Sign in to follow this  
452b264

Hornady 6.5 PRC

Hornady just came out with a new cartridge the 6.5 PRC. Just when I thought I didn't need another rifle.

Since they are buying all the H4350 Hodgdon can make, they must need something else besides the 6.5 CM to use all that powder.

forepaw

• Like 1

This will be a great round for the precision rifle guys, but I doubt it will be a huge hit with hunters like the creedmoor was.

This seems like an extremely niche cartridge. It will only be 30-50 FPS faster than a 6.5x284 (or 6.5-06). There are years of load development for the 6.5-284 out there and Lapua brass.

Maybe the 6.5PRC will be a better short action cartridge though?

It stated at or close to 3000 for 147 gr. and right at 3100 for the 140 gr. The 6.5 x 284 isnt that fast, it shoots 140 around 2900 to 2950. A friend of mine has one it will go a little faster but not accurately, most rifles chambered for the 284 have a sweet spot around 55 to 57.5 grains with velocities from 2920 to 2965 in 24-26 inch barreled guns and 140 VLD.

https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/65-284-norma/

Here is the load data for the 6.5 PRC AND 6.5 X 284 its 100 to 150 fps faster, the PRC is only 3/4 grains less capacity then 6.5 saum. They may be loading it mild for the PRC guys. And like you stated it will fit into a short action with lots of magazine room for the long bullets, which is why the creed moor is so popular, short case and long neck.

https://press.hornady.com/assets/site/hornady/files/load-data/6.5-prc-v2.pdf

https://press.hornady.com/assets/site/hornady/files/load-data/6.5mm-284-147gr-eld-match.pdf

I wasn't comparing factory ammo its never right. The only factory loads I have seen chronograph that are as stated is Weatherbys, Barnes ammo all the rest Ive tested were 100 to 250 fps slower then what the factory states. Thats why I load all my own ammo.

The load data seems awfully optimistic. Lets say it 3 grains less than the 65 SAUM. I think hat would give it about 62 grains of capacity when loaded with a 143 gr bullet. The 6.5x284 is around 58 and the 264 win mag around 79. With the numbers they are throwing out the 6.5 PRC will nearly equal 264 WM velocities with 17 grains less capacity? That doesn't feel right to me.

There is a general rule of thumb that you get velocity increases that is about 1/4 of the case volume increase. At an 8% volume increase for the 6.5 PRC that would mean about a 2% velocity increase over the 6.5x284...or around 3050fps (at equal psi that is). Lets give it 100fps and that will give us about an additional 75 yards of real world improvement. That's pushing 1200 yards while still having 1000 ftlbs of energy.

I know differences like brand of case, COAL, chamber dimensions, barrel dimensions, etc. will affect an individual rifles velocity. But it all averages out in the end. I'm just feeling that there is some marketing hype going on here. I'm sure the cartridge will be hot-rodded and some will actually get those velocities and then some, but any cartridge can be hot-rodded.

I suspect that the accuracy node is more based on the velocity of the bullet not the cartridge?

The bottom line is we have a new short action 6.5 cartridge that will exceed 6.5x284 velocities. If I were doing a custom build and wanted a short action I would throw it in the mix with the 6.5 SAUM and 6.5 WSM.

Having said all that I am a gun nut and am really excited when the industry introduces new things. It is a form of evolution where we all benefit. For example I now have tons of 28 Nosler load data with the newest powders that I can leverage for my 7mm STW.

I like the case design, short case, long neck, 30 degree shoulder, fits in a short action. Time will tell, I will wait and see if it gets any support from the manufactures, unlike 6.5 saum.

Already factory chambered rifles out there for it. I would guess there will be more to follow between hunters and PRS gurus.

This round was developed after the boys at GAP got 6.54S nailed down from Hornady. Its not as fast as the 4S but should appeal to the guy who wants to best the 6.5x284 speeds and do it while burning a slower powder to conserve the barrel, and do it with off the shelf ammo.

Lots to read out there on the development of these.

Already factory chambered rifles out there for it. I would guess there will be more to follow between hunters and PRS gurus.

This round was developed after the boys at GAP got 6.54S nailed down from Hornady. Its not as fast as the 4S but should appeal to the guy who wants to best the 6.5x284 speeds and do it while burning a slower powder to conserve the barrel, and do it with off the shelf ammo.

Lots to read out there on the development of these.

This. You can get faster 6.5 rounds for sure, but factory loadings and all of the 6.5CM fans will foam at the mouth over this as a hunting round.

That being said, there are older, faster and more efficient 6.5 rounds that still fit in an SA. 6.5 GAP 4S, 6.5 SS, 6.5 SST, 6.5 WSM, 6.71 Phantom (Lazzeroni), and a few other wildcats.

The PRC should be a good choice for a Coues/Antelope chambering.

I was hoping some more rifle manufacturers would start chambering it, but looks like the only one announced at SHOT was Sauer.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/02/robert-farago/new-sauer-s100-ceratech-pantera-fieldshoot-cherokee-atacama/

Gun makers currently chambering the 6.5 PRC include GA Precision, Gunwerks, PROOF Research, Stuteville Precision and Seekins Precision.

• Like 1

A production rifle in 6.5 that shoots right at 3000 fps with reasonable priced factory ammo. Seems like a winner.

The Seekins 6.5 PRC hunting rifle has a lot offer for the $$.

Bet they give Cooper and the other 2K brands some competition.

The April Shooting Times has an article on the 6.5 PRC. In 3 guns factory 143g ELDXs averaged 3013fps.

Full case capacity is listed as 68.8 gr of water to the case mouth or about the same as the 6.5 Remington Magnun. About a 6% increase over the 6.5-284. The 6.5 RM was just way ahead of its times, but it did have that belt thing going wrong for it that was in vogue at the time.

The article says handloading data for the 6.5-06 can be used as a starting point. Loading data for a he 6.5 RM will work too. Im looking forward to getting modern powder load data for a NULA 6.5-06 I have coming in a couple of months.

I like the case design, short case, long neck, 30 degree shoulder, fits in a short action. Time will tell, I will wait and see if it gets any support from the manufactures, unlike 6.5 saum.

Very well said! It will do everything the bigger cases will do with less powder, longer barrel life, less recoil, and better brass life. The short action thing is in your head if that what you like. Difference between a short action and long action is one inch! If that's too heavy or you can't manage the longer bolt throw than it's a plus. It's shiny new nickle!