Sign in to follow this  
SilentButDeadly

Ethics of Finding a Trail Camera

Wow, look at that a nice digital trail camera hung on that tree,  

116 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do?

• Good thing I've got my bolt cutters with me, I'm taking that sucker home
    • I'm gonna look at the pictures, then erase them! Don't want that guy knowing about the bucks around here...
    • I'll take a peak at the photos, but leave them for the owner to see too!
    • I'm gonna jump in front of the camera with my pants down!
    • Better leave it be, wouldn't want anyone messing with my trail camera
    • If I take it I'll have bad luck forever... Maybe I'll tell my buddy about it, he has no problem stealing stuff!

If I find a camera I don't mess with them. Treestands...left up out of season....on public land, I don't agree with. If they are going to leave them up ALL year then it is considered fair game, ABANDONDED property!

I'm curious, why is a treestand left after season fair game and the trail camera not? What if you weren't able to make it back up to your stand site for a couple weeks after whatever season you're hunting and some dip-shiznit came and took it with that kind of mentality. It'd torque you pretty hard wouldn't it? I mean, it's your hard earned dollars and sweat equity to find a decent spot for your stand and maybe you just didn't have a wknd where you could get away due to work or babysitting or whatever. Regardless of what the excuse of not being able to get out it's STILL SOMEBODY ELSE'S PROPERTY AND NOT YOURS!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I have never stolen any stand. I understand the property may not be mine upon finding it. What if I want to use that area/tree for my stand? Some guy has his stand up ALL year? It is public land they have shown no ineterest in removing it...it would appear ABANDONED! I should be able to remove it and utilize the tree for my usage. I have a problem with folks thinking that because they have a stand hanging ALL the time that they have rights to that area. BULLSHIT! It is public land and FIRST COME FIRST SERVED! When you head out and are done hunting...pack your stuff out with you.

Or you could just leave crap alone and let the G&F and USFS, worry about what needs to be taken down.

Or you could just leave crap alone and let the G&F and USFS, worry about what needs to be taken down.

Very good point Stan...you took the words right out of my mouth!

By the way nice signature line! (You crack me up)

Phil

If thats the ONLY spot that you know of to hunt and refuse to hunt elsewhere because someone left their stand up, then call the g&f or forest service and let them know. I've run across permenant stands and I just ignore it and go somewhere else. I have a climber so I pack mine out almost everytime. You could also try leaving your name and number on the stand and work something out with the guy to where you can both hunt there. Now I'm not advocating being a tattle tail because but there are options. ;)

No one should steal anyone stuff regardless of any abandonment law.....end of story. I would have to agree with AZ402's comment: "Or you could just leave crap alone and let the G&F and USFS, worry about what needs to be taken down). When it comes to camera's if you find one.....leave it alone.....it's not yours and who cares if someone got your picture.....if your into mooning the camera knock yourself out I'm sure you and the camera's owner will both get a kick out of it. On another note, I believe that if you find a treestand and plan on returning to hunt....leave a note with your contact # and if the person who owns the take the time to call you and you can work something out (mind you just cause he has his stand up doesn't mean he own the area or that spot) then great. If they don't take the time to call you or don't find your note......well then it's a first come first serve deal. NO ONE AND I REPEAT NO ONE OWNS A SPOT JUST BECAUSE THEY TOOK THE TIME TO DEVELOPE A SALT PLOT, PUT OUT CAMERA'S OR PUT UP A STAND. And as courteous sportsmen if you run into a situation (no matter how much time, money or effort has been expended) you should walk away if you weren't the first guy in the field.

This all becomes super touchy and I'm sure it's not as cut and dry as I just said.....TREESTANDMAN's situation was a perfect example.

Now I'm not trying to be a jerk when I say this but "This is just my $0.02 whether you asked for it or not!" :P

I have found many stands and cameras over the years. I never have touched one of them and I never will.

To take one is no different than taking something from a camp, a truck or a house. It is STEALING.

I admit it, I'm a pant-dropper.

Okay, I'm not that proud of myself, but if I stumble in front of it & trigger it you will probably find a picture of my smiling face waving at you. If I spot it before triggering it, I make an effort to not be caught on film, because I like thinking that no one else knows about my spot and I chose to preserve that feeling for other hunters.

In case you think you may have caught me, here's a recent photo for comparison:

post-1431-1201620113.jpg

While I agree that no one owns a spot after developing a salt lick. I also believe that most people only want to hunt that spot after finding that someone did develope the salt lick. There's a big differnce in still hunting thru the area and suddenly deciding to put up a tree stand. As for others stuff leave it alone and go find another saddle or stand area and do your own homework.

I swear.... :angry: .... Anyone who thinks that helping yourself to someone elses stuff is "okay" or "cool" needs to have their hand cut off!! :angry:

I have found lots of cameras and stands/blinds over the years...... and have Never stolen any of them. As a matter of fact.... finding someone elses stuff tells me that I am scouting in the wrong spot and need to hunt somewhere else on the Millions of acres of National Forest, BLM, or State land..... Get a clue..... Have some etiquette!..... Have some comon decency.... BUY YOUR OWN TOYS.... and give other hunters a couple hundred yards of space, for cryin' out loud!!!! <_< :angry:

I guess you now know how I voted! ;)

Thank You!

CnS

I swear.... :angry: .... Anyone who thinks that helping yourself to someone elses stuff is "okay" or "cool" needs to have their hand cut off!! :angry:

I have found lots of cameras and stands/blinds over the years...... and have Never stolen any of them. As a matter of fact.... finding someone elses stuff tells me that I am scouting in the wrong spot and need to hunt somewhere else on the Millions of acres of National Forest, BLM, or State land..... Get a clue..... Have some etiquette!..... Have some comon decency.... BUY YOUR OWN TOYS.... and give other hunters a couple hundred yards of space, for cryin' out loud!!!! <_< :angry:

I guess you now know how I voted! ;)

Thank You!

CnS

Need more detail to be able to tell how you voted.

:P

I had to vote moon the cam. under no circumstances sshould you ever steal anything. its a fellow hunter trying to accomplish the same thing we all are. but after all i always moon my own cams.....possibly with other explicit gestures....just incase some one does happen to find mine and feel a bit theivy. so if anyone finds mine that voted they would steal it or check the pics and delete yall got a suprising first few pics.

So right and wrong aside, (because what's legal and what's right are not always the same), does anyone know if the removing of an object (treestand or camera) from public land is legally considered theft? Don't get me wrong, I certainly think that it's stealing, but a few of you tough talkin dudes may find yourself in a lot more legal trouble with an assault charge than the guy who is stealing the camera.

Mark

Stealing is a crime and the person caught should pay the price, and they actually might be lucky that they are doing it in the forest because if I caught them in or on my property they might get a bad case of lead poisoning. No matter how someone tries to sugar coat this taking something that is not yours and is affixed to something that tells you that it is being used and is not lost or discarded is theft, it may not be law, but it is what it is. The treestands stuck in trees for years might tick some people off including me, but it doesn't make me near as mad as someone leaving notes or signs up telling you to stay out of an area 09-14 thru 09-28 since we will be sitting this tank, or blocking a public road with debris or signs that are there to keep you out. What should bother all of us about the trail cams is that we might not know the person taking them, but there has to be a high percentage that are taken by hunters, a few to animal rights people, and a few to others, but hunters have to be the majority, it sure as heck isn't someone out to steal to buy some crack or even to get cash to feed their families ( and yes they need beat too ), but for all of us that know what kind of time and effort is put in with these trail cams, then there is the money for the cam and gas to get back and forth to them. We can argue about alot of different things that deal with hunting, but we shouldn't be arguing about whether or not we should steal from each other.