jessedlc2

Scouting in 3b

hello, I drew a late muzzy bull tag in 3b, I am driving up tommorow from los angeles to do some scouting and get a lay of the land. I only have a few days. I have never hunted elk before any tips or advice for scouting, this will possibly be the only time i get to go before the hunt, thanx in advance

Don't look for elk. This time of year will be very different than December. Look for water sources, high points to glass from and learn the general lay of the land.

Elk can be high or low in that unit at that time. Find some country that is huntable and figure out how to get your eyes on them.

• Like 2

Actually IMO this time of year in 3b is almost exactly like Dec. Not much has changed.

• Like 1

I have been hitting 3b pretty hard in preparation for my antelope hunt. I have seen literally hundreds of elk and have yet to find an elk antler this year. My experience with the late season hunt. Try in the timber if there is NO snow and in the fields after it snows. There are large resident herds off of penrod rd and behind porter mtn estates. If I knew how to post videos I would show some impressive amount of elk.

post-4480-0-45253500-1493694804_thumb.jpg

post-4480-0-42303900-1493694920_thumb.jpg

post-4480-0-17742000-1493695000_thumb.jpg

post-4480-0-98460800-1493695099_thumb.jpg

Last Saturday

post-4480-0-29754900-1493695212_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I do not claim to be an expert on elk. My favorite pastime outside of fishing is looking and tracking animals on game cameras, with all that said....my opinion is the bull in the 3rd pic down is going to be a beast! This early on with a crown that thick, straight and curling only on the end....hes going to be a shooter in my opinion. (most bulls are shooters for me though)

When I am looking at my cams the biggest boys are the ones that start out like that guy right there. Whoever has a tag better be hitting idgaf for info.

Thanks for sharing some of your scouting pics with us....they are like gold to the rest of us "tag-less saps"

• Like 1

post-14228-0-31681500-1493949111_thumb.jpgHello all, I just got back to long beach last night from scouting 3B, all I can say is wow what a beautiful place. First off I just wanted to say thank you for all who helped especially big lake jake for taking me out and showing me around. I did see elk in the mornings and evenings, and i also spotted two different groups of mule deer about 7-10 in each. My first day I spent learning the roads and the second I actually did some hiking logged in about 18 miles total.....I am beat. I hiked to the top of lake mountain as well as around sponsellor and the habitat area. Once again thank you to those who helped. This pic is the top of lake mountain

• Like 1