Sign in to follow this  
Coueshunter77

New Mexico Elk

Looking to put in for new mexico for the first ime. i'm really only interested in doing an early season archery hunt. I'm trying to find units that are overlooked so i to have higher draw odds. Right now i'm looking at unit 23. any info or tips?

• Like 1

Bonehead, 23 is not overlooked its not a goood unit period Good luck,....................BOB!

I'm doing new mex this year as well, first time for me. I just looked at the draw odds and went with high draw odds areas. I'm actually doing muzzy and rifle bull in October, odds are better than az units I put in for.

Good luck, these days I doubt there is an overlooked unit in the country

• Like 2

Looking to put in for new mexico for the first ime. i'm really only interested in doing an early season archery hunt. I'm trying to find units that are overlooked so i to have higher draw odds. Right now i'm looking at unit 23. any info or tips?

23 for me then.

coues77,

I hunted 23 quite a few years ago on a cow hunt.

In my scouting trips I yielded one elk. In 3 days of

hunting I saw 0 elk. It is a low density elk unit which

would be why it is fairly easily drawn. I would stick to

the north end of the unit unless you can get private access

to fields around Glenwood/Alma.

Jeff

• Like 2

Last year I mapped the 2015 NR Archery Draw odds on the New Mexico Premium Map Viewer, I doubt they have changed drastically. You can check them out with a risk free complimentary membership here.

Make sure you are registered so you can still use the Free Map Viewer after your complimentary Premium Membership expires.

You can learn more about the different features of the map viewers here.

Be sure to check out our Custom New Mexico Map options. If your one of the fortunate non-residents that draws a tag, you'll want a good map for your hunt.

Please email me ed@gameplannermaps.com with any questions.

-Ed

• Like 1

23 can be a tuff unit. Not a lot of great elk habitat and it tends to have all the hunters hunting on top of each other. But like anywhere else it's a hunt if you bust your hump on there are some great bulls to be had.

Hey did I hear correct, New Mexico charges the tag fee up front? I heard on Newburghs podcast it was just the app fee and hunting license for 78.00 total unless drawn????

Hey did I hear correct, New Mexico charges the tag fee up front? I heard on Newburghs podcast it was just the app fee and hunting license for 78.00 total unless drawn????

Nope, New Mexico charges up front full fees. I front over 3k to put in there.

But on subject, I tagged out on a cow hunt in 23, back when nr's could apply for anterless hunts.

I put in for elk, deer, and my hunting/fishing license and the habitat stamps. As a resident the cost should be $90 elk, $41 deer, $30 license and $9 stamps. My credit card shows $171 pending to NMG&F. I think they will hold it until draw results start to come out and then take the appropriate amount. Maybe when March 22nd hits they will charge my card and then refund in April, no idea.

Now as far as elk hunting in Unit 23 I have been there a few times and seen more hunters than elk. Not only do you have the elk hunters, you have the archery deer hunters, archery bear hunters and all the hunters scouting for their upcoming hunts. I was camped one time by a turn off to a little water hole and had 14 different vehicles down that road in one day. It is not my first choice but I have pulled it on my third choice every time I get a tag. For NR to put it as a first choice you have about 10% chance to draw it.

This year it is unit 16D as my first choice, much better hunt if I draw it.

Edit: Archery is an ES tag so NR's can kill a cow elk with a bow. It is also the only tag I know of where a spike is legal.

• Like 1