tomgobbler

BEEF Calves

LAst year I posted some calves but waited to long , had lots of people say they wanted them but then never showed up.... so this year I'm trying something different.....

my calves are starting to hit the ground, i have 8 on the ground now, and another 10 or so to come anyday.... these are out of a very nice black angus bull, the bulls mother was registered, we just never registered him. but he is a great bull.... about half my calves have black angus mothers and the other half have red herford mothers.... all are great calves.... no junk , no sale barn, all raised at my place in taylor.... all mothers and bull on sight.... we give them there vaccine shot at around a month old, and that is the only thing we give them.....

this is what I am proposing.... the calves will sale around OCT 1st when I wean them for $800.00

with a $400.00 deposit you can secure your calf, I will keep it on the mother and raise it from now until as close to Oct. 1st as you can make arrangements to come get it. it will weigh in the neighborhood of 500-600 lbs..... then you can come pick out the one you want and pay the remaining $400.00 ..... that way I know for sure how many I have sold..... you can then take it home and finish it off the way you want.... corn/grain/grass/alfalfa/beer ..... what ever.... keep it through the fall/winter and then butcher it when it is to the weight and size you want..... this way it will also give you the next 6 months to secure a place to keep it, fix fence get pasture ready or what ever....

anyway here is a sample of calves I already have on the ground.... if your interested in raising your own beef, and want to secure a calf now, drop me a line, thanks

tommy

post-2728-0-07019800-1489598977_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7

Wish I had a place to keep one.

Your garage!!! Just get little a.c. for it and let you neighbors wonder about the noise and smell.

We raised our own beef, pork etc when I was a kid and insure miss those tasty days

Do we have our choice of sexes. Are you including castrating?

Who wants to go in on one or two?

Makes sense to go in on a couple, we have room and a livestock trailer

• Like 4

first come first choice on calves.... so yes take your pick on the gender.....

yes all the bull calves will be castrated..... we do that when they are a month old or so....

yes I think 2 calves do better then one by themselves..... I typed a whole page on this in the fall when I posted the other I had for sale, on why I think that they do, you could look it up. but when two are together they seem to do better then one...... just my experience....

these calves will stay on there mother tell fall, then weaned then you just finish how you want them done....

if you've never had home grown beef your missing out..... but be warned if you ever have it , you wont want to go back :)

• Like 2

Do we have our choice of sexes. Are you including castrating?

Who wants to go in on one or two?

Makes sense to go in on a couple, we have room and a livestock trailer

I'd be game for going in. Adam how big is your yard?

• Like 1

Depends if my card gets hit friday and how many times. Id be down to go halves with someone thats gotta place to put it. That is of course, after the card hit results.

• Like 1

Tomgobbler, once a beef is ready for slaughter, if one had enough meat already for the year, would it be ok to let it go until next cold season, or would it make the meat too tough?

if you kept feeding it good, then no it would not be "tough" the next fall it would be great eating, because it would be that much bigger, and marbled out that much more.... the key would be the feed..... to many people feed just enough to keep it alive if that makes since, but to add weight and marbling and get them nice and fat you have to feed them good.... so an extra year of good feed and it would be amazing dinner fair .... and would probably even be better.... the first year they grow bone..... the second year it would be all weight and thickness.... most home growers butcher at the year or year and half mark do to expense.... and don't get me wrong they turn out great.... but that extra 6-8 months on the back end is when they don't grow "up" as much but start filling out....so if you keep them that extra time, that's when you really get to see the weight put on....

calves are looking good, 17 to choose from at the moment. home grown beef is the better by far.

• Like 1