Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Tree expert?

My willows havent come out fully yet either, Im lower in the state and at 4500/5000 feet so lower than you. They have good water. Give them a few weeks and see. Peaches and apples are doing great though!

From the photos, it is hard to tell if your willow has died back or just hasn't leafed out yet. You can check the the branches that haven't leafed out by scratching the bark. If there is green under the bark, you are good. If it isn't green, it is dead and needs to be cut out. Willows like lots of water and respond well to nitrogen. The last few years I have been using calcium nitrate on my trees as it does not drop the pH of the soil. That has been a problem in the past for me when I used urea. You need to give each tree about 0.1 lbs of actual nitrogen per inch diameter of the tree base. I also use 20-20-20 sometimes on a planting of trees if I don't think they are growing well the first year.

Hopefully your trees are just slow coming out. I am running about 2 weeks behind normal for bloom on my apples, peaches and pears in SE AZ.

A little fert. wont hurt. The most well know tree person in AZ. once told me 35 years ago Just put a pinch of fert. once a month year round and You will get the best fruit ever. A free tip .A free tip from a licsensed Landscaper and architect since 1978. Not bragging just giving Free advice........BOB!

• Like 1

We had such a lack of winter in Phoenix I have trees that never lost all their leaves and then flowered while they still had their last year's leaves on them LOL I have an ash tree that's woken up quite well and pretty much green. A mesquite tree in the front yard that has so much pollen coming off of it like I can't remember a year where has this much pollen coming off of it. Lemon tree bloomed as usual but it also did not get any freeze this last year at all so it everything happened a little bit earlier. Heck I still have lemons on it and Blossoms everywhere.

I have definitely noticed a difference with my Citrus with fertilizing quarterly at least.

I haven't paid any attention to see what the Willows are doing down here hope it all works out for you I know it sucks to lose them.

• Like 1

We had such a lack of winter in Phoenix I have trees that never lost all their leaves and then flowered while they still had their last year's leaves on them LOL I have an ash tree that's woken up quite well and pretty much green. A mesquite tree in the front yard that has so much pollen coming off of it like I can't remember a year where has this much pollen coming off of it. Lemon tree bloomed as usual but it also did not get any freeze this last year at all so it everything happened a little bit earlier. Heck I still have lemons on it and Blossoms everywhere.

I have definitely noticed a difference with my Citrus with fertilizing quarterly at least.

I haven't paid any attention to see what the Willows are doing down here hope it all works out for you I know it sucks to lose them.

Blame it on the lack of rain. The temps were there but with no moisture the typical spring growth was delayed almost a month.

• Like 2

I bought it last year just before it lost its leaves it's still in the 5 gallon pot it came in.

it always helps if you plant it.
  • Like 1

I bought it last year just before it lost its leaves it's still in the 5 gallon pot it came in.

it always helps if you plant it.

It should grow in a pot just fine I'd think. I have a mango tree in a pot it's still alive.

Bob what fertilizer do you recommend for citrus trees?

Cant go wrong with a 15-15-15 but just a pinch according to BOB.
  • Like 1

This stuff makes such a huge difference with citrus trees. 👍👍👍 now if you can tell me why I planted a lemon tree instead of grapefruit and oranges like I like... Every year I find myself trying to barter lemons for grapefruit

This stuff makes such a huge difference with citrus trees. 👍👍👍 now if you can tell me why I planted a lemon tree instead of grapefruit and oranges like I like... Every year I find myself trying to barter lemons for grapefruit
Cant help you there.
  • Like 1