Sign in to follow this  
cramerhunts

Royal & Single Season Slams Completed!

After a great trip to Missouri and a last minute trip to Colorado I was able to complete my single season Grand Slam and my 15 year old daughter, Jaycie, was able to complete her Royal Slam. To say we have had an incredible spring is definitely an understatement. We both know we are beyond blessed.

In Missouri we hunted with Honey Creek Outfitters owned by Kevin Harris out of Trenton. We had an uneventful flight and drive to get to our camp.

post-216-0-89739400-1494888885_thumb.jpg

We met our guide Lonnie Flowers and got settled in. He said he had some birds on lock down and laid out the game plan. We had some close calls the next morning but just didn't get a shot. Around 10 we were able to draw in a couple of Toms and made good on a double. Not only that but we found a lucky shed and one of the birds had a double beard and the other had some great spurs.

post-216-0-17843600-1494889063_thumb.jpg

post-216-0-62902600-1494889148_thumb.jpg

post-216-0-92583400-1494889174_thumb.jpg

Shortly after we met up with Kevin and took a trip to Hazel Creek Taxidermy. Later that day we met up with three time world champion caller Don Shipp and Media Productions Supervisor at Duck Commander Lyle Sinkey. We had a great fish and turkey fry with some very cool stories. It was decided then that we would split up in the morning with Jaycie hunting with Lonnie and I'd go with Don. To make a long story a little shorter Don and I worked two birds for over three hours and after multiple set ups and finally me sneaking around a ridge we were able to close the deal. This by far was one of the best turkey hunts I've ever been a part of. Amazing to hunt with Don and witness his skills in the turkey woods. Jaycie and Lonnie unfortunately had a slow morning.

post-216-0-00772600-1494890041_thumb.jpg

On the last day Lonnie, Jaycie and myself worked a huge gobbler for almost four hours without having him come into range. After which we checked one last farm and Lonnie called this Tom in all the way across a big open field. Was quite the show and one we will remember forever.

post-216-0-97488100-1494890197_thumb.jpg

Here is a video I put together of our hunt.

This hunt allowed Jaycie to complete her Royal Slam. I am super proud of her and hope to catch up to her someday.

post-216-0-60939900-1494890309_thumb.jpg

After a quick week at work I hustled up to Colorado to try for my Merriam's. I got into Trinidad and got set up in my motel. Early the next morning I met up with David Fox, owner of Hitlist Outfitters. He said he'd been scouting a field for the last few weeks and had a good idea where to set up. Not long after the sun came up we had a number of hens and jakes all over us. I caught some movement off to my right and saw a gobbler sneaking in to see what all of the commotion was about. I had to let him walk on by as I was pinned down. A short while later we were able to call the Tom back in and I made good on my shot. Hunt the North was there filming the whole thing and I hope to get a copy soon.

post-216-0-67421700-1494891068_thumb.jpg

post-216-0-66858800-1494891095_thumb.jpg

This completed my Single Season Grand Slam.

post-216-0-48832200-1494891143_thumb.jpg

Most definitely time for a little rest and a lot of work but I sure am going to miss hearing those gobbles echoing through the woods.

• Like 9

Wow! That is a great season and I am sure you will be paying for it (I don't meant $$) for a bit. Enjoyed the read and video.

Hopefully we can get out this summer.

• Like 1

Its been so fun following your season both here and on IG! Nice job to both of you. You've got me so motivated to get Sydney's Royal going, starting next season!

• Like 1

I haven't been on cwt lately but glad I decided today to check it out. Great write-up Phil and congratulations to you and your beautiful daughter Jaycie. There is no doubt you know how blessed you are and Jaycie of you as well. Thanks for sharing and keep up the great family memories. :)

TJ

• Like 1

That's awesome Phil I knew a post like this was going to show up here at some point. You are the man. And Jaycie might even be a step ahead of you.

• Like 1

CH

Congratulations to you and your Daughter for your success!!!.... Awesome video and pics !!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!

• Like 1

Phil- Awesome write up and what a great time to be in the woods with good people hunting turkeys. Truly a remarkable season for both of you, I'm so jealous.

• Like 1

Nice paint brush hanging on one. Congrats. It never gets old ,does it.................BOB!

• Like 1

Unbelievable spring you 2 had! Love seeing the amount of time you spend in the with your family. You are doing it right Phil

• Like 1