Sign in to follow this  
Coach

Building an AR-10

I didn't want to derail the the other barrel length thread, so I wanted to ask specifically about barrel length on an AR 10. It seems most of them max out around 18 inches. I've been looking on Gunbroker for a 24 - 26" upper and it seems they are kind of an anomaly on this platform.

Am I wrong to think a longer barrel will translate into better performance and accuracy in a .308?

I have a 24inch barrel on my 6.5 grendel I built. I love it.

Most loads for 308 use a moderately fast powder and it typically doesn't see much extended long range, 500yds plus. With that said, for me I would be looking at 20-22" barrels for both asthetics and handling.

Thanks for all the replies. One of the reasons I brought this up was I was looking for a 24-26" barrel. In the .308, can you get the full benefit from an 20" barrel?

Depending on your powder/bullet combo you can achieve full powder burn inside of 20". There has been a lot written on the accuracy benefits of a shorter barrel. Cliff notes would read something along the lines of "shorter is stiffer, less prone to harmonic vibration/variations".

I had a TacOps .308 (Echo-51) and that smith swears by short barrel 308s. He wanted an 18" and I wanted 22". We went with 20" and would have been happy with an 18" after shooting it! Thing was a hammer and I didn't notice any velocity loss over longer barreled 308s. Stiff load of Varget and 175 Bergers being mistaken in the pits for a WinMag at the 1K yd line in Yuma. At the end of the day it was still a 308 and it was sold to invest in longer range stuff.

Whatever you build I hope you share the pics.

Don't know about a gas gun, but at one time some gun hack wrote that with a .308 there was little velocity difference between barrel lengths. At that time I had a Remington 788 with a 20 inch barrel and a Remington 700 Varmit with a 24 in barrel and a chronograph. Tested them both with the same loads and sure enough no difference.

I used to hang out with a former Green Beret and we got to talking .308s one day. He told me his amorers and CIA contacts all said 20" barrel was the optimal barrel for a .308. Take that for what its worth.

But yes, pics!

For my AR-10 build I originally decided on a 20 inch. I ended up with an 18 because of a great deal.

Perhaps I am still thinking in AR-15 mode but my 18inch upper in a beast (heavy!).