crummy dads

Getting the hide off ASAP and getting your meat cooled is the best thing. Fortunately I was a meat cutter for several years and have my own walk in cooler, saw, and grinder. Over the last 6 or 7 years though I have not even quartered an animal the old traditional way in fact we dont even gut the animal. We split the hide from the hind quarter all the way up to the back of the head and skin it out onsite. We lay the hide out like a blanket and take the hind quarter off at the hip joint, filet the back strap out, bone the neck, shoulder, ribs out and make an incision in the last rib and reach in and take out the fillets and other parts we need. Then we flip it over and do the same thing. You can set these sections in the shade and on shrubs and the air alone immediatly starts to cool the meat in any weather. I know all my circle of friends does this same type of system but I'm sure were not alone here right? With some heavy duty bags or old pillow casses we just wrap them up and start packing them out!

I tried the no-gut method a few years ago on an elk. Used the method on a cow elk two years later. Pretty slick and easy.

Seeing the elk ride down I-17 from Flag in the backs of PUs during archery season sure has one shaking their head when it is stilll 100* in the valley. There is a camp at Mill Park in 6b that usually has an elk hanging the whole archery season. Schmecht gut?

The gut less method is the only way we take care of large animals. I have been using that method since I killed my first moose in Alaska back in 1999.

Makes you wonder how many of them removed the windpipe from those Elk. Nothing spoils quicker.

I was wondering when this would come up.

Where can I get a diagram or something on the gutless method?

I believe I saw a video on this for sale at Cabela's. I think a cow elk was used as the subject. I too have always been interested in this method but the diagrams I have seen always leave me with a question or two.

I know this thread moved from bad care of game to gutless process but I did see what .270 was talking about this weekend. A youth hunter with a mule deer strapped on the back of a truck on a hitch extension rack. It was field dressed but not skinned. They looked like they were all packed and heading home in the middle of the day. The cavity was not covered and the road was very dusty.

azyoung

I know that when my son killed his NM elk a couple of weeks ago, that the work obviously started when the elk hit the ground (all fun up until that point.....)!

Amanda, my buddy Terry, Erik, and myself went to work skinning & cutting right after that big boy was hung in a tree. FIVE hours later we had all of the meat either hanging in trees to cool or already on ice in one of the many icechests we brought (actually had to purchase additional icechest space at Walmart on the way home.... ;) )! Lots of work, but we are obligated to put out this effort to ensure NO meat spoilage!

Grilled-up some chops this weekend. Yummy! ;)

S.

:)