Sign in to follow this  
Guest oneshot

Hunting has Changed for the Worst...

I'm gonna throw on a flat brimmer, buy a kuikazoo shirt, pick up a yeti cup, join face space, and learn to frown. Then I'm gonna shoot this buck that's eating my peach and apple trees!! I'll make it look good and legit! I'd kill his whole family if it was legal but that's another post.

whenever someone posts a giant buck and brags and gets 10,000 likes and pro staff calls magazines etc. just know this one thing............

just one little thing......

Beckers wife has probably killed something bigger. and will prob let do it again this year.

And either did it:

A. pregnant

B. With a bow

Or C. With a muzzy.

• Like 1

its not the tape measures, its the followers on instagram and facebook. that the new measuring tape

And the first comment under every pic of a nice bull or buck is...."what does it score?"

I can't lie I pretty much only hunt for scores and am disappointed when I don't kill a giant, which is every single year of my hunting life so far but it's still a main reason I do it every year

Me too. My point is we can all tell a big bull/buck without a tape and calculator.

right.

Just an observation reading about guy's who got drawn and their hopes for their kids/selves on some web-sites...

It has been happening for many years now, I could blame it on all the "Hunting shows/personality's", but personal actions are what counts.

Guy's doing WHATEVER to kill high-scoring Bucks, pushing legal limits, historical ethical/moral bounderies.

Setting their children up for failure by placing them in possition to shoot bigger Bucks then they themselves have killed.

As Hunting becomes more about "X inches of antler!!!", "Nice Buck but, the G2's are weak", Why did you shoot a small Buck???", then the enjoyment/Brotherhood of the Hunt is pushed back to something ugly...

I guess I kinda fit into this also, at times, I don't even think of shooting a Buck unless it's a mature deer (i have killed 100's of Deer though and the kill is NOT whats important to me anymore), but I also don't rag on anyone for shooting the first Buck/smallest Buck, Their tag, Their Hunt, and they deserve praise for doing what alot of folks can't/won't do ...

Have a safe, memorable Hunting season...

Couldnt have said it better

Everyone likes to hang a tag on something, but I've had some great times when nobody in camp got anything.

• Like 3

Kinda like putting up a topic and seeing how many people you can get to respond ? To many people worry about what other people think. And you know how I feel about that!

• Like 1

I'm gonna throw on a flat brimmer, buy a kuikazoo shirt, pick up a yeti cup, join face space, and learn to frown. Then I'm gonna shoot this buck that's eating my peach and apple trees!! I'll make it look good and legit! I'd kill his whole family if it was legal but that's another post.

Gotta sit ten feet back for the pic to make it look giant. then put all your outfitters watermarks on the pic. Oh and make sure your 7 man glassing posse is standing around you.

• Like 2

Gotta sit ten feet back for the pic to make it look giant. then put all your outfitters watermarks on the pic. Oh and make sure your 7 man glassing posse is standing around you.
that means I have to make 6 more friends and learn what a watermark is.
  • Like 5

Guest oneshot

It's all about "likes" "followers" and getting that prostaff status.

If you have Facebook, holy crap people can't tell the difference between a bobcat and jaguar.

That BOBCAT photo is the one I took a few weeks ago...posted on cwt in the campfire under " Fine Bobcat"...then it got spread far and wide on Fb, even after explaining the photo was taken with zoom, photo was cropped and auto-adjusted for clearness, low angle lighting, explaining we watched the Bobcat walk away, stub tail/boxy face...Folks are STILL insisting it's a Jag... hahaha...

I have been out hunting many times and found deer and elk both with only horns or head/cape removed and the rest of the animal left to rot. I understand some are only interested in the trophy but to waste all that meat should be a crime. There are hundreds of people that are more than happy to go with you and process the animal if you don't want it but every year I find more bodies. Last year went with friend who I had never gone with before. After days of him passing on every buck he saw because "Its not big enough" he finally got a nice buck in 36B. I nearly lost my mind when he proceeded to remove the head and cape with every intention of leaving the meat to rot. I took the meat of course but will never go hunting with him again. If your going to kill a food animal you owe it to that animal to take more than a trophy. The best hunting trips I have ever been on were not the best because we got the biggest animal but because of the time spent with good friends and family. The worst trips have always been dominated by someone's quest to get the biggest and it has ruined several hunts and is a primary reason I wont hunt with some people. When people ask me to go hunting with them if all I have heard is their stories about how big the animals they take are or how big the animal they are looking to take has to be I just say no thanks im gonna be busy. Why go with someone who is going to get upset when that trophy animal doesn't show up and then piss and wine on the last day of the hunt when they get nothing or had to settle for a 3X3. Hunting hasn't changed. The people that are out hunting have. For every respectable hunter out in the field there are 10 that are not.

• Like 5

What hasn't changed for the worse in this country?

I don't know if things are really that much different from when I was a kid or if I'm just getting more aware of it as I get older, but I can't read a single 'news' article or go to the grocery story or even drive to work without bumping into enough rude, obnoxious freak show people to make me think the whole dang world has gone insane

• Like 2

I have been out hunting many times and found deer and elk both with only horns or head/cape removed and the rest of the animal left to rot. I understand some are only interested in the trophy but to waste all that meat should be a crime.

sounds like a poacher not a hunter

• Like 1

It's all about "likes" "followers" and getting that prostaff status.

If you have Facebook, holy crap people can't tell the difference between a bobcat and jaguar.

That BOBCAT photo is the one I took a few weeks ago...posted on cwt in the campfire under " Fine Bobcat"...then it got spread far and wide on Fb, even after explaining the photo was taken with zoom, photo was cropped and auto-adjusted for clearness, low angle lighting, explaining we watched the Bobcat walk away, stub tail/boxy face...Folks are STILL insisting it's a Jag... hahaha...

I trolled mannnnyyyyy dumbasses who insisted it was a jag. I don't do well with stupidity.

• Like 1

I believe social media has been the most recent cause of the "change". Before that it was Internet, websites like this. Before that TV shows, before that Newspaper, Before that Big buck contests in the local sporting good stores, before that money (commercialization of pigeons and bison). So on and so forth.

There will always be something, hunting is always changing. How are we going to influence it for the better, and what are we teaching our posterity are the questions I'm worried about.

I have almost given up all social media because of the current trend, but I still love to get on this site and read others stories, see others successes and share my own. To me it is much bigger than the "look at me "attitude. I've made quite a few friends on this site and I hope I can contribute to make it better.

This site would be so much better if more people shared their stories and pictures. I see and read too many of the "regulars" that do not contribute for one reason or another but then complain about this site going downhill. Hunting, CW.com and many other things in life are what you make them. To me CW.com means enough to me that I try to do my part in making it a great place to be.

• Like 9