Sign in to follow this  
tomgobbler

Gould’s for sale - but which is it ?

The G&F Lady in 35a saidMost Goulds are 17 to 25 LB'S. Most Merriams are 13-14-15LB'S And most Goulds don't have or not very big, they get worn down in the rocky terrain. I know when I was hunting them they looked alot bigger inthe field than Merriams..........BOB!

If you shoot a 2 year old Merriam's tom he will weigh right about 19 lbs. 3 years and older they will be 20 plus with my largest being 24 lbs. If you are looking for the heaviest birds a Eastern bird from the midwest will out weigh goulds and merriams every time. They don't travel everyday like our birds out west. They are basically field birds that fly down in the morning and eat corn all day, they don't need to walk for miles in search of food and are fat lazy birds. When they say Goulds are the largest they are talking about height and skeletal structure and not weight.

• Like 1

Do they both have spurs? Goulds dont always have spurs or at least i was told theu didnt and had to watch bc they needs spurs if you want to put them in the book

Do they both have spurs? Goulds dont always have spurs or at least i was told theu didnt and had to watch bc they needs spurs if you want to put them in the book

All three AZ Goulds Ive killed have had descent spurs.

Brian

All three AZ Goulds Ive killed have had descent spurs.

Brian

Idk the game and fish biologist that 2as down there im 35a doing turkey count told us that.

I havent kept exact track but its been about 50-50 for the ones that have & hsvnt had spurs - this pic is my sons archery Goulds 4 year old bird ( according to tbe records of when it was caught as a Jake & released & when we got it ) & it has just barely little nubs , these are not worn down - they are just not there ( genetically ) . The Goulds from the pic in the first post has thick ( wide at the base ) spurs but only a little over 1/2 long .

post-2728-0-21723700-1513948911_thumb.jpeg

I was told the lack of spurs on AZ goulds was a genetic issue going back to the birds they imported from MX

The One I took just had "nubs" maybe 1/2", same as the two Merrimans I have taken here in AZ. The other hunter I was with also took a Goulds and it also had smallish ones about the same size. Both birds were probably 20 pounds+ but I didn't weigh mine, maybe he did.