Edge

1st time fly fishing

I catch something much bigger than that every time I use my fly rod. It is 6'3" & 220 lbs. and says lots of bad words when it gets hooked. Using a fly rod is definitely a skill.

I catch something much bigger than that every time I use my fly rod. It is 6'3" & 220 lbs. and says lots of bad words when it gets hooked. Using a fly rod is definitely a skill.

wtf?

1971...catching little 4-6" brookies from woods canyon creek below the dam down to the confluence of willow springs creek. then bluegills from the shore at saguaro and stehr lake. an 8 lb carp took a dry fly at stehr lake-biggest flyrod catch until silver creek 2002.

lee

1971...catching little 4-6" brookies from woods canyon creek below the dam down to the confluence of willow springs creek. then bluegills from the shore at saguaro and stehr lake. an 8 lb carp took a dry fly at stehr lake-biggest flyrod catch until silver creek 2002.

lee

I heard about Silver Creek for the first time last night.

Growing up in Tucson, I taught myself how to cast with a $9.99 Kmart rig in my swimming pool. First time fly fishing was when I was 10 or 11 years old. I took the rod to Pena Blanca lake and caught a mess of bluegills and one bass, using black gnats and poppers.

After college, I spent several summers working in Yellowstone Park. Pretty much spoiled me. Fly fishing took over as I accumulated more and better gear, began tying my own bugs, leaders, etc...

• Like 1

Love to fly fish even with all the frustration it can cause. The only real problem is that it interrupts my beer drinking!

• Like 1

Heading over to the San Juan in about 4 weeks from now for a week of fly fishing with a bunch of good friends. A boys trip and unsupervised! I'm not as good as the rest of my friends but I have as much fun. :)

TJ

• Like 3

My first fly rod was from Dave Cook Sporting goods. It was fiberglass. I caught many bluegills with it. I still have it hanging in the garage.

• Like 1

lee

I heard about Silver Creek for the first time last night.

Pretty fun little spot with lots of pressure at times. Make sure you take the time to walk up creek and see where the water just boils up out of the ground.......

I'll be headed to the San Juan this year as well. Was planning on going in April, but my baby sister wants to go as well and she won't have time off until the summer. Absolutely amazing fishery that every fisherman needs to hit at least once in their life.

• Like 4

I went to San Juan below the dam one year in the summer and camped on the river. The mosquitoes ate me up. When is the best time to go to avoid them?

I went to San Juan below the dam one year in the summer and camped on the river. The mosquitoes ate me up. When is the best time to go to avoid them?

When I go in April there are no mosquitoes and the fishing has always been really good. During the later part of April and first of May you have to be careful of the lake turning over which makes the river not as clear to fish. It can be a little tougher catching fish then. Good luck on your trip. :)

TJ

Not to mention having to deal with the increased flow from runoff out of the mountains. I've gone once in early April before they increased the flow rates from the dam, and the rest of my trips have been in Dec-Feb timeframe. Never had any issues with mosquitos. Fishing is slow and technical in the winter time, but I've always managed to land good quantities of fish, with a few gems mixed in.

• Like 2