TREESTANDMAN

The really big one got away!

Mike,

That's a fantastic buck!! Congratulations!! You work harder at hunting coues than anyone else that I know. You did the right thing by taking that buck, he is buck of a life time. That other buck didn't get that big for being stupid. You may never see him again. Hopefully you will. I'm sure you'll be looking for him all year.

You have had quite a year. You came back hard from bad injuries and took two awesome bucks. My prayers are with you that your back fully recovers.

Your friend,

Mark

Thanks Mark. I really appreciate all your help and support you gave me while in the hospital and after. By the way, any reports on that big buck you were trying to tag?

Mike

Thanks Mark. I really appreciate all your help and support you gave me while in the hospital and after. By the way, any reports on that big buck you were trying to tag?

Mike

I had him in my site on the 31st, but shot my knee instead. :blink: I'm going up this weekend to look for him. Do you think that if I explained the situation to G&F, (that I coulda killed him last year, but I shot my knee instead cause I'm not too bright) that they would let me use my 07 tag? :rolleyes:

Mark

Awesome coues! Many days in a chilly treestand- Now that's dedication and perserverance!

Great Job- Did you ever find the sheds from the TOAD buck?

AzP&Y

GREAT BUCK CONGRATS. NOW WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO UNTILL NEXT YEAR? GRAB THAT VIDEO AND STILL CAMERA AND START TAKING PICS. :D

I hunted pretty hard this Janary. Took off a week and 1/2 to try to stick a really big one this year. I have a buck on my trail camera that I think will go over 110" net and gross. Two years ago I was guessing him as high 90's low 100's but this year he is just HUGE!!! He came in one time while I was in my stand tending a doe. She came in first and he hung out in the thick stuff. Finally he presented a head on shot, as I pulled back he recognized the sound of my arrow touching my rest and he took off. My heart was really pounding after seeing that huge of a buck in real life. I hunted that same stand 3 more days passing on a few smaller 75" and less bucks. I rattled and grunted in a few just to play around with him.

Yesterday I was hunting that spot as my final day for January. It was the day after a snow so I thought it would be extra good. It wasn't as I didn't see anything until 12:00 pm. It was a little forky buck that came by and scraped. I spooked him by accident and as he was running away with his tail up, I grunted to him hoping he would come back just for entertainment. Not a minute later I detected movement as a decent buck walked up the canyon towards me. From far away he looked pretty good and I was feeling depressed having not seen the big boy for the last few days. I thought to myself, " I'll just take the big buck next January, by that time my back will be healed and I wont feel as much pain sitting in the stand. This buck was coming in fast and it appeared he was looking for the source of the grunt. He stopped at a nearby scrape and did his thing very agressively. He even raked the pine sappling. Afterward he continued on towards me and stopped right at my mock scrape with a dripper. As he sniffed the ground I drew back and took only a 15 yd shot. The shot was perfect for the steep angle ripping one lung apart and coming out of his liver. He only ran 20 yds and piled up. He is the biggest hard horned buck I've killed and I'm very happy with him. I will not settle for anything but that whopper next year though!!! Here are a few pics. I'll post his score in a few days, if any of you want to try out your knowlege at guessing? I'll be using Greg Mcbride "Trails end Taxidermy" for my 4th animal. I've always been very impressed with his work.

Mike,

Tell us about your mock scrape and dripper. Great buck by the way and I commend you for your effort.

MIKE, YOU DA MAN!!!

Your dedication pays off again. The fact that the big one got away will only make you want to get back out there even more.

Way to go!

Love the pic with the kids!

I hunted pretty hard this Janary. Took off a week and 1/2 to try to stick a really big one this year. I have a buck on my trail camera that I think will go over 110" net and gross. Two years ago I was guessing him as high 90's low 100's but this year he is just HUGE!!! He came in one time while I was in my stand tending a doe. She came in first and he hung out in the thick stuff. Finally he presented a head on shot, as I pulled back he recognized the sound of my arrow touching my rest and he took off. My heart was really pounding after seeing that huge of a buck in real life. I hunted that same stand 3 more days passing on a few smaller 75" and less bucks. I rattled and grunted in a few just to play around with him.

Yesterday I was hunting that spot as my final day for January. It was the day after a snow so I thought it would be extra good. It wasn't as I didn't see anything until 12:00 pm. It was a little forky buck that came by and scraped. I spooked him by accident and as he was running away with his tail up, I grunted to him hoping he would come back just for entertainment. Not a minute later I detected movement as a decent buck walked up the canyon towards me. From far away he looked pretty good and I was feeling depressed having not seen the big boy for the last few days. I thought to myself, " I'll just take the big buck next January, by that time my back will be healed and I wont feel as much pain sitting in the stand. This buck was coming in fast and it appeared he was looking for the source of the grunt. He stopped at a nearby scrape and did his thing very agressively. He even raked the pine sappling. Afterward he continued on towards me and stopped right at my mock scrape with a dripper. As he sniffed the ground I drew back and took only a 15 yd shot. The shot was perfect for the steep angle ripping one lung apart and coming out of his liver. He only ran 20 yds and piled up. He is the biggest hard horned buck I've killed and I'm very happy with him. I will not settle for anything but that whopper next year though!!! Here are a few pics. I'll post his score in a few days, if any of you want to try out your knowlege at guessing? I'll be using Greg Mcbride "Trails end Taxidermy" for my 4th animal. I've always been very impressed with his work.

Mike,

Tell us about your mock scrape and dripper. Great buck by the way and I commend you for your effort.

Over the years I've found certain doe in estrus products that seem to work better than others to use in my daytime drippers. The particular area I chose to hunt is a bench with several trails crossing 20 yds from my stand. There are about 5 natural scrapes the bucks made themselves within a 50 yd radius and then my mock scrape. On my mock scrape I use forehead gland scent on the licking branch and a certain doe in estrus pee in my dripper. I've witnessed it work too many times to know that it is indeed effective however it is not a miracle worker like some may think. Some of the smaller bucks that came in totally ignored it. I think the timing has to be right for the mock scrape to be effective as well as for the grunts, bleats, and rattling. I'm quite sure this buck I shot came in as a result of my grunting due to his very aggresive behavior.

Thanks for the Kudos, I love doing it!! I just hope it's not so painfull next January!