Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Who's the oldest hunter you know?

One of Terry's (25-06) good friends and a person I have hunted with a few times is Leroy. heck he's gotta be like 130 years old :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: he is still up and at it and a very smart man with lots of outdoors smarts. A man to respect that is for sure.
Here is a pic of Leroy. He is my best huntin buddy.

post-230-1199483934_thumb.jpg

"Who's the oldest hunter you know?"

heck, all my friends are over 65 and all are still hunting. Here are some of the better hunters among them, in alphabetical order.

Don DeLuca

Whitey DeVries

Boris Baird

Bill Berlat

Bud Bristow

Alex Jacome

Bill Mattausch

Dick Remaly

Fritz Selby

Mattausch arguably is the toughest of the bunch, but that's only because he's the youngest at age 65.

Bristow's no slouch, either. Within a two-year period Bristow had a brain tumor removed and a quadruple heart bypass. In 2007, he hunted Arizona elk, deer, javelina, and Wyoming antelope and tagged three of the four -- with no help from anyone. He spends more days swatting quail and doves than anyone I know.

The oldest in this group is Whitey DeVries. At age 90, he still goes out alone in his boat and fishes every day, weather permitting.

Don't bet your farm that someone you know is a better turkey caller than Whitey or a better hunter of any type of game than Mattausch or Bristow.

We have nearly five centuries of hunting experience combined, and if the truth were known we may have collectively taken more than 500 deer, 50-60 pronghorn antelope, 200 javelinas, and dozens of elk over the years.

Eight of us have hunted at least once in Africa (most of us a lot more than that), and together we have collected just about everything that walks there except elephant and rhino.

None of us is ready to quit hunting yet, not even Whitey. I intend to help get him an elk near my cabin this fall if he draws a tag.

Bill Quimby

Incidentally, Clay, the oldest javelinas don't have the longest tusks. Like us old farts, the oldest peccaries have worn their tusks down to mere bumps on their jaws.

:P

Wow, that is quite an impressive bunch of hunters there Bill! Got any pics of them out doing their thing?

90 yrs old and goes out fishing alone everyday! That's awesome! It gives me hope!

Amanda

I am sure there will be older hunters then Jim

but I would like to take a little space here to say

Solong to a man that went on my Sheep hunt.

He was a true sportsman, hunter, camp cook,

and awsome behind a spotting scope.

I think he is the only man in Az history

to draw 3 Desert Sheep tags.

Jim Barrett

Passed this past year at 73

and is missed by all who met him.

Thanks again Jim,

Mike

Front row, far right

post-1778-1199488322_thumb.jpg

God, What an ugly crew I had :mellow:

I am sure there will be older hunters then Jim

but I would like to take a little space here to say

Solong to a man that went on my Sheep hunt.

He was a true sportsman, hunter, camp cook,

and awsome behind a spotting scope.

I think he is the only man in Az history

to draw 3 Desert Sheep tags.

Jim Barrett

Passed this past year at 73

and is missed by all who met him.

Thanks again Jim,

Mike

Front row, far right

post-1778-1199488322_thumb.jpg

God, What an ugly crew I had :mellow:

When I was about 12 or 13 way back in the 60s I rode my bike to fish above khols ranch on the Tonto.So Im having a ball till Jim comes fishing down the orther side.He asks if I have my liense.I say I forgot it at home.He says well your havein so much fun how about doin it again tomorrow same time and you can show me your liense.Met him same time the next day with my brand new liense.Got to know him as I grew up,never forgot that first time.Come rodeo time he he had everyone helping,great guy.

"Wow, that is quite an impressive bunch of hunters there Bill! Got any pics of them out doing their thing?

90 yrs old and goes out fishing alone everyday! That's awesome! It gives me hope!"

Yes, Amanda. There is life after 65. Modern medicine is a wonderful thing. Just keep your health insurance premiums paid up.

I went out with Whitey the other day. He caught the first and only fish before the wind came up and we had to go in.

Most of my photos were lost in a fire we had at our home in Tucson two years ago. The fire didn't get them. It was the 600 gallons of water the firefighters pumped into the bedroom that ruined the albums they were in.

Bill

I don't know any hunters over 65. :rolleyes:

post-82-1199486976.gif

-TONY

Tony:

How did you get my picture? I'm glad my BB gun doesn't show in it. I don't know if pigeons are considered migratory birds, but if they are I could get in trouble for shooting over bait.

Bill

Here is my best hunting friend ever.

Len is over 70 but I do not know for sure.

We have hunted together for the last 15? years.

He is a great hunter and has done so well with the things that ail us older folks.

Len had a heart attact coming out off a setup and his boys found him in time for him to enjoy many more years of hunting.

What a TROOPER.

Maybe we can get his son (TJHUNT2) to add to this.

Thank You Leonard ;)

Mike

post-1778-1199409749_thumb.jpg

GREAT Idea Amanda ;)

That was nice of you to put Dad's picture on here and he said to thank you Mike. He is 78 and had to burn his 07 elk tag and his 08 pig tag because he no longer could get his bow drawn back. He refuses to drop the poundage in fear of wounding an animal. He is going to have to switch over this year to rifle hunting. He also is my best friend and the best hunter I have had the priviledge of learning under. Love ya Dad and many more years of hunting to come. :)

TJ

here are some more pics Lark asked me to post.

here is what he had to say about them:

First is my aunt, Georgetta Hughes, 70 year old, with one of her many bull elk. she shot this one at almost 500 yards with her ol’ ’06.

post-1-1200165955_thumb.jpg

This one is my ol’ man, Rex Hubbard, 79+, and me, with a nice 6x6 bull he shot a couple years ago with his .270 that he bought the year I was born.

post-1-1200166104_thumb.jpg

I always look forward to hunting with these folks. My dad’s whole year revolves around deer season. As soon as the season is over, he starts planning on the next one. Georgetta is one heck of a hunter and cowgirl. She got a buck this year and had her arm in a cast. He and her husband, Gwen, spend their summers punchin’ cows in the beaverhead area in u27, just for kicks. Lark.

Next photo is Don Steers and his son Randy, with a nice bull Don shot in u1. Don is nearly 70.

post-1-1200166174_thumb.jpg

My Dad is going to be 68 soon, he's still my best hunting partner and I hope we share many more seasons together...

IMG_2667_edited.jpg

This is my Dad (67) and I on our last hunt together in 2005 down in unit 30B, he passed away in the spring of 2006. We hunted together just about every year for 33 years.

Best thread I have read on this site to date. Thats some tough old coots right there.(Respectfully Speaking)

Kinda brings back some memories of my Grandfather who has long sence passed. Whew....choke, choke, na it's nothing I got something in my eye.

Think of the knowledge we all could learn from that group of hunters.

they have all these youth hunts, why don't they have a geezer hunt? i'm gettin' close to geezer myself, so i'm all for it. somebody call the azgfd. Lark.