Sign in to follow this  
Yoshi

Late Hunt

Was up on the Mogollon this weekend. Opening day there was still snow on the ground from a couple days earlier. We saw a lot more tracks than usual but heard nothing. By end of the day, all the snow had melted, and there were large puddles everywhere. Creeks had more water than usual. Next morning while watering a tree, I heard a tom going at it maybe a quarter mile away. We took off after it and set up to try and bring it in. We heard some hens yelping as well, but at least one of them turned out to be another hunter who was positioned better than us. After a few minutes we heard the tom heading up to our left, then boom. The forest went quiet again. We never saw the other hunter, so we do not know whether he was successful or not. Sunday, we got into two different gobblers, but just couldn't get either of them to come within range.

• Like 2

nothing for us in 23. We worked a single tom, a couple of days. then finally had some good back and forth with one bird Monday morning. The tom answered, and was really going after our calls, well except for the "going" part. HE never came out or over to where we were at. The brush was too thick and dry to try to get closer to him.

It was also very "switchy"... after a certain time each morning, everything would just stop. In the deeper valleys, it was just after 7. on the open hills it was about 530....

pray for rain for next year. Most of the tanks we seen were dry.

• Like 1

I was going to go hunt this weekend coming up but they're forecasting a lot of wind. Hopefully the weekend after has less wind.

• Like 1

Because of my son School and work will only be able to do a 1 day trip ...get up at 2:00 AM....Bring the Crystal, Aluminum pot ////and hope for the best

• Like 1

I was going to go hunt this weekend coming up but they're forecasting a lot of wind. Hopefully the weekend after has less wind.

Birds will still be there. I would't stay home just because of the wind unless you can only do one trip.

• Like 1

Seems like the story of this season is the wind.

Seems like the story of this season is the wind.

Same as me ...lol....yesterday was bad ....wind was crazy

so until next season....tag sandwich for me....Can't go out next weekend <_<

My buddy and I have been planning to hunt 23 this weekend but Im not hearing any good reports. Is anyone shooting birds in there this year?

Find water in the higher elevations and hunt within 1/2 mile of it. With the cooler temps birds will be active.

• Like 1