to eat, if not just don't hunt, that's my opinion.