Sign in to follow this  
KaibabHunter

Buying Used Bow Online?

Curious about anyones experience buying bows on archery talk, eBay etc. I'm in the market, and looking at it I could get a lot more bow for my $ buying 1 or 2 years old used. Some almost seem too good to be true and AT has a giant thread of blacklisted scammers which makes me little leary about forking over $700-$1k in an online private sale. Haven't decided on brand yet but seeing some good deals on a variety of bows.

I have bought around 15 bows and sold just as many from archerytalk. Never been scammed. Just make sure the seller has a feedback rating and has a decent amount of posts. very easy to tell when its a scammer. They are a new user and no feeback and selling a bow too good to be true.

On the flipside i refuse to sell to a buyer with no feedback and that is a new user. So make some posts. Introduce yourself on the welcome forum. You can get a 1 year old bow for half price. Hard to beat buying used from archerytalk. There are some guys on there with serious new bow addiction so they sell their practically new bow for half price. Only one out of the 15 i have bought was not in great condition. The rest were almost like new.

• Like 3

I would go to Ross and take a look at their used bow rack or last years model.

I've bought from both. AT has some great deals. Pay with PayPal and add the 3%, never PayPal friend.

There are bowshops all around the country selling their over stock of bows on eBay.

• Like 1

I bought on AT. Got a 1 yr old model for half price. Great bow and the guy just kept throwing stuff in, quiver, case, arrows, etc.

I was a new member and just went on introduced myself and stated my intentions. Could not have worked out better.

• Like 1

Pay attention to details on ebay.I ate the return shipping on a LEFT handed mint condition bow last year.Im sure the woman selling it didnt know the difference.

First Choice Archery Auction on e-bay is good. I also have a friend (long time AT user) who buys and sells a lot of bows, and has done so for a long time. What are you looking for?

forepaw

I don't know what I want yet. I'm hoping to start test driving brands this weekend to see what I like. My all inclusive budget NEW may limit me to something mid tier like a Hoyt PowerMax but USED I might be able get last years top tier flagship for the same price. I know that I want to try the carbon bows but also know that brand new that they're above my budget.

With an early bull tag it's time to retire the 2005 Hoyt UltraMag...

You may want to consider new bows that are discontinued or last year's models. Have you considered Athens Archery? They are a small company in the Midwest and make extremely nice bows. They may have some leftover limbs and risers they can put together for you at a pretty good price. Bowtech might be the same. The quietest bow I have every heard was a Bowtech Prodigy. Don't know anything about how they shoot, but they are quiet.

forepaw

I just got a Bowtech Prodigy in yesterdays mail that I paid 600 for and the list was 1100 last year.This was with a rest from Archerytalk

• Like 1

Check camofire. On occasion you will see 2016 NIB from PSE and Bear at 50% off. These are great bows.

Any modern compound today will give you years of enjoyment irregardless of brand.

I'm still shooting my 2009 Bear Truth 2.

Thx for the tips. The right deal popped up on AT today and I jumped on it. Seller had positive feedback, answered all of my questions and sold at a very fair price. 2016 Hoyt Defiant Turbo with sight, rest, and stabilizer shipping tomorrow. Providing the bow shows up as promised I'll should be very happy with my AT purchase.

• Like 1

You will be fine

Sign up for Huntoftheday.com as well. They have been getting rid of new Prime Rivals and Alloys for cheap as well as Diamond Carbon Cure packages.

I've bought most of my bows on Archery Talk and a few on Ebay. Only been burned once on Ebay, turned out the seller was selling bows they didn't have and was scrambling to try and find the bow after I paid them. Paypal saved my butt on that and I got my money back after about a month. It was my fault for not checking feedback and rating though (one of my first online purchases) 99% of the guys on AT are honest straight shooters (no pun intended) and won't give you any trouble.

The defiant is a horrible now. I will take out off your hands and save you the headache ha ha

• Like 1