lancetkenyon

Two New Rifle Upgrades Coming Soon To An Addict Near You...

Cabela's online. I have been checking about 15 sites over the last few weeks at least once a day, and Cabela's had 2 in stock. So I jumped on them.

Since you are looking to shave some weight did you consider the PT&G aluminum shroud? I may go that route when I get my bolt back from LRI in a couple of weeks.

I actually have already upgraded the firing pin to TI and swapped in a Wolff Blitzschnell spring in the bolt. The action is OLD, and I would have some intermittent light strikes, so I upgraded and BOOM.....literally. Every time now.

My rifle was the first year Remington brought out the stainless so about 24 years old. Did you buy the Tubb firing pin? Lots of people had issues with it. My bolt has never been apart since I bought it.

What's the benefit of the spring, just a little more oomph?

My rifle was the first year Remington brought out the stainless so about 24 years old. Did you buy the Tubb firing pin? Lots of people had issues with it. My bolt has never been apart since I bought it.

if you install a lighter firing pin with a stiffer spring the pain accelerates faster when the trigger is pulled reducing lock time. This reduces the time you have available to wiggle the rifle and screw up a shot.
  • Like 2

if you install a lighter firing pin with a stiffer spring the pain accelerates faster when the trigger is pulled reducing lock time. This reduces the time you have available to wiggle the rifle and screw up a shot.

Called "lock time". While it may not sound like much, .5 to .25 milliseconds, I can make a bit of difference in accuracy by reducing sympathetic movement which causes errors.......or so I have read.

For me, it was eliminating a possible light strike on a once in a lifetime opportunity. Peace of mind is worth every penny if you have ever had a single misfire.

Oh...and I got my 6.5 SS comp die set and 100 pieces of brass ordered too. So those should be showing up fairly soon as well.

• Like 1

True, but after years of shooting High Power Silhouette with a stock 700 pin and spring I never felt handicapped. I almost tore down a 788 to build but lack of a decent trigger at the time prevented it but that type of shooting is really so much more about the ability of the shooter than lock time. From what I've recently heard the lowly Savage Axis has the fastest lock time out there now.

Barreled action is looking good.

24670_zpspgvne81p.jpeg

That looks awesome ! My proof came in the mail a couple days ago i'm really excited to see how these barrel compare to other stainless steel barrels

Called "lock time". While it may not sound like much, .5 to .25 milliseconds, I can make a bit of difference in accuracy by reducing sympathetic movement which causes errors.......or so I have read.

Lance, if you get bored you can calculate barrel time reductions for reductions in barrel length... grin

Neat rifle!

Lance, prolly missed my question. How are you forming your brass? Thanks...

.280AI brass came straight from Nosler already "Ackleyized".

6.5 SS brass is being bought directly from Rich Sherman, already run through a die, shoulder bumped back and formed to 40°, necked down from Norma .300SAUM brass and necks turned. Just need to final fire form to chamber, but it is very close at around 95% formed and fully prepped. I could have done all of the prep work myself starting with virgin .300SAUM, but saved myself some work with as busy as I am and had Rich perform the tedious stuff.

• Like 1

I figure the extra $25/box for the .280AI brass over the .280Rem brass pays for itself in the 100 rounds I would have to shoot just to fire form brass before I even start load development. Bullets, primers, powder, and most of all, my time. Sure, the cream of wheat method gets you close, but not as close as the Nosler .280AI brass does.