Sign in to follow this  
Edge

13th Triple Crown?

Great race. But Secretariats track record of 2:24 still stands.

Secretariat has the track record on all three of these tracks! Quite a horse.

The year that Secretariat won, the same horse came in 2nd in all three races, I believe the only time that has ever happened. Which means that the second place horse would have won the Triple Crown that year had Secretariat not been around. It's a shame two such amazing horses had to be running in the same year.

• Like 1

The year that Secretariat won, the same horse came in 2nd in all three races, I believe the only time that has ever happened. Which means that the second place horse would have won the Triple Crown that year had Secretariat not been around. It's a shame two such amazing horses had to be running in the same year.

also ashame that this is the first I have ever heard of that. Poor horse. Guess the saying 2nd place is first place loser holds true.
  • Like 1

And one of the archaic rules, the three year olds must have also had a start in a race as a two year old. And not just any race, a graded III stakes race with quality field.

So breeding, conception at precisely the right time is a big part of the game. For a horse born 31 December is on paper a year older than a horse born just days or weeks later.

Another wrinkle in all this is for Thoroughbred registry, the dam and sire must conceive in live cover. No AI or cloning.

Justify didn't race as a two year old he's the only undefeated triple crown horse that didn't race as a two year old.

• Like 1

And one of the archaic rules, the three year olds must have also had a start in a race as a two year old. And not just any race, a graded III stakes race with quality field.

So breeding, conception at precisely the right time is a big part of the game. For a horse born 31 December is on paper a year older than a horse born just days or weeks later.

Another wrinkle in all this is for Thoroughbred registry, the dam and sire must conceive in live cover. No AI or cloning.

Justify didn't race as a two year old he's the only undefeated triple crown horse that didn't race as a two year old.
Hopefully this means there's been a rule change? Or was it never a rule just a common practice? Racing two year olds is bad news physically for the horses.

Was that Sham? But look how far back Sham is in the above photo.

I don't think Secretariat's record at the Belmont will ever be broken.

• Like 1

The reason I gave up watching horse racing was there are owners who will not run their horses until the last race for a spoiler. I think it is an amazing animal that can run all three races and win them all especially when there are horses that are fresh from not running the first two races.

also ashame that this is the first I have ever heard of that. Poor horse. Guess the saying 2nd place is first place loser holds true.

Get the movie and catch up already geeeez

• Like 1

I don't think Secretariat's record at the Belmont will ever be broken.

Was some 30 lengths ahead at finish

He was in los alamitos way back in the day.

He had a horse Gold Coast Express that was lightning in the form of a horse. Unreal to watch in person.