Sign in to follow this  
DUG

Got my 1st archery bull tag. Need equipment advice

6 weeks until it's time. Let's talk rain gear. What's everyone using? Cabelas has some nice stuff but too pricey. Amazon has some 15-20$ ponchos. What will the elk do in the rain?

6 weeks until it's time. Let's talk rain gear. What's everyone using? Cabelas has some nice stuff but too pricey. Amazon has some 15-20$ ponchos. What will the elk do in the rain?

Its nice to have a good rain jacket but they arent cheap so if a poncho is all you got then a poncho it is.. My hunting buddy rocks a poncho..

• Like 1

Elk love the rain. My experience is the elk do what they do in the rain same as always. Except If there's standing water everywhere, they don't go to waterholes. They just drink from puddles.

• Like 1

One of my favorite things during elk season is when the storms roll in. Find a nice thick stand of trees to sit under and stay dry while it rains and get ready for some awesome activity when the heavy stuff lets up. So many guys stay in camp or head back when it gets rainy.

Waterproof boots and pants or gaiters are a MUST.

One of my favorite things during elk season is when the storms roll in. Find a nice thick stand of trees to sit under and stay dry while it rains and get ready for some awesome activity when the heavy stuff lets up. So many guys stay in camp or head back when it gets rainy.

Waterproof boots and pants or gaiters are a MUST.

I shot an elk a few years ago doing this. It rained hard for 3 days and as soon as it let up, the elk were out feeding. I filled my tag and watched the elk run off while my friend listened to the shots from camp because he didn't want to get wet. He also didn't fill his tag.

I'm sighting in my hunting arrows. Here in town my broad heads at 30 yards are pretty much dead on. I was up this weekend where I'll be staying for the hunt and was shooting my bow. At 30 yards my broad heads were almost 3 inches high. I didn't think there would be such a difference. I don't think my sight moved either. Anybody have any answers? I did feel like my form sucked shooting up there. So, maybe just me?

When I get confident in a new setup, I won't change anything until at least 2 consecutive shooting days dictate a change is needed. Shoot again down here, and then again up at your hunting grounds, and then make a decision.

Quality broadheads on a well tuned bow should shoot right with field tips, regardless of elevation. What did/do your field tips do up there? That will help. Good on you for practicing, good luck!

• Like 1

I'm sighting in my hunting arrows. Here in town my broad heads at 30 yards are pretty much dead on. I was up this weekend where I'll be staying for the hunt and was shooting my bow. At 30 yards my broad heads were almost 3 inches high. I didn't think there would be such a difference. I don't think my sight moved either. Anybody have any answers? I did feel like my form sucked shooting up there. So, maybe just me?

Soooo many things could have happened. Did it go back to zero when you came back down?

Did you wear gloves at all? Did your hold point shift. Has your peep shifted? Peeps can cause vertical movement and it is very difficult to notice.

And unless you are comparing apples to apples it is even more difficult to know.

I'll be shooting in town tomorrow. My field points were even a little high up north. I won't touch anything until I think I need to. Thanks for all the replies!

Worked on my form with field points and am right on at 20 and just a tad high at 30. I noticed I wasn't getting my nose into the string like I normally do. This seemed to help. I will try broad heads tomorrow.

It's that time! It got real when I put my broad heads in the quiver. It's go time. Good luck to everyone!

• Like 1