Sign in to follow this  
Snapshot

Big Montana Rattlesnake

This big snake was caught just outside of Ennis, in the Madison Valley.

Montana is my, home away from home, when I can get up there. Have spent many days wandering the banks of the Madison River flyfishing. Never saw anything but Garter Snakes. But I don't go out of my way looking for anything that has venom.

post-1241-0-61467300-1496324814_thumb.jpg

Tastes like chicken, right?

I'd have to say no to picking that one up. Good lord look at the body mass. Now that's an impressive snake right there. Gotta let that one live just in case there's a chance he could get bigger. It would be an honor just to see that thing in person. Thanks for posting.

North of Ennis, on the Madison river, is a place called the Bear Trap Canyon Wilderness area. You have to hike a ways to get in there. I have heard from multiple sources, that there are many Rattlesnakes in that area.

As cold as it gets in Montana, they must find areas deep underground to den up for the winter?

My grandpa was a mechanic in Yellowstone when my dad was growing up. He told a story of a road grader cutting into a bank in the spring and exposing a snake den. Said he abandoned the piece of equipment there and when the recovery crew showed up it was covered i snakes from the blade to the cab.

My grandpa was a mechanic in Yellowstone when my dad was growing up. He told a story of a road grader cutting into a bank in the spring and exposing a snake den. Said he abandoned the piece of equipment there and when the recovery crew showed up it was covered i snakes from the blade to the cab.

An experience like that would give me nightmares.

That's gotta be one of those hybrid rattlers right... half raTyler half python...