Sign in to follow this  
Rag Horn

Fall away rest help

2 hours ago, Rag Horn said:

It's a rip cord code red. They are on the cheaper end of the fall away rest spectrum. Wonder if my iPhone slow mo would be good enough to catch that. I'll have to try. 

If I remember correctly rip cord was the worst one with QAD being the best. 

• Like 1

I went to a QAD HDX last year and love it.  Several factors can cause fletch contact: rest timing (set with the cord length), rest not at center shot, arrow spine too weak, tall fletching (more than 1/2"), bow torque (poor grip/release). Shoot through paper at about 6 feet. The tear can give some indication.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Viper said:

I went to a QAD HDX last year and love it.  Several factors can cause fletch contact: rest timing (set with the cord length), rest not at center shot, arrow spine too weak, tall fletching (more than 1/2"), bow torque (poor grip/release). Shoot through paper at about 6 feet. The tear can give some indication.

I am a very new bow shooter so exploring  “poor grip/release” topic interests me because it’s probably an issue too. Can you expound on that topic?

The image is flipped the arrows close together should be on top. But here is an example. The arrow separated in the group of 3 had more blue on the fletching than the other 2 indicating to me more contact with the rest. Maybe I shanked that shot or maybe it is separated because it hit the rest more. Either way it had more blue on it.  

1AC0BBEB-612E-4F21-8687-53BBED454C3B.jpeg

I guess for full disclosure I ditched a ripcord 4 years ago to a limb drive type( pro v limbdriver and hamskea). 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rag Horn said:

The image is flipped the arrows close together should be on top. But here is an example. The arrow separated in the group of 3 had more blue on the fletching than the other 2 indicating to me more contact with the rest. Maybe I shanked that shot or maybe it is separated because it hit the rest more. Either way it had more blue on it.  

1AC0BBEB-612E-4F21-8687-53BBED454C3B.jpeg

If your not sure shoot several time. Then you’ll know for sure. 

Are these field tips 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, oz31p said:

If your not sure shoot several time. Then you’ll know for sure. 

Are these field tips 

This happens from group to group to varying degrees but this example is the most pronounced. They are field tips. Only at 20 yards (it's all my back yard allows) I have to go to the range for farther shots. 

Side note it's been funny in a way after I bought  the rest I have found way more negative reviews than before I bought one when I was doing all my research. 

It’s sounds like it’s a affecting flight to me. Might have to hit a bow shop for adjustment 

• Thanks 1

It is probably the clamp. My suggestion is find a shop with a hooter shooter. Have them put the cord from the rest between the cables and pull the rest cord until the rest comes all the way up and then serve the cord into the cable's. If not try a limb driven rest like a hamskea.

• Like 1

X2 on the QAD I've seen way too many issues over the years with Ripcoard's. QAD is all we've been using for years and I've personally haven't had any issues with any of mine. Your defiantly getting some contact, either its not falling fast enough or its bouncing back up slightly, Id think more than likely the 1st. This close to season I would defiantly take it into a shop and see if they can adjust it to track properly then maybe down the road get you a different rest.

• Like 1

For anyone on pins and needles steeped in anticipation awaiting conclusion I think the issue is resolved. Archery headquarters in Chandler fixed me up. They timed the rest and helped me with vein alignment and we were punching bullet holes in paper in no time. No more contact. Whew. 

• Like 2
  • Great Buck! 1

Glad to hear, good luck this season. You have anymore issues shoot me a PM ill try and help ya out where I can.

• Thanks 1

Between my wife and I, four different bows using the QAD Ultra rest Hunter with noise at shot, inconsistency, with some arrows doing a visible wild bronco ride to the target area. All installed at archery pro shops, including one shop also setting the center shot way off on the Mathews I had. I ended up plugging the QAD CD into the computer and reviewing the installation instructions several times. Then went through step by step and remounted the rest and timing cord length and served in position and nock height according to QAD's instructions. Every one of our bows suddenly got dramatically quieter and more consistent shots. We did discover the QAD rest that replaced a whisker biscuit on my wife's first bow came up with a glitch during drop and would bounce. Replaced it with a new QAD rest and used cheap lipstick on the launcher to verify clearance of the fletching and all is well now with that bow. I went with a QAD HDX with the lock down function that stops any launcher bounce on my Evolve 35 and it's still doing great at 1,000 arrows shot so far with it.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 4:58 AM, Rag Horn said:

So I have moved that guy all around trying to find a spot where it didn’t hit. Those specific marks probably came from when cock vein was at a 9 o’clock ish position. 

Vane....for the love of God.....it is COCK VANE.  Not cock vein.....or, just shoot feathers.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve got a ripcord on one of my bows.  As mentioned, cut those dang prongs down and your problem will be solved.  That plastic launcher arm is an issue in its own right.

my two primary bows have vapor trail limb drivers on them.  If you’re going to use a drop away, use a limb driver.  They are much more reliable than anything requiring springs to pull it out of the way of a fast moving arrow.

• Like 1