Sign in to follow this  
Hunt7112

6.5-284 norma Hornady case sticking ?

I have a Savage 6.5-284 norma had originally bought nosler ammo to shoot for barrel break in and then have been using the nosler brass for my reloads. My first reloads were with the 140 eld and nosler brass had decent groups but wanted to switch to the 143 ELDX this year. Started working up my loads with the nosler brass found my tightest group. In the mean time my Hornady brass arrived. I loaded the same load with all the same components except for the Hornady brass and the group tightened up to right at 1/2 inch at 200yds. But will not pull the brass out once fired. Round goes in easily prior to being fired, they cycle just fine. Hadto use cleaning rod through muzzle to gently tap out. Same exact load in my nosler brass does not stick once fired, but groups are not as tight. Any thoughts from the experts?

Sounds like a case volume issue to me as well. Hornady brass is also probably not quite as thick as nosler and might expand more. Try backing off a grain or so and see if the groups change.

I know nothing about reloading, but check this. My buddy ran into this when ordering ammo for his 6.5x284 Norma. The new HSM ammo looked different...shorter overall length. He did research and found there is also a 6.5x284 Winchester. The bullet length is shorter and seated deeper. Also there is a slight difference in the cartridge shoulder dimensions. There was no identification on the box...no Norma, no Win. The correct stuff has Norma on the box.

Could be the problem. Midway USA advertises their Normandy 6.5-284 as Wichester(norma) as I have it shown here. The box lists it as 6.5-284 the cases seem to measure exact. It appears though that the Normandy neck is thicker.

Weigh an empty case of each.

When changing any component, you usually need to start over on load development. At least back off a few and slowly work up.

Nosler are usually on the lighter side when you weigh a case, meaning less brass content, meaning more case volume.

Lapua is heavier, Hornady is usually heavier, Federal is way heavier. Meaning more brass content, meaning less case capacity. Same charge weight will mean more pressure and higher velocities. Did you chrono the old and new loads? I am betting they were faster.

I am surprised that the Hornady brass produced better results than Nosler. Nosler is usually much more uniform and consistent than Hornady. I actually do not like Hornady brass at all. Unless you have done full load development with the Nosler brass, I bet the Hornady loads were just in a better velocity node, but they were probably too hot. Any other signs of pressure besides stuck cases? Sticky bolt lift, ejector marks, case head swipes, flattened or cratered primers?

What is your recipe?

• Like 1

Had a similar problem with 338 lapua in a savage every sellior and ballot case stuck and the lapua brand did not may be just a brass thing. Different brass has different characteristics

I guess I was under the impression that the Hornady brass was the way to go because of how well our creedmoors shoot factory ammo. I have zero signs of pressure(with exception to not being able to get the case out) Lance you are right I had 2864fps with 56 grains of Retumbo 215 match primer 143ELDX Nosler brass, 2962fps with same load in Hornady brass. The Hornady brass is heavier.

Brass, in reference to the metal used to produce the case, is a generic term for a family of alloys. An alloy is made of several different ingredients and the ratio may also vary. It is likely that the alloy used by Nosler and Hornady is not exactly the same. The two metals may have different properties. As an example one could be harder than the other. If case volume is similar pressure should be similar but there is a possibility that one may stretch more than the other when subjected to the same pressure.

I guess I was under the impression that the Hornady brass was the way to go because of how well our creedmoors shoot factory ammo. I have zero signs of pressure(with exception to not being able to get the case out) Lance you are right I had 2864fps with 56 grains of Retumbo 215 match primer 143ELDX Nosler brass, 2962fps with same load in Hornady brass. The Hornady brass is heavier.

100fps is huge with all other aspects being the same.

Loaded some lighter loads velocity down around 2750 fps brass still stuck. Going to keep using the nosler brass. Thanks for the input.

Have you checked the rim thickness and diameter on the Hornady brass vs the Nosler? I am with Lance on this, Hornady brass is just awful. I hate it almost as much as I hate Vortex Optics and that's a lot of hate. Could be something as simple as the Savage extractor just slipping off the case. They are known for having pretty weak extraction and you can fix it with a new oversized detent ball to give it a tighter grip. If Nosler brass is working fine then I would go ahead and use that. Nosler is much better brass and once you get your load tuned up in it you will be much better off.

• Like 2

Clinton, you crack me up! LOL

Are you hunting this fall?

Seriously great answers by all the dudes above, I learned a few things!

Jeff