Healy Arms

Turkey Road Warrior - Ultimate Road Hunting Pro Edition

Last week I was up in the area of BS Gap on The San Carlos and as usual there were a fair number of turkeys talking at sunrise and sunset. But, notably worse than in years gone by, there were a boatload of hunters - camps all over. I probably should have bailed immediately, and eventually did, but I'd come this far so I decided to give it a go.

Morning hunt is ready to begin. It's moonlight only walking and I hear a lone tom calling. I head off his direction. I cut the distance and he calls again. In total I walk about 1/2 mile into a small drainage full of mixed trees and mesquite. I get to what I can best figure is about 200 yards from his roost and I sit down. As the sun begins to light the horizon I hear him drop off the roost. I immediately hen chirp and he lights up. He's interested so I keep him talking - back & forth we go. He's coming my way and getting louder and then he hangs up. He keeps gobbling but he's not closing the gap anymore. As the sun comes up I can see him about 100 or so yards away strutting on the edge of a small ditch full of rocks & brush - and he absolutely doesn't want to cross it. It's a situation that won't fix itself so I begin the big circle to get around the ditch and finish the job.

I figured all of the gobbling this tom was doing could and likely would bring a few hunters my direction, but I didn't imagine what was coming next.

Uphill from the turkey about 300 yards there's a road, and on that road a Toyota Tundra, and in that Tundra a dude stopping-starting-stopping-starting and calling out the window of the truck. The sound of the truck made the tom stop talking, but I knew it was a matter of time before he lit up and talked again. The Toyota was rolling past - he just needed to keep rolling - keep rolling - keep rolling - and right on cue the tom gobbles not once but TWICE. Optimistically, I thought - well - maybe he didn't hear it...

The guy dynamites the brakes - rocks are crunching as the truck skids to a stop - his morning wake-up beer is likely tossed all over the dashboard and the driver's side escape hatch pops open. The guy leaves the door open and the truck running and Bozo starts running - yes RUNNING - downhill with what I later learn is a pump shotgun in one hand and a slate call in the other (not sure how that's gonna work).

I think well, I'm not letting this stupid Hail Mary mess go his way and I walk directly toward the turkey and push him up the opposite hill and out of the area.

As the turkey runs off, lard azz Bozo the Clown shows up and asks me "what in the f are you doing". To which I replied - really man? you're wearing mismatched sweats that are too small, you didn't tie your boots, your truck is running in the middle of the road with the door open, your gun safety sucks, and you want to know what I'm doing? Go back to camp, get ready and try again. This is considered a fail. Start over.

He called me every name in the book under his breath as he made his way back uphill to his truck. He even spun the tires for effect on his way out. Solid moron. The perfect portrait that anti-hunters love to paint. I truly hope he eventually went home empty handed.

• Like 15

You can't fix stupid.

• Like 4

Unfortunately this story doesn't surprise me one bit! Idiot's everywhere!!!!!

Crappy situation.

I don't understand the comment about the pump shotgun and the slate call, though? You saying that combination wouldn't work together or that he should've had a free hand to run downhill??

Crappy situation.

I don't understand the comment about the pump shotgun and the slate call, though? You saying that combination wouldn't work together or that he should've had a free hand to run downhill??

Well - he's running down the hill with both hands full, no pockets to put anything in and he never stopped to pause and call. He ran - with his boots untied and presumably with a loaded shotgun - all the way from the truck to the brush pile the turkey was in full tilt. The whole scene was quite a show. I will guarantee you his license and tag weren't "on his person" - he tried to put the call in his pocket until he realized he didn't have one.

A slate call and a pump shotgun go together quite well - in the right circumstances.

Have you ever seen those shotgun stocks that have a slate call embedded in them? Sounds like he could use one.

As he was running down the hill I would have snuck up to his truck and drove off then left it in gear to end up who knows where.

• Like 2

Idk what's worse, road hunting or purposely chasing game away so others can't kill. Actually that's an easy one for me.

Not sure where your heading with this comment but the correct answer is road hunting. Especially since the road hunter was interrupting a stalk in progress. Granted - he didn't realize it but shame on him for not respecting this bird enough to give him a proper hunt. If he can make all kinds of racket and barrel down the hill for God knows what reason, then he deserves to have the Tom bumped. Look at the bright side - at least he got some exercise walking back up the hill - maybe burned enough calories to eat a ding dong with his beer.

Oh si si I am intrigued on where to get a one handed slate call? Do they have a left or right handed version? I have been trying to do that with my regular slate while running.

Road hunting is shooting out the window.

How was your hunt on the Carlos trphyhntr? Was I at least right on the Ding Dong? Or was it a Twinkie?
Dang 16 posts and already stirring the pot.