IA Born

Rocky Point Fishing

One of my wife's coworkers offered us his house in Rocky Point and we're looking into a spring break trip in March.  Can anyone recommend a fishing outfit down there?  The last time I was in Rocky Point was almost 15 years ago, and the fishing boat I found had a mostly flat tire on the trailer, the motor quit working a mile from shore (fixed with a ball peen hammer), and we sat in one spot catching tiny trigger fish for a couple of hours.  I'd like to find something a little less exciting on the boat-working/trailer front, but way more exciting on the fishing front.  I did a Google search last night and found 3-4 places, but only one had consistently high reviews. I know several of you here go to Rocky Point regularly and fish, so I'm hoping you'll help me out.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Adicted said:

Pull up some of my old posts about rocky point fishing

Thanks, Travis. I'll check them out!

I went with the guy referred to me by Addicted in this post a few years ago. As far as I know, I may still hold the record for the smallest trigger fish Martin has ever seen anyone catch. Back them I think he was charging about $200 for the half day trip for up to 5 people. I think you could have 1 or 2 more people above that for an additional $40 each.

Hey Brian,

I am heading back to Puerto Penasco for another 1MISSION trip in a few weeks.  Going fishing again too, 1/2 day on pangas.  Not a darn thing wrong with that as long as the boat works and they keep you on fish.  The trip I did last year was fine in that regard.  Those triggers are really good eating, especially fried up!  Fun to catch on light rigs.  Making me hungry just thinking about it!  I will try to get the names of the pangas we will be using.  I think most of the fishing is that kind of thing but there are more options like Trphyhntr suggests.  I think most of the gringos that really like to fish bring their own boats, so the options seem to be limited for great tourist sportfishing.  Overfishing could be an issue too, but just a hunch.  Good Luck and keep us posted on what you come up with.  

Nick

On 12/27/2018 at 9:48 AM, rossislider said:

I went with the guy referred to me by Addicted in this post a few years ago. As far as I know, I may still hold the record for the smallest trigger fish Martin has ever seen anyone catch. Back them I think he was charging about $200 for the half day trip for up to 5 people. I think you could have 1 or 2 more people above that for an additional $40 each.

$200 for a 1/2 day sounds expensive, especially to catch trigger fish.

Been out with this guy the last couple of years.  Today was a bit slower than last year but we caught plenty.  Comfortable boat for up to 6 anglers.  Shouldn't be more than 40 bucks a head.  Eduardo is a great Captain!

20190118_075943.jpg

20190118_174909.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/28/2018 at 12:23 PM, Heat said:

Hey Brian,

I am heading back to Puerto Penasco for another 1MISSION trip in a few weeks.  Going fishing again too, 1/2 day on pangas.  Not a darn thing wrong with that as long as the boat works and they keep you on fish.  The trip I did last year was fine in that regard.  Those triggers are really good eating, especially fried up!  Fun to catch on light rigs.  Making me hungry just thinking about it!  I will try to get the names of the pangas we will be using.  I think most of the fishing is that kind of thing but there are more options like Trphyhntr suggests.  I think most of the gringos that really like to fish bring their own boats, so the options seem to be limited for great tourist sportfishing.  Overfishing could be an issue too, but just a hunch.  Good Luck and keep us posted on what you come up with.  

Nick

nick i forgot your real name and we were cracking up while we were fishing at your comment on FB. he's like who is nick, he says he hates you lmfao. i said idk who that is lol

• Like 1

On 12/27/2018 at 9:51 AM, Roosevelt Mark said:

Stay out of the water amigos.

I got called a crazy gringo by the search n rescue  guy  out of Cholla for swimming on the reef one time, trying to wipe fish blood n slime off after taking  photos of a big grouper.  Turns out the panga next to us had a 70 pounder  bit in half by a 10 footer  at the boat. They got the head part.  That day, ignorance was bliss.