Sign in to follow this  
SilentButDeadly

Ethics of Finding a Trail Camera

Wow, look at that a nice digital trail camera hung on that tree,  

116 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do?

• Good thing I've got my bolt cutters with me, I'm taking that sucker home
    • I'm gonna look at the pictures, then erase them! Don't want that guy knowing about the bucks around here...
    • I'll take a peak at the photos, but leave them for the owner to see too!
    • I'm gonna jump in front of the camera with my pants down!
    • Better leave it be, wouldn't want anyone messing with my trail camera
    • If I take it I'll have bad luck forever... Maybe I'll tell my buddy about it, he has no problem stealing stuff!

Treestands...left up out of season....on public land, I don't agree with. If they are going to leave them up ALL year then it is considered fair game, ABANDONDED property!

Lame, a thief is a thief.............

Guest 300ultramag.

I think everyone knows the consequences of leaving your stuff out in the field................

...... PEOPLE STEAL.

If you left your truck unlocked and someone stole your gear..That is your fault... PEOPLE STEAL!... so either elevate your cams so they are not at eye level w/ a bungee cord.. :P

OR BUY SOME LAND AND DO WHAT EVER U WISH.. With the recession I hear land properties are at an all time low..

I think everyone knows the consequences of leaving your stuff out in the field................

...... PEOPLE STEAL.

If you left your truck unlocked and someone stole your gear..That is your fault... PEOPLE STEAL!... so either elevate your cams so they are not at eye level w/ a bungee cord.. :P

OR BUY SOME LAND AND DO WHAT EVER U WISH.. With the recession I hear land properties are at an all time low..

Wait wait wait. Let me see if I'm following you correctly here. If I leave my truck unlocked it's MY fault if someone steals something out of it? I do find the comment funny about the bungee cord BTW but regardless if it's tied on with string, you're saying it's still MY fault? Come on!! If a thief smashes my window out of my truck and takes my binos or takes a pair of bolt cutters to the chain on my stand/trail cam is it still MY fault that this happens?!?!?! heck NO IT'S NOT!! A thief is a MF'n thief no matter what!!

I was out in 6a today looking for lion sign. I drove my quad into the bottom of a small canyon on a dim road and parked in the bottom. There was a small bench-like sandy place with a cedar tree just out of the bottom. Looked good for a lion scratch so I walked up there. Instantly a heard a rukus in under the tree and noticed a bobcat in a live trap. I took this pic and walked off. Never even crossed my mind to let the bobcat go or kill it for myself but some of you might.

post-3-1201405359_thumb.jpg

LOL!!! No, it was pissed enough when I got about 2' from it. I think those red spots under it's eyes are from it trying to push it's face through the bars.

is it legal to leave a treestand in the national forest if un-attended?

I just looked at the game and fish regs and its worded like this: " It MAY be unlawful to leave treestands hanging or blinds set for an extended period of time. They MAY be considered abandon property and subject to seizure."

Now the "may" part seems a little vague to me. But either way unless you're a game and fish officer or work for the forest service etc. then its not your job to determine whether or not it's "abandoned" and its not up to your discretion on whether or not to "seize" it. Now I have a climbing stand so I don't leave mine up for more than a day at a time anyway, but a friend of mine had his climbing treestand stolen while we were on a hunt. Ridiculous. <_<

Thats what I say. Unless you have the authority you can't "seize" it, you "stole" it.

Yeah those bob cats sure can get pissed off pretty easy. I kinda learned that the hard way. Last January I was out shooting yotes with my 300 win mag and saw a bob cat a few hundred yards up on a hill filled with big boulders. I knew if I shot the bob cat behind the shoulder I would ruin the cape so I thought I could just shoot him low in the stomach and gut him with the shot so I could save the cape. SO I shot him and I saw him fall down behind the rock he was on. SO I left my gun at the bottom of the hill because the hill was hard to climb with rocks the size of a truck every were on it. I climbed may way up to were I last saw the cat drop to find him in a small cave really, really pissed off. I guess I just barely wounded him and just broke his leg and grazed his gut. So i had to crawl into a cave with just a few rocks to finish him off. He was screaming and tring to scratch me when I crawled into that cave. I finally killed him with a rock and was able to save his hide but thats the last time I crawl into a cave with a pissed off bobcat.

Guest 300ultramag.

...... PEOPLE STEAL.

Wait wait wait. Let me see if I'm following you correctly here. If I leave my truck unlocked it's MY fault if someone steals something out of it? I do find the comment funny about the bungee cord BTW but regardless if it's tied on with string, you're saying it's still MY fault? Come on!! If a thief smashes my window out of my truck and takes my binos or takes a pair of bolt cutters to the chain on my stand/trail cam is it still MY fault that this happens?!?!?! heck NO IT'S NOT!! A thief is a MF'n thief no matter what!!

Yes,YOUR fault..... Dont put this on the thieves..... :o

I went out and replaced all my bear boxes with dental floss....Maybe NOW I will be able to relate :lol: :lol:

BTW i left my truck unlocked and my stuff got stolen... I blame nobody else but myself, because I know better.

But if i catch a thief............... :ph34r: hopefully a 20 yd pin could do the trick! :o

Yeah Grong don't you know when a crime is committed that its ALWAYS the victims fault. They should start putting the victims in jail because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time and they're the reason this world is going to sh!t. The criminals are just doing whats natural. :lol:

I'd like to know who the 4 were, who said they would either steal it, or erase all the pics. I hope they were joking.

I was out in 6a today looking for lion sign. I drove my quad into the bottom of a small canyon on a dim road and parked in the bottom. There was a small bench-like sandy place with a cedar tree just out of the bottom. Looked good for a lion scratch so I walked up there. Instantly a heard a rukus in under the tree and noticed a bobcat in a live trap. I took this pic and walked off. Never even crossed my mind to let the bobcat go or kill it for myself but some of you might.

post-3-1201405359_thumb.jpg

I don't mean to change the subject but is it legal or illegal to use live traps? Just curious.Good morals to leave the cat because that hide is worth more than alot of trail cams.

live trapping is legal. you do need a trapping license, plus a bobcat permit. have the cage marked with your info. name or trapper license info. and you must check your traps daily.

Actually thievery is an addiction and it really is our fault for leaving our vehicle unlocked or our stands and our trail cams, we really should be in trouble for tempting them!! Yeah Right!! IT is a conscious choice to steal or not to steal, it does not matter if it is a trail cam, a treestand, or a frigging rifle leaning against a tree. If it is not yours keep your stinking hands off of it!!!! I dont even keep quarters I find in the car wash!! They are not mine, so why bother!! I hope I never leave a treestand out around coues$, especially if was needing one!! :blink: Thieves suck and at some time they all get what is coming to them, I just wish I was there to see it more often!! :lol: AG