Sign in to follow this  
knothead

AR-15 build?

My son will be graduating from UofA in the next 9 months and I was thinking of getting him an AR for a graduation gift. I was considering a build but not sure what I am getting into. I'm thinking my budget will be around $800. Is it reasonable to even consider this? The gun will be used more for varmint calling so I want the .223. As a person who is primarily an archer, I need some guidance and help as I have no idea what is involved.

Anyone that has experience building guns want to chime in?

I would look at a Colt LE6920, a bit higher than your budget but they retain their valve and will pretty much shoot any ammo reliably including inexpensive Wolf and aren't finicky about magazines.

I too was considering an AR build. I don't know what the best names in some the parts are, there are so many parts out there, it's hard to know what is quality, and what is junk. I understand that alot of the tools are expensive, unless you decide to build several guns, or to repairs.

You could do a hand full of kits for less then that. Palmetto state has cheap builds and you could upgrade some of the parts.

Please look at Layke Tactical they are local and build the best AR you can buy for the money......And they are a big supporter of all the local wildlife organizations and great people......

Just look at anyone trying to sell a custom built AR. They dont hold their value because like was said earlier there are so many different cos that make them these days its hard to differentiate between them.

Please look at Layke Tactical they are local and build the best AR you can buy for the money......And they are a big supporter of all the local wildlife organizations and great people......

How do they compare to Daniel Defense?

Custom (home made) builds do not hold value. But you build them for your use. Ive built well over 200 and have kept a few. They all have different values/purpose. Im no longer building to sell but your home build can be cheap and very effective!

• Like 3

I have built 7. Never had an issue with any of them. So far the 6.5 grendel is my favorite.

Look at a colt le6920 minus the furniture. It's not a Frankenstein gun, like a custom build is. Best of both worlds

Or a 6720 if you can find one.