THREEDFLYER

Kodiak Canvas 10x14 Tent Review - 2017

Was getting tired of the poor limited space and complicated set-up of my dome tents and after reading some reviews and watching a few videos I decided to bite the bullet and spend the $650 on one of the Kodiak Canvas Deluxe Flex Bow 10X14 tents.

I left my home in Prescott Valley, AZ on September 20th and began the 1,050 mile journey from my home to my elk hunting spot in Idaho.

The weather was clear when I arrived and mild temperatures and I set up the tent in under 30 minutes easily by myself. The set-up is super easy, but if you invest in one, be sure to set it up at least once prior to heading out to camp just to get familiar with the process. Plus, the manufacturer recommends that you set it up and spray it down with water to "swell" up the seam threads to season the canvas a bit.

The set-up process involves laying out the ground tarp (included) and then spreading out the tent. Then you stack down all the metal loops all the way around the tent base, there are several and the metal stakes are heavy duty. Next you install the roof poles and center ridge poles. Then you install the two vertical end posts, one end at a time to erect the tent. Last, you set up the attached awning with two extension polls and two guy lines. And you are DONE!

**NOTE** This tent is held down only by the metal stakes that secure the bottom of the tent to the ground. It's important that you set all your stakes securely in the ground to avoid issues with the wind. I had NO problems with wind on my trip, the tent stayed put and the canvas remained tight.

As you can see in the photo, I have my Cabelas XL cot and my Butler Bag bedroll set up at one end and my cooking station at the other. Way more room than needed for one guy and two guys with cots and all the gear would still have lots of room. Three guys on cots would get a bit cramped but can be done....but some of the gear would need to stay in the truck.

So, for the weather part.......the first couple of nights the temps plunged down into the upper teens at night and we had some light snow.

I brought along a Little Buddy propane heater and was glad I did! I only ran the heater when getting dressed or messing around in the tent, but not while sleeping and I cracked the vents a little for fresh air. I was really impressed with how fast the tent warmed up and how well it retained the heat while the heater was turned on. Of course it cooled off fast when it was off.

Overall I am VERY pleased with the tent and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a durable/sturdy tent that has lots of room and will last for years to come.

Here's a link...

http://www.kodiakcanvas.com/10-x-14-ft-flex-bow-vx-tent/

post-13910-0-21409900-1508296165_thumb.jpg

post-13910-0-53704000-1508296181_thumb.jpg

post-13910-0-84031700-1508296230_thumb.jpg

post-13910-0-74526300-1508296263_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Cabela's bargain cave had a 10x14 for mid $400s. (not sure if it was $425 or $475.) Unopened box. Just FYI if someone is looking. Seemed to be around same price as online at Competitive Edge, where my brother and good friend bought theirs.

I have same tent w/o side vents. Spend 10-days in Utah and would never go with another brand. We had heat, rain, hail, with great results.

Great review. Thanks for sharing

• Like 1

I use a painters tarp on the floor. It makes clean up easy and protects the floor.

That's a good idea, is it canvas or cloth? I have a heavy duty vinyl tarp I put down underneath the tent.

• Like 1

I use a painters tarp on the floor. It makes clean up easy and protects the floor.

That's a good idea, is it canvas or cloth? I have a heavy duty vinyl tarp I put down underneath the tent.

I put a vinyl tarp under the tent and the cloth painter tarp inside. My vinyl tarp is 1 foot larger all the way around so mud will not splatter on the sides during a rain storm.
  • Like 3

I purchased my tent from Competitive Edge and got free shipping. If I recall correctly I paid $650 for this Deluxe version and that included a FREE heavy duty ground tarp to put under it.

The floor is amazingly heavy duty, kind of reminds me of the material used on some high quality inflatable boats.

As for keeping the floor clean, I would spread out a moving blanket on the inside when I was running around inside without shoes/boots on. But the floor cleans up very easily if it does get dirty.

This tent is awesome. I have had the whole family on several camping trips. Pack n play, baby bassinet, and a queen size aero bed for the wife and I. Even with all this mess there is still plenty of room to move around and of course stand up.

I remember getting it on sale from competitive edge. Free ground tarp etc...

The only negative would be the white roof. It glows as soon as the sun comes up.

The moving blanket is a great idea.

• Like 1

Was getting tired of the poor limited space and complicated set-up of my dome tents and after reading some reviews and watching a few videos I decided to bite the bullet and spend the $650 on one of the Kodiak Canvas Deluxe Flex Bow 10X14 tents.

I left my home in Prescott Valley, AZ on September 20th and began the 1,050 mile journey from my home to my elk hunting spot in Idaho.

The weather was clear when I arrived and mild temperatures and I set up the tent in under 30 minutes easily by myself. The set-up is super easy, but if you invest in one, be sure to set it up at least once prior to heading out to camp just to get familiar with the process. Plus, the manufacturer recommends that you set it up and spray it down with water to "swell" up the seam threads to season the canvas a bit.

The set-up process involves laying out the ground tarp (included) and then spreading out the tent. Then you stack down all the metal loops all the way around the tent base, there are several and the metal stakes are heavy duty. Next you install the roof poles and center ridge poles. Then you install the two vertical end posts, one end at a time to erect the tent. Last, you set up the attached awning with two extension polls and two guy lines. And you are DONE!

**NOTE** This tent is held down only by the metal stakes that secure the bottom of the tent to the ground. It's important that you set all your stakes securely in the ground to avoid issues with the wind. I had NO problems with wind on my trip, the tent stayed put and the canvas remained tight.

As you can see in the photo, I have my Cabelas XL cot and my Butler Bag bedroll set up at one end and my cooking station at the other. Way more room than needed for one guy and two guys with cots and all the gear would still have lots of room. Three guys on cots would get a bit cramped but can be done....but some of the gear would need to stay in the truck.

So, for the weather part.......the first couple of nights the temps plunged down into the upper teens at night and we had some light snow.

I brought along a Little Buddy propane heater and was glad I did! I only ran the heater when getting dressed or messing around in the tent, but not while sleeping and I cracked the vents a little for fresh air. I was really impressed with how fast the tent warmed up and how well it retained the heat while the heater was turned on. Of course it cooled off fast when it was off.

Overall I am VERY pleased with the tent and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a durable/sturdy tent that has lots of room and will last for years to come.

Here's a link...

http://www.kodiakcanvas.com/10-x-14-ft-flex-bow-vx-tent/

In the photos above it looks like you are cooking in the tent. Do you have any issues doing so (excessive smoke, odors, etc.)?

• Like 1

I put a vinyl tarp under the tent and the cloth painter tarp inside. My vinyl tarp is 1 foot larger all the way around so mud will not splatter on the sides during a rain storm.
Just curious how you stake down the tent if your tarp is wider then the the tent. Do you put stakes through the tarp?

I put the stake through the tarp when necessary. I love my Kodiak tent. I wish I had bought the model pictured above with the big side windows, but other than that, I have no regrets.

• Like 1

Just curious how you stake down the tent if your tarp is wider then the the tent. Do you put stakes through the tarp?
Carabiners and mule tape and stake just outside of the tarp.

I thought about cutting a big piece of that green outdoor carpet for the inside of mine but not sure if I would want to pack it around every time.

The painters tarp is pretty light weight and goes in the washing machine.
  • Like 3