Sign in to follow this  
Flingingarrowsbro

Point Guard

I was always surprised at how many did not go on the hunts they had drawn. We used to hunt 17a rifle deer and I can remember 7-10 percent of tags issued were not used each year. I always chalked it up to "life happens". Stuff comes up and you just can't go for one reason or another. The rumor of anti-hunters drawing and not using tags has been around for decades but I have never seen proof of it. Once they required the purchase of a hunting license in order apply probably made any anti's stop applying if they had been. No way they are giving money to G&F.

I like point guard for such "life happening" events. I also like that it can only be used once before you lose all points on 2nd time.

congratulations to all that drew a tag this year.

• Like 1

I'm using the point guard this year for Turkey. I can't go on my turkey hunt so I'm turning my tag back in. Hopefully a CW member will get my unit 1 early hunt tag.

Wish I would have bought point guard for Turkey.

I decided to buy a point after hunting in a Hurricane last year! I figured I would return my tag if the weather report showed 50mph winds again. I didn't expect I would have to turn my tag in due to work.

Another element of the hunt I have noticed over the last 40+ years it seems a big percentage of the tag holders will only hunt the first three day weekend and then go home due to vacation limitations or other family/work obligations. That should factor into the hunter success ratio but not sure how accurate that is being reported.

• Like 1

Another element of the hunt I have noticed over the last 40+ years it seems a big percentage of the tag holders will only hunt the first three day weekend and then go home due to vacation limitations or other family/work obligations. That should factor into the hunter success ratio but not sure how accurate that is being reported.

I expect they keep equation for that ratio real simple. Number of animals harvested divided by number of tags issued. Example 20 animals harvested divided by 50 tags issued equals 40% hunt success. The biggest variable in the accuracy is probably what % of hunters for each hunt complete their surveys. If you start taking other variables into account the equation would get real complicated real fast. How many hunters did not hunt at all? How many days did each hunter hunt? Did some hunters use archery or muzzle loaders in a general season? How experienced was each hunter? What was the weather like?

I expect they keep equation for that ratio real simple. Number of animals harvested divided by number of tags issued. Example 20 animals harvested divided by 50 tags issued equals 40% hunt success. The biggest variable in the accuracy is probably what % of hunters for each hunt complete their surveys. If you start taking other variables into account the equation would get real complicated real fast. How many hunters did not hunt at all? How many days did each hunter hunt? Did some hunters use archery or muzzle loaders in a general season? How experienced was each hunter? What was the weather like?
I still can't quite understand why they don't require mandatory reporting. I mean it seems like it would be pretty simple to require each hunter to return their unused tags or something similar.
  • Like 3

I still can't quite understand why they don't require mandatory reporting. I mean it seems like it would be pretty simple to require each hunter to return their unused tags or something similar.

A bonus point for completing the survey would motivate most folks. Since it's voluntary I'm sure they keep the survey quick and simple but with an incentive (bonus point) they could add a bit more detail to the survey.

• Like 1

Applied for NM for the first time this year and noticed that they do have mandatory reporting. If you don't report, they won't give you a tag. There's some motivation.

Yes I believe New Mexico added the mandatory reporting requirement about 4 years ago. I'll bet it is real effective getting the reports now that it is no report.....no tag!

I have had to fill one out, pretty quick and easy. I would recommend printing a copy and holding onto it just in case there is an issue the next year.

Yes I believe New Mexico added the mandatory reporting requirement about 4 years ago. I'll bet it is real effective getting the reports now that it is no report.....no tag!

If one doesn't they pay a $15 fee - and they can apply

• Like 1