Rock30golf

Looking for a good gunsmith!!!! For my 300 win mag

My guess is a mental block. 1/2@ 300 then magically falls apart a mere 100 yards later? I'd guess something similar to target panic in archery.

My first question would be how many rounds have been down the barrel. Usually when the throat starts to go, a rifle will still group at 200 and 300, but will be lucky to be on paper at 400.

Your problem falls into 1 of 3 basic categories. Shooter, Ammunition, Rifle. Eliminate 2 and work on the 3rd.

Fire a completely different load. A bullet from a different manufacture and of a different weight. If you are shooting heavy bullets go lighter, if you are shooting light bullets go heavier. If this load is consistent as range increases the first load was probably the problem.

If the new load has the same problem have another known accurate shooter fire your rifle. If they get the same results as you the problem is in the rifle. If the rifle shoots well for them there is a problem with the shooter. That last one is always hard to admit, I know from experience.

• Like 1

Remington 700 win mag

shooting Hornady super preformance. 180 gr SST

optics Vortex viper 4-16 x44

I had the bolt done

and trigger set at 3 lbs.

Complete the information requests below, and prior....

Factory barrel? Length? Contour? Model? Twist rate? Stock? Pillars? Bedding? Action screw torque? Clean bore? Oiled bore? Cold bore? Fouled bore? Over fouled bore?

Factory ammo, Hornady Superformance w. 180 SST. Shot over a crono to check velocity/SD/ES? Checked CBTO to verify consistent seating depth?

Scope base/rings? Torque of base screws? Loctite? Bedded base? Ring brand? Ring height? Ring screws torqued to spec? Scope level/anticant device? Reticle level? Scope tracking tests completed? Tracking true and level? Parallax adjusted correctly? Yardage verified? Drops verified? Mirage?

Cheek weld consistent? Solid front rest? Good rear rest? Consistent trigger pull? Consistent grip? Preloading Bipod? Checking for rifle level? Proper form? Consistent recoil management? Shooting position? 1/2" to 3/4" groups consistently at 300, every time? Or once or twice? Try 5 to 10 shot groups at same yardage?

Wind variations? Mirage? Temp swings?

To shoot a completely factory rifle with factory ammo into a 1/2" group at 300 is very good and very lucky . Count your blessings.

I am beginning to think this is possibly a troll thread...

Complete the information requests below, and prior....

Factory barrel? Length? Contour? Model? Twist rate? Stock? Pillars? Bedding? Action screw torque? Clean bore? Oiled bore? Cold bore? Fouled bore? Over fouled bore?

Factory ammo, Hornady Superformance w. 180 SST. Shot over a crono to check velocity/SD/ES? Checked CBTO to verify consistent seating depth?

Scope base/rings? Torque of base screws? Loctite? Bedded base? Ring brand? Ring height? Ring screws torqued to spec? Scope level/anticant device? Reticle level? Scope tracking tests completed? Tracking true and level? Parallax adjusted correctly? Yardage verified? Drops verified? Mirage?

Cheek weld consistent? Solid front rest? Good rear rest? Consistent trigger pull? Consistent grip? Preloading Bipod? Checking for rifle level? Proper form? Consistent recoil management? Shooting position? 1/2" to 3/4" groups consistently at 300, every time? Or once or twice? Try 5 to 10 shot groups at same yardage?

Wind variations? Mirage? Temp swings?

To shoot a completely factory rifle with factory ammo into a 1/2" group at 300 is very good and very lucky . Count your blessings.

I am beginning to think this is possibly a troll thread...

All this is above my level. Thats why I am looking for good gunsmith.

Stock 700, $300 scope and factory copper ammo shooting 1/2" groups at 300? Hate to break it to you, but if your >$1000 setup shoots 1/2" groups at 300 yards, not only should you buy a lottery ticket, but if the wheels fall off AFTER 300 yards, there is a 99% chance the person behind the scope is the problem. Post up some groups if you don't mind so we can analyze them. Ps, you should have entered Lance's competition

• Like 4

Stock 700, $300 scope and factory copper ammo shooting 1/2" groups at 300? Hate to break it to you, but if your >$1000 setup shoots 1/2" groups at 300 yards, not only should you buy a lottery ticket, but if the wheels fall off AFTER 300 yards, there is a 99% chance the person behind the scope is the problem. Post up some groups if you don't mind so we can analyze them. Ps, you should have entered Lance's competition

Its not a competition, its a Fun Shoot.😔

• Like 2

what country was the metal mined in to create the trigger guard?

This is very important piece to the puzzle. Also what type, brand and metal is the come a long made of that you're using to pull that trigger, are you seated, standing or laying down when horking on said come a long?

• Like 1

Have you let someone else shoot it and they get the same results? To me, there are very few reasons why you could get consistent 1/2" groups @ 300, and then completely go to heck @ 400. And we don't know what types of groups you are talking about at 400, since you have given us so little information. Most guesses of the cause lead back to shooter input or lack thereof. Nothing to be ashamed of. 400 yards is not as easy as people think.

Heck, I am pretty hard pressed to shoot 1/2" groups at 300 with my rifles and hand loads.

Do you mean 1/2 MOA or a half an inch? Half Moa at 300 yds is 1.5 inchs. (close enough) A factory rifle shooting factory ammo getting consistent 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards is very good. How about some photos and more information?

This is a roll bread

Wheat? Rye? Sourdough?