Sign in to follow this  
TOBY

Swarovski 15-56 HD or not?

Came up in conversation that the new 15s do not say HD anywhere on them. Reviews say they are and they are great but does Swarovski themselves call them HD? Maybe I'm missing something. Doesn't matter cuz my old slcs do just fine , but what am I missing?

For anyone wishing to enjoy nature and its challenges even more intensely, the new generation in the traditional SLC family provides perfect binoculars for unique impressions and moments. The top-quality, high-luminosity HD optics, the large field of view, and the perfect ergonomic design offered by the SLC binoculars are ideal for taking with you on longer outdoor trips and enable you to enjoy unspoiled impressions in the wild.

Found it. Nevermind....

Toby do yourself a favor and don't even consider looking through the HD's. I made the mistake of looking through a pair. 😢💰😢

Told hogntr I'd use more emojis so I don't sound like a jerk!

• Like 4

Toby do yourself a favor and don't even consider looking through the HD's. I made the mistake of looking through a pair.

Told hogntr I'd use more emojis so I don't sound like a jerk!

I decided i wont look through hds until i win a pair

• Like 1

Iv been able to compare the hds to my slcs a couple different times while out hunting. Yes there is a difference...but I'm not sure yet that it's worth the extra money. Say I sold mine for 1300, then news ones would be roughly 2200, I still would have to come up with 900 extra and just not sure if it's worth 900 or not yet. With that being said I will end up getting them, just not in any hurry to do so.

• Like 1

I've got both (old & new). The new ones are lighter. Image is sharper but most of all, slightly more eye relief for those of us who must wear eyeglasses. I find the older SLC's require me to stay very tight to the oculars with proper head position in order the keep the fov full. The new ones are slightly better in that regard.

$900 spread out over the 15-20 years you will use them seems like a pretty reasonable investment.

$900 spread out over the 15-20 years you will use them seems like a pretty reasonable investment.

Or until the next version of ultra HD binoculars come out. Which will not be 15-20 years.

• Like 3

Iv been able to compare the hds to my slcs a couple different times while out hunting. Yes there is a difference...but I'm not sure yet that it's worth the extra money. Say I sold mine for 1300, then news ones would be roughly 2200, I still would have to come up with 900 extra and just not sure if it's worth 900 or not yet. With that being said I will end up getting them, just not in any hurry to do so.

900 more but theyre worth 900 more too when you go to sell them. or whatever the deprecation is at that point down the road

• Like 2

I bought my regular black 15x56s in 2006 i believe for $1600. I could probably sell them for $1200 today or a touch more almost 11 years later even after the HD's came out. I would bet the HD's do as good or better at retaining their value. If you have the money buy the HD's, if not the non HD's are very good and it gives you something to look forward to in the future.

The best thing about the HD's are the eye cups can press together significantly more than the non HD's

• Like 2

If and when you do decide you want to upgrade let me know! I'd be interested in your SLC's!

• Like 1