Sign in to follow this  
CatfishKev

Buying a used suburban or yukon, what to look for?

Got pre approved for a new family vehicle. Looking for suburban or yukon in the 2007-2011 range. 3 questions.

1. Is it a bad time to buy a vehicle at tax time?

2. What are the things I should be looking for as warning signs on these particular vehicles? I saw a video saying to listen for ticking on the top end, rusty manifold and sludge in the coolant reservoir.

3. Any mechanics you all recomend in Tucson or the valley that would take a vehicle on short notice for an inspection?

Thanks

The last two Chevy's I've bought had that top end tick and 200,000 miles later they still had it.

• Like 1

The list is long! Haha just kidding. They are pretty good. Some common things are motor mounts, cam bearings (ticking noise), fuel pumps and connector, rear fuel tank over filling the main tank, evap problems/leaks, and occasionally a tranny will fail. The trucks I have seen are abused and beat on so a daily driver/family ride would only have to worry about the fuel pump IMO. They are pretty good vehicles.

Isn't the top end tick usually a sticky lifter?

That's what I was told

Watch for the 5.3l motors with oIL consumption issues.

I looked at them for a long time, but ended up getting a 2015 Nissan Armada for a lot less than a used Burb or Yukon. The only complaint so far is crap mileage for stop and go driving.

Lucfu1 good list I had an Avalanche and a 1/4ton between then all you mentioned but the tranny. The ticking seems to only be annoying because they both ran very well into the 150k+ range with no issuee. The avy had the gas leak, never seen it mentioned before. The things that drove me nuts were windoe motors, crappy door panels, guages, tie rods (off road). Newer versions are mich better after 2008.

Look for one that looks well taken care of, it probably was. And yes right now is the worst time. But you're never really gonna find a smoking deal on a 4x4 suburban since they're always desirable

Stay away from small dealerships (corner car lots) unless you know the guys. Theyll take a dealer maintained vehicle and replace all the factory parts with autozone crap. Also stay away from big well known dealerships. They hire the corner lot guys to work in their used car departments. You get the same crap, gallons of armor all on every surface and cheap aftermarket parts! Buy from an individual or buy a certified pre owned. Pm me if you need one looked at for pre purchase inspection. Or pm texashunter. hes honest.

Lucfu1 good list I had an Avalanche and a 1/4ton between then all you mentioned but the tranny. The ticking seems to only be annoying because they both ran very well into the 150k+ range with no issuee. The avy had the gas leak, never seen it mentioned before. The things that drove me nuts were windoe motors, crappy door panels, guages, tie rods (off road). Newer versions are mich better after 2008.

oh yeah i didnt mention interior problems because thats just a given lol. dont worry, GM still hasnt fixed the fuel pump problems (15, 16, and 17s). Once they hit 45K the fuel pump goes out. The new direct injection engines have their own little problems as well.

But like mentioned, if it looks like it was taken cared of you should be good. be careful buying used, i find a lot of people wont tell you the history and just want to flip them. if its a great deal i would be worried.

oh yeah i didnt mention interior problems because thats just a given lol. dont worry, GM still hasnt fixed the fuel pump problems (15, 16, and 17s). Once they hit 45K the fuel pump goes out. The new direct injection engines have their own little problems as well.

But like mentioned, if it looks like it was taken cared of you should be good. be careful buying used, i find a lot of people wont tell you the history and just want to flip them. if its a great deal i would be worried.

carbon coking is crazy with direct injection! Those motors need to be driven high and hot on occasion and premium fuel. City drivers dont understand why they get misfire faults and broken pistons at 50k.
  • Like 1

Try to get one without the active lifters they are failing like crazy. The ticking noise on the Chevy motors can be caused by several different things some expensive and some not so expensive to fix. I have 2 shops in tucson and do free pre purchase inspections for anyone buying a car. We are usually really busy but can make time for you to drop in whenever. I work at our location at 6722 e Tanque Verde road the number there is 5203054908 you can call and ask for rick of you have any questions or want to tell me you are bringing one by.

• Like 1

Stay away from small dealerships (corner car lots) unless you know the guys. Theyll take a dealer maintained vehicle and replace all the factory parts with autozone crap. Also stay away from big well known dealerships. They hire the corner lot guys to work in their used car departments. You get the same crap, gallons of armor all on every surface and cheap aftermarket parts! Buy from an individual or buy a certified pre owned. Pm me if you need one looked at for pre purchase inspection. Or pm texashunter. hes honest.

Lmao