PowellSixO

Cost to paint a house (Exterior)??

I'm having a few contractors come by to give me a quote on painting my home today and tomorrow, and was wondering what I should expect as far as cost. My house is single story, and roughly 1800 square feet. It's pretty simple, with no extravagant trim work or anything like that. I'm wanting the eves, siding, and trim painted (everything exterior but the doors). I'm expecting a professional job (better than I could do myself). The house has partical board siding I believe.  So what do you think I should expect to pay? House.thumb.jpg.e55bc0739e2b42c19143f94c6c9a13dc.jpg

We are having our house painted today.  Ours is single story 2400 square feet.  We are going with 3 different colors.  It's costing us $2400 going with medium quality paint.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Big Browns said:

We are having our house painted today.  Ours is single story 2400 square feet.  We are going with 3 different colors.  It's costing us $2400 going with medium quality paint.

Thanks. I'm hoping that's about what it costs to do mine. I'm thinking somewhere between 2500-3000 for a good quality job. 

6 hours ago, Big Browns said:

Two color or one? That seems cheap for a two color.  I usually Google earth measure the perimeter of the house than average the slab to roof height including the eaves etc. And go $.90 per measured square footage.  That is usually 2 color and includes prep.  

• Like 1

If the existing paint is still sound and not chalky then 2400 sounds about right.  If it's chalky it will need power-washing and primer with an additive for sticking to chalky surfaces, then a top coat.  That would add to cost.  

1 hour ago, bigbuckfever said:

If the existing paint is still sound and not chalky then 2400 sounds about right.  If it's chalky it will need power-washing and primer with an additive for sticking to chalky surfaces, then a top coat.  That would add to cost.  

It's not horrible, but yes some of it is chalky on the south facing walls. I'm sure some prep work will be needed. 

Make sure that you rub your hand over the surface prior to any paint going on.  If your hand is chalky at all, then insist on an additive like "Emulsa Bond" be added to the first coat.  It will allow it to stick to a slightly chalky surface, but will need a top coat as it isn't designed to be used as a top coat.  Probably TMI, but I do this for a living.  Now go take your bow out and find a deer while you still can.  LOL

• Like 2

Thanks for the responses everyone. I ended up getting 3 quotes, which included pressure washing, calking, priming, and painting the entire exterior. They were fro 3500, 3500, and 4000. A little bit more than I was expecting, but not by much. I'm going to go with the company that has the best reviews, and hope for the best. 

I'd go looking for more deer, but I blew my bow up this weekend. :(

I went to draw back, and my release let loose after an inch of pulling. It shot my arrow in the dirt. I thought to myself that's weird, I must not have set my release. So like a dummy, I tried pulling it back without an arrow, and it let loose again on me. But this time, it decided to do it at 3/4 draw. POW!!!!! It's now time for a new bow. :( 

Resized_20180909_183126_5725 (002).jpeg

Attention!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We recently had our house painted.  The painters did a fantastic job.  The only MAJOR problem is the paint color we picked looks NOTHING like the samples.  Therefore we now have a house with a color we absolutely HATE!  I'm attempting to work with the paint manufacture to get free paint, but we will still have to pay full price to have it re-painted.  This is a huge cost that we did not expect!  Yes, we could leave it, but over time I feel this will become an issue so we decided to just pay the extra price.

We picked colors from a book and had the colors computer generated onto a picture of our house.  If I had to do it all over again I would have found a house in our neighborhood we liked and picked the same colors.  That way we would have known exactly what we were getting!

Solution:  Ensure you paint a small section of your house before you paint the entire house to ensure you like the color.  I highly recommend you paint a section in the shade and a section that get's full sun.  My house currently looks totally different in the sun compared to how it looks in the shade.

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1