Sign in to follow this  
apache12

Muzzle brake and accuracy. Range with hunt w/o?

Considering my first muzzle brake for a 7mm mag on a rifle my 13 year old will shoot on a cow hunt

Is point of impact them same with them on and off?

Top thre choices. Or don't do it at all. And just have him shoot my 7mm-08. Thought on the 7mm. Was i would give it to him as his one rifle from the old man. And enough to get him through most situations

• Like 1

No, the point of impact will shift between having the brake on and off.

The 7mm-08 should have plenty of power to get the job done at shorter ranges.

Just keep it on at all times just have hearing protection handy. I like to use electronic ear muffs, can hear the spotter but not the shots.

Ok.glad you two chimed in. So you carry protection on the field. Think I'll pass on is project because the spot we hunt I know will be successful on a slow spot and stalk. With a shot under 100 yards. I'll use my light 7mm-08 with a 2-10x50.

Interesting about the muzzle changing impact though. Was always curious. I always read about guys sighting in at range with brake and then taking off for hunt but that's seems problematic .

Any changes will effect the barrel harmonics.

Slow spot and stalk sound like wearing electronic muffs would help a lot. They make quiet sounds louder.

• Like 1

Don't feel you need to limit the 7mm-08 to 100 yards. 300 yard shots should not be a problem if your son can place the round in the vitals.

Look at heavier bullets in the 168 gr range for better penetration.

Yea i know the 7mm-08 pretty well. My older son took a nice mule a few years back over 200.

I've hunted the unit my 13 year old has for elk on my tag and friends tags 3 differnt times and know an area that holds cows when the hunt starts and they get kicked around that will almost certainly be a close shot. I'll need him to practice shooting of sticks mostly. Not likely to be a prone shot. That will be his biggest challenge is shooting well in a sittting or standing on sticks scenario

I've only loaded 139 grain in the 7mm-08. I'll have to look into the larger bullets

Get a good rifle mounted bipod that is adjustable from 13-27" or 11-25" like this. Makes shooting from knees or sitting much easier, quick to deploy, and really stabilizes the rifle.

20161015_070936_zpskpie6g8k.jpg

• Like 2

Have him start practicing shooting from a standing position without stix, start with clays at 50 yards then a 6" paper plate at 100 yards.

• Like 2

Like Lance said, rifle mounted tall bipod is a great option. That is what I have. I used it on the shortest setting laying prone to shoot my cow elk a few years ago. I almost got a chance to use it sitting last year fully extended.

The 7-08 is completely capable of 300 yards if you put the bullet where it should be. I dumped my cow elk @280 yards 2 years ago with a 257 weatherby mag shooting 115gr burger HVLDs, and my reloads for the rifle are tame, probably more like 25-06 round realistically. I took 2 shots, but the 2nd shot wasn't really necessary which I didn't know until afterword. The first 1 double lunged her, and the second one passed through 1 lung and lodged in the far side front shoulder. The first shot would have done the job, but the 2nd shot anchored her and put her on the ground faster. She only made it about 10 yards past the 2nd shot.

• Like 1

Hmm bipod? That's a thought. Ok swivel type worth the money. Harris I assume

Yes. Harris swivel type.

• Like 1

Get in the habit of always shooting with ear protection. Regardless of a brake or not. Your ears will thank you later down the road.

• Like 1

Get in the habit of always shooting with ear protection. Regardless of a brake or not. Your ears will thank you later down the road.

Never understood why guys wouldn't wear ear protection