Red Rabbit

New B&C World Record Coues

I ain't shot it yet, but supposed YOU did. What would you do? Many of us dream of shooting a monster buck, but what if you actually got Godzilla?

Tell your closest hunting bud sworn to secrecy that you got a nice buck, and let your modesty/personal satisfaction prevail? No one knows but you and him.

Enter it and have it panel scored to honor the trophy, and remain an anonymous hunter (if you could get by without releasing your name)?

Publish your story in the trophy mags?

Sell it to Cabelas, Bass Pro, or a private collector, get a reproduction made for your wall, and use the money to take a dream hunt?

Sell the trophy and donate the money to charity?

Are you prepared for the publicity, security and personal attacks on legality that would go with the trophy?

I've thought about this before, I'd keep it quiet and put my house in full protection mode, I would NOT take the rack to a taxidermist because others will be able to see it. I wouldnt write up a magazine article, just put it on the wall and enjoy the success of another hunting season. I would avoid all the publicity...I'd leave all that publicity for hollywood folks.

Good topic

I already have and it is just in a pile of skulls and hornes in my garage.

I would first post here first! ;)

Then tour, plaster my mug on every mag I could so I could make my Dad proud!

I would keep the original antlers though. Maybe put it in a Cabelas on loan.

I would let my current reputation and ethics go against any legality questions on how the buck was taken.

We can all dream huh?!

I would never know if it was the record because a tape measure would never touch it.

We all know there is no right or wrong answer to this hypothetical thread, but it is fun to think about and see how different everyones thoughts are!

If I killed the "New B&C World Record Coues".................

I honestly would feel guilty and selfish if I didn't have him scored and if I didn't share him with all the other "Coues Deer Freaks" like myself in this world! I definitely would post him here first to share with my CWT.com family, and I would then write up an amazing article detailing the country the buck called home, the thrill and challenges of the hunt, and best of all, the photos of the magnificent Coues for all to admire. I feel that sharing your trophy in the form of photos and stories is just another form of showing respect to the animal and gives him credit for being smart enough to grow old enough to wear record class antlers! And "sometimes" the hunter in the "hero pic" actually out smarted the trophy and in that case they should be admired for their skill and knowledge as well. As far as the publicity, security and personal attacks on legality........I really like what Chef said, "I would let my current reputation and ethics go against any legality questions on how the buck was taken" Now, when it comes to the selling part..........it would have to be a big number for me to part with a trophy of any size! I place a very high value on all my trophies.....even the small ones. But let's get real.......give me a replica and more money than I make in at least one year......I'll do it! I can go on several hunts and kill several more trophies plus still have enough money to make my life easier! Why not.......I killed the buck, I have the memories of the hunt, I know what the buck looked like alive in my scope.......nobody else can take that away or claim it as theirs. They can own the antlers, but the trophy was hunted and taken by me. For all the guys saying they would never sell their trophy, I have a hard time believing em'. Either they have enough money already :blink: or they just know they won't ever be in that position, so it's admirable to just say they wouldn't sell! And that's my $.02 ;) JIM>

Well said Jim except for the part of selling the original antlers. I would have a hard time parting with them but I would sell the rights for the cabelas, bass pro and sportsmans warehouse stores to use replicas.

Take the new world record?? I'd have to say that I'd sell it in a heartbeat (and I don't part with ANY of my trophies, but come on people, its worth a potential GOLDMINE!) and I'd in turn buy my dream hunts..that is if I was offered enough for the head, of course..and my dream hunts being a full bag 21 day safari in Tanzania with 4 of the big 5 and all of the "glamor" antelope and gazelle such as Roberts and Grants gazelle, lesser kudu, gerenuk and such, and then a High Altai Argali hunt in Mongolia. If I were to do those two hunts, I'd hang up the rifles and just retire and become strictly a bird hunter!! I'd be done!!

Take the new world record?? I'd have to say that I'd sell it in a heartbeat (and I don't part with ANY of my trophies, but come on people, its worth a potential GOLDMINE!) and I'd in turn buy my dream hunts..that is if I was offered enough for the head, of course..and my dream hunts being a full bag 21 day safari in Tanzania with 4 of the big 5 and all of the "glamor" antelope and gazelle such as Roberts and Grants gazelle, lesser kudu, gerenuk and such, and then a High Altai Argali hunt in Mongolia. If I were to do those two hunts, I'd hang up the rifles and just retire and become strictly a bird hunter!! I'd be done!!

I think you've an inflated view of the value of a set of antlers, even a set larger than Ed Stockwell's. A 21-day full-bag Tanzania safari will cost about $35,000 in daily rates, not counting travel from Tucson, charter flights, gun fees, and all the other fees the government tacks on, before you pull a trigger. Then add the trophy fees for a "full-bag" of four of the Big Five, plus all of Tanzania's glamour antelope species, plus tips, dipping, trophy expediting, shipping, etc., and you could double that. Add the argali hunt and you're talking more than $100,000. I can't imagine even the richest antler collector paying anywhere near that much.

Barbara Stockwell, I suspect, would give a lot of thought to selling Ed's world record antlers if someone offered a fifth of the cost of your hunts in Tanzania and Mongolia.

Forget about making money from magazine articles. You might sell one to Outdoor Life or Field and Stream (but not both) for $1,000 -- if you're a good-enough writer. More likely, someone else will write and sell your story. The smaller outdoor magazines pay $300 or so per article, but after a couple of articles are published your market will dry up.

The manufacturers of the equipment you used, MIGHT pay a small amount for your endorsement if their ad agencies recommended endorsements, which most won't. At any rate, don't expect to make much money here, either.

As for personal appearances after shooting a world record you can forget that, too, unless you're the greatest showman on earth, which few of us are.

If I were to take a buck bigger than Stockwell's, the first thing I would do would be to try to get a wildlife manager to follow me to the scene and take lots of photos to document where and when I shot it and with what. (There are just too many people who like to spread rumors and lies about record breakers.)

After doing that, I'd jump up and click my heels, spit twice, and yell, "HOT dang, WHOOPEE!"

Bill Quimby

I can dot 'i's all day long on a target, but some how or another have managed to miss 5 deer (cleanly) with my bow so far.

At this point I'd be ecstatic just to connect, be it on a spike or a monster. And when I do, of course the picture will go up here, but nobody's gettin my antlers.

I think you've an inflated view of the value of a set of antlers, even a set larger than Ed Stockwell's. A 21-day full-bag Tanzania safari will cost about $35,000 in daily rates, not counting travel from Tucson, charter flights, gun fees, and all the other fees the government tacks on, before you pull a trigger. Then add the trophy fees for a "full-bag" of four of the Big Five, plus all of Tanzania's glamour antelope species, plus tips, dipping, trophy expediting, shipping, etc., and you could double that. Add the argali hunt and you're talking more than $100,000. I can't imagine even the richest antler collector paying anywhere near that much.

Barbara Stockwell, I suspect, would give a lot of thought to selling Ed's world record antlers if someone offered a fifth of the cost of your hunts in Tanzania and Mongolia.

Forget about making money from magazine articles. You might sell one to Outdoor Life or Field and Stream (but not both) for $1,000 -- if you're a good-enough writer. More likely, someone else will write and sell your story. The smaller outdoor magazines pay $300 or so per article, but after a couple of articles are published your market will dry up.

The manufacturers of the equipment you used, MIGHT pay a small amount for your endorsement if their ad agencies recommended endorsements, which most won't. At any rate, don't expect to make much money here, either.

As for personal appearances after shooting a world record you can forget that, too, unless you're the greatest showman on earth, which few of us are.

If I were to take a buck bigger than Stockwell's, the first thing I would do would be to try to get a wildlife manager to follow me to the scene and take lots of photos to document where and when I shot it and with what. (There are just too many people who like to spread rumors and lies about record breakers.)

After doing that, I'd jump up and click my heels, spit twice, and yell, "HOT dang, WHOOPEE!"

Bill Quimby

wasn't the Milo Hanson buck estimated at well over 500K?? If so, I think I WOULD have plenty to go on my dream hunts.. and I already knew what those hunts would cost.. but we were already talking "what-if's" as it is, so why not shoot for the stars...

bill, I know of a certain buck or bull that was offered over what scottyboy said Milos buck went for.... so, yes a goldmine is dreamable!

i will let you guys know what i do with the number 2 buck in the world this december when I kill him ( im thinking 141 3/8 net) :D

That's phenomenal if the Millo buck's antlers sold for more than half a million dollars, and that's enough to do a bunch of hunting. I wonder if a Coues whitetail deer would bring anywhere near that much, though.

Bill Quimby