Sign in to follow this  
papajohn

4B north population hunt

Got a call from G&F today. Was selected for a "any elk" population management hunt in 4B north Dec. 15-21st. A group of 16 hunters are before me on Dec. 8-14th and my group is 16 also. Really excited as I haven't been drawn in 5 years! I always wondered if anyone ever got picked for these hunts ( I put my name in every year) and now I know.

Anyone here ever get picked for one of these hunts?

If so how was it?

G&F sends a map and private landowner phone numbers to get permission to hunt there. I was told the ranchers want the elk gone is the reason for the special hunts so am sure they will be very helpful.

Hoping to finally get some meat in the freezer!

I was contacted for the same hunt today. Have until tomorrow to commit. Killed elk in 4b south before but never ventured into this area. Anyone have any info? I have been able to take elk on population hunts before in unit 3b south and unit 1, but this is a unkown area with limited time

Evan - I was told by G&F there are about 150 elk in this area they want gone. Don't know how concentrated they are but the info emailed to me says to hunt mainly in the SW of the area. The ranchers will have more info I'm sure but will call after I get the hard copy of the map to reference.

Do not expect an easy tag filling hunt- most these hunts have elk that are really pressured, especially if there were 16 hunters a weeks before yours.

they are usually a very limited boundary type hunt- never the whole unit!

the time I drew a pool tag - didn't even see an elk

Do not expect an easy tag filling hunt- most these hunts have elk that are really pressured, especially if there were 16 hunters a weeks before yours.

Im 2 for 2 on pool elk tags....units i new well though. not to sure about 4b north, I turned mine down, hopefully next in line has an opportunity. good luck papajohn let us know how it turns out.

Yotebuster - no you don't lose points. Plus as they say... any day elk hunting is better than...........

My wife got the call late yesterday and confirmed her hunt today. We thought our year was done besides predators but next weekend we'll be back at it again!

• Like 1

Yep, much agreed. I live in this area and people hunt the depredation hunt all year long chasing some of these same herds. Tough hunt for sure

So has anyone had any luck on the first hunt? My wife has the second hunt starting Friday. The g&f lady told her they are desperate to find people to kill these elk and that of the 16 hunters they were hoping for on each hunt, they were looking like only 12 were confirmed for each.

it's far from free meat! it's normally way harder than normal hunts. good luck to all hunters! Water is gonna make the difference, tanks are few and far apart and I have doubts any holding water.

if you can hunt the edges of chevlon canyon that's WHERE I'D BE !

• Like 1