Sign in to follow this  
Coueshunter77

New Mexico Elk

Just to update: My credit card was charged, it is no longer pending, so they do take the money up front. Noticed today when I paid the card off.

Interesting that most tags are drawn as a third choice. There is a reason for that. Hope you draw it and get lucky to find some elk there.

Hey did I hear correct, New Mexico charges the tag fee up front? I heard on Newburghs podcast it was just the app fee and hunting license for 78.00 total unless drawn????

It is full amount up front. I think it is a great system. No worries about having a credit card screw up during the draw and loosing a tag over it like you can in AZ. You either get a tag or you just gave NMDGF a short term loan that is repaid reasonably quickly.

• Like 4

I'd be looking at some better units if it was my first time ever putting in. It sure seems like people have really good "luck" the first year they put in, myself included. Haven't drawn a tag since in units with better than Gila unit odds.

When you look at the NM regs. there is a column titled "fee type". S is standard, Q is qualtiy and HD is high demand. You may also see Q/HD combined. It is some indication of what hunts are considered more desirable. An S tag will run you $548 while a Q, HD or Q/HD tag is $773. Maybe a NM resident could give some input on how accurate the Q or HD is for assessing hunt quality.

I have done a couple of deer hunts in 23 and only saw a few elk.

When you look at the NM regs. there is a column titled "fee type". S is standard, Q is qualtiy and HD is high demand. You may also see Q/HD combined. It is some indication of what hunts are considered more desirable. An S tag will run you $548 while a Q, HD or Q/HD tag is $773. Maybe a NM resident could give some input on how accurate the Q or HD is for assessing hunt quality.

The quality and high demand designation is based completely on how many people put in for a hunt. Lots of people put in for the really good hunts so those are the ones designated as Q/HD

The quality and high demand designation is based completely on how many people put in for a hunt. Lots of people put in for the really good hunts so those are the ones designated as Q/HD

I would expect the ratio of applications to available tags would be the basis for a High Demand designation. I expect there is a different basis to assign the Quality designation to a given hunt, what are the guidelines used to determine if a hunt is a Quality hunt?

The game commission designates a quality hunt. Straight from the hunting regs for the 2017-2018 season.

Quality Hunt:

Quality (Q) Hunt: These hunts are designed to increase opportunities for a successful harvest,

achieve harvests from wider selections of mature deer or elk, and/or provide a pleasurable experience

based on timing of the hunt and hunter density. Quality hunts are determined by the New Mexico

State Game Commission.

High Demand Hunt (HD):

High-Demand (HD) Hunt: An elk or deer draw hunt with at least 22% nonresident

applicants for the previous two license years.

​As far as residents of it doesn't matter on if a hunt is Q or HD or Q/HD we pay the same fees. $60 for a cow elk or $90 for a bull or either sex (ES) licenses.

The game commission designates a quality hunt. Straight from the hunting regs for the 2017-2018 season.

Quality Hunt:

Quality (Q) Hunt: These hunts are designed to increase opportunities for a successful harvest,

achieve harvests from wider selections of mature deer or elk, and/or provide a pleasurable experience

based on timing of the hunt and hunter density. Quality hunts are determined by the New Mexico

State Game Commission.

High Demand Hunt (HD):

High-Demand (HD) Hunt: An elk or deer draw hunt with at least 22% nonresident

applicants for the previous two license years.

​As far as residents of it doesn't matter on if a hunt is Q or HD or Q/HD we pay the same fees. $60 for a cow elk or $90 for a bull or either sex (ES) licenses.

Thanks for the information. I have been meaning to check on that for years. I always forget. Looking for hunts to apply for or reviewing the regulations to keep myself legal if I am lucky enough to get a tag seem to distract me.

It is interesting that the nonresident application % is the basis for HD. Not what I would have expected.

Hey did I hear correct, New Mexico charges the tag fee up front? I heard on Newburghs podcast it was just the app fee and hunting license for 78.00 total unless drawn????

It is full amount up front. I think it is a great system. No worries about having a credit card screw up during the draw and loosing a tag over it like you can in AZ. You either get a tag or you just gave NMDGF a short term loan that is repaid reasonably quickly.

So my wife just let me put in for NM elk (Q unit) with a buddy from back home in Iowa. It was definitely a "charge your card up front" application. I marked the "refund if not drawn" box for my license/stamp combo and the screen said "You will be charged $847.00 for this transaction...", but the receipt that was emailed to me didn't have the license charge on it. My buddy asked me when the draw is and when we'd find out if we're drawn or not. I told him it was good question, but guessed late May/early June. Anyone care to enlighten me? Then I can tell my wife when to expect a refund on the credit card.

So my wife just let me put in for NM elk (Q unit) with a buddy from back home in Iowa. It was definitely a "charge your card up front" application. I marked the "refund if not drawn" box for my license/stamp combo and the screen said "You will be charged $847.00 for this transaction...", but the receipt that was emailed to me didn't have the license charge on it. My buddy asked me when the draw is and when we'd find out if we're drawn or not. I told him it was good question, but guessed late May/early June. Anyone care to enlighten me? Then I can tell my wife when to expect a refund on the credit card.

I sent you a pm.

I sent you a pm.

Got it. Thanks, Tommy!