Sign in to follow this  
singleshot

Elton Bingham's Rifle

Great story, I really enjoyed reading it!  Thank you for posting it!  Awesome gun and even better gun history.

I’m sure he’s proud of you and sharing some of the same memories. My grand dads both hunted but my dad didn’t and I started later in life. I always feel connected to them when I’m chasing elk in the aspens or deer in the desert. Neat story and I’m glad it ended with since a nice deer. Congrats!

Fantastic story and memories! Looking forward to the next chapter when your grandkid writes about their deer with that rifle! Thanks for sharing.

Grew up in Wisconsin and hunted whitetail in the balsom swamps for 12 years before moving to Arizona. Great write up. I harvested a cow elk this fall with a Remington 1903A3 that was made in 1942 and carried through Europe during WWII.

• Like 2

Elton Bingham was my grandfather, too, so the man who first posted this is my cousin.  (Hey, Cuz.) I came across this website while doing some family research and thought I'd add that another of Elton Bingham's longguns is still in use and is in excellent condition.  

I inherited his varmint gun:  It's a J. STEVENS Model 59A .410.  It's tube fed and shoots both 2.5 and 3 inch shotshells.  I saw my grandfather pick off "rabbits on the run" several times with it. 

The .410 was heading toward extinction,  but it's regained some popularity as a weapon of self defense.  At close range and loaded with Winchester's Defender shotshells, it's as devastating as a .357 magnum. But its energy is quickly expended and the pattern is tight, so collateral damage to the walls and the house next door is minimized. 

Singleshot, thanks for the stroll down memory lane . I carry my grandfathers model 14 in 32 rem every year back in the catskills ( I refer to it as 'I'm going to take Grandpa for a walk'. ) and it always brings back memories of the times I had with him. We are  lucky men.