Sign in to follow this  
Zeke-BE

Camo KUIU layering

Looking into nicer fabric and technology in camo. Looking at the Kuiu brand. But I don't know of anywhere to try it on, it looks like its by mail only. Does anybody use this stuff and what models do they layer themselves between early, mid, and late hunts?

Kuiu is all I wear now for mid to late season hunts as my layering system. I wear Sitka base layers, since I have them already, but I would go Kuiu if I didn't.

I have:

Guide DCS pants in Verde and Vias

Yukon rain pants in Major brown and Verde

Guide DCS vest in Vias and Verde 2.0

Guide DCS jackets in Verde, Vias, and Major brown

Teton soft shell jacket in Verde

Super down jacket in Verde

Yukon Rain Jacket in Verde

Depending on temps and weather, I wear my rain pants as a wind pant/outer layer, and my guide pants over jeans. I can layer both over jeans if it gets really cold and be fine into the 0° range, even when sitting and gassing.

Tops can go from a single layer vest or jacket, to vest/down jacket/guide jacket layers.

Most of my stuff are mediums, but my brown Guide DCS jacket is a large, and easily goes over 3-5 layers. They do run a touch small compared to other brands, and are an athletic fit, so meant to be closer fitting.

Taylor has appropriated some of mine too.

20161119_085720_zpsy6miwef9.jpg

20161201_171627_zps5z3q4l93.jpg

20161015_072708_zpsgxjv9kmc.jpg

2015-12-02%2020.40.31_zpsocgy9kld.jpg

20151128_150801_zpsggs1sjry.jpg

• Like 2

Huh ive seen all these pictures before I don't remember you having this camo. ha ha . Yeah I like the Major Brown and the Vias combo. I also like the foam padded knee pad ones to

My thinking was

1st layer Ultra Tibura zip t

2nd layer 200 Pelotan zip t

3rd layer 240 Pelotan

4th Guide DCS jacket

Do you think I need the vest for colder weather?

I won't be buying new camo for a while as I have a pretty substantial amount of real tree stuff in various brands and don't plan to invest in new stuff till this current stuff is old and tattered. Also, with everyone coming out with their own proprietary patterns, you can find the older stuff at a fraction of the price. But if I were to invest in higher end fabrics and camo I would look into First Lite. Great products and a great company that is highly committed to conservation.

• Like 2

I have quite a bit of hunting clothes from different companies. Of the higher end stuff, I prefer Sitka over Kuiu and first lite. The pattern doesnt really matter to me as I usually try not to have matching uppers and bottoms, it is just a preference thing for me. I tend to wear solids as my bottoms and like Prana pants and Eddie Bauer guide pants. For the tops, the Sitka fits me much better. Kuiu uppers always tend to be short for me and I am not tall at 5' 10". When I put my arms in the air, my belly button just about pops out with Kuiu. The quality of Kuiu is great imo, I just prefer the fit of Sitka more. I will say that after wearing the higher end camo, it is almost impossible to wear my older camo. The new stuff is just so much more comfortable. While they are considerably more comfortable, they are also much more "delicate" than jeans and canvas style pants. I do not mind the trade off, it just gives me another reason to spend more money on camo when they wear out.

They have a truck coming to phx in October to try on. Most of the tops art tru to size for an athletic build. If you are over weight order big. Bottoms are accurate size wise. Morino is more comfortable than peloton. Guide jacket and guide serise is nice.

• Like 1

I have quite a bit of hunting clothes from different companies. Of the higher end stuff, I prefer Sitka over Kuiu and first lite. The pattern doesnt really matter to me as I usually try not to have matching uppers and bottoms, it is just a preference thing for me. I tend to wear solids as my bottoms and like Prana pants and Eddie Bauer guide pants. For the tops, the Sitka fits me much better. Kuiu uppers always tend to be short for me and I am not tall at 5' 10". When I put my arms in the air, my belly button just about pops out with Kuiu. The quality of Kuiu is great imo, I just prefer the fit of Sitka more. I will say that after wearing the higher end camo, it is almost impossible to wear my older camo. The new stuff is just so much more comfortable. While they are considerably more comfortable, they are also much more "delicate" than jeans and canvas style pants. I do not mind the trade off, it just gives me another reason to spend more money on camo when they wear out.

Hmmmm ok. Im 5-11 and right at 200lbs.

I am 6' -5" and 155#. The mediums fit me great, with some room to layer base/LS Tee/vest or down. My Guide DCS in Major brown is a large, and I can layer an additional 2 layers under it if needed.

• Like 1

I have a kuiu and like it a lot you cando lite weight early season to multi layer late season durability in fair but weight is low. I previously had realtree pattern from bass pro and it wore you out just from how much the clothes weighed. Lost about half the weight and more comfort with kuiu.

• Like 1

I am 6' -5" and 155#. The mediums fit me great, with some room to layer base/LS Tee/vest or down. My Guide DCS in Major brown is a large, and I can layer an additional 2 layers under it if needed.

Quit spending money on rifles and buy some food! :P

• Like 3

Ethiopians send Lance food out of compassion.

• Like 3

Hmmmm ok. Im 5-11 and right at 200lbs.

I am 5-10" 175lbs and wear size large in everything Kuiu. I would think you might need XL

• Like 1

I'm 6'2" and 205 I wear xl in everything.

I hate the "trendy" aspect of Kuiu camo but I love this gear and so I buy almost everything in solid colors.

• Like 2