Sign in to follow this  
knothead

AR-15 build?

Aero precision sells parts, kits, and complete rifles with or without furniture in a variety of finishes. You can find good prices on blems from them too. Some of mine are Aero blems and I haven't had any issues with them. The blemished parts are not blemished enough for most people to notice and guaranteed to function equally.

If you don't know what to look for, you are better off buying complete. If you don't know how or want to assemble and tune it, your best bet is to buy complete as well from a local authorized distributor of a reputable brand who can and will help you do so.

It's awesome that your boy is graduating! That's a big deal for him and your family.

Your gift idea is not just thoughtful, but it will give you something fun to work on as you wait for the big day. I'm not an "AR guy" by any means but the beauty of the AR platform is that it's so modular and flexible. It's like the Honda Civic of rifles, i.e. lot's of aftermarket parts and extremely customizable.

If the application in coyote hunting, don't shy away from a longer (say, 20 inch) heavy barrel. (There's also a "bull barrel" but that's even heavier than a "heavy barrel" and, from my limited experience, is impractical for hunting.) Shorter, lighter barrels may be great for clearing a building or 2 or 3 gun matches, but longer, heavier barrels have no problem reaching out an delivering to that dog that hangs up at 300+ yds.

Oh, and you didn't mention optics. That's a whole 'nother discussion.

Keep us up to date on on your quest. It's an interesting one.

Again, congrats to your boy and your family.

If you build your own, don't buy cheap parts on eBay or Amazon. Stick with reputable websites or local shops. Lots of fake stuff out there. I worked at a shop and some of the stuff people bought to save money was garbage. Gas blocks that were made of crappy metal, airsoft sights, ect. Buy once, cry once. The other factor I can't stress enough, if you buy a factory gun, if it doesn't work right, you send it to them. It's their problem. That is why I like the colt le6920 builder gun so much. You get their product and their service but can put your own flair on it.

• Like 1

Buying a top tier AR from BCM, Daniel Defense, LMT, LWRC, Larue, Colt and the like are great battle rifles. For building a coyote rifle, you can do a better build for hunting than battle. I have built many lowers on Aero Precision lowers, uppers, handguards etc... I like Aero for their lower parts kit.

Like cactusjack says, dont buy cheap stuff. It will bite you more times than not. You can trust the top tier companies for parts and stuff, but you will pay a higher price. Aero makes good stuff and they make a bunch of lowers and parts for other companies too. You can watch youtube and there are many how to videos and you can easily build one from ground up.

Hunting barrel I would do a wylde chamber in a 18 inch in 1:8 twist. AR15 Performance makes some good quality and good cost barrels. Bison Armory makes great barrels but at higher price.

stripped lower - 75

or buy complete lower with ready to go for about - 230

complete upper - 70

Lower parts kit - 70-100 not including buffer tube, stock

Or lower parts builder kit for about 120 includes all the above

handguard - 200

barrel - 250

gas tube and block - 50

total - about 800 and you can do that just with buying Aero Precision

• Like 1

My nephew built both of his. I got him a Vltor receiver and when it would get hot he had loads of trouble. After messing with it for a couple of years he took it to a local shop and it turned out that the gas port, maybe not the right term, was supposed to be .060 and was .040. Opened it up and now runs like a champ.

Aero makes "enhanced" uppers and lowers which makes building your own MUCH easier. Aero is quality stuff.

.223/5.56 are relatively easy for the first time builds.

The AR10 platform can be tricky head space etc.

Been away for a while but I wanted to thank everyone for all the comments and information. I am getting a real education. Initially I wanted to keep this a secret from him but the more I learning the more I think he should be involved as it is going to be his gun. Still not 100% sure If I'm going to go the build route but I have some time to learn more. Thanks

I am interested to see how this project turned out.

I know its been 2 years knothead but any results?

Jeff