JBenz63

When you’re upset you don’t draw

Who cares about this right now, any CC hits? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Coach said:

Pretty sure that's exactly what I just said.

Sorta. But I thought you were referring to the way the current system is -- supposedly imperfect. And what I meant was that even in a supposedly PERFECT one, it would still produce unhappy folks. 

My grandson has been building points toward a bull tag. He is hooked on hunting as he has taken numerous Javelina and a couple deer. He told me he didn't want to hunt cows when he was 11 years old. He is now 14 and has no issues waiting his turn hopefully that will be this year. I have no issues with guys building points to get their kids a better chance or themselves. I have numerous opportunities to hunt with friends and others. It is just a bonus when my name is on a tag.  

• Like 1

I got a notification from Capital One that a charge from Game and Fish was declined because my card was Locked.  That seems to be the ticket if you don't want to draw a tag that you put in for on accident but still want to keep your loyalty and bonus points.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2019 at 9:45 PM, wildwoody said:

Used to have to wait three years to apply again after getting drawn for elk.

I remember this and think it should be like that now.... just my opinion and I have been drawn for archery bull elk twice in three years twice in my life....

• Like 2

On 3/1/2019 at 7:30 AM, TOBY said:

This really shows who wears the Kuiu camo on this site. )

Whats wrong with kuiu?

• Like 1

Dang kids killing all the trophies! No wonder all the guides with high paying out of state clients can't consistently find and kill trophies every year. 

• Haha 1

On 2/1/2019 at 9:37 PM, Flatlander said:

We used to slaughter cows on the archery hunts. Most of the guys griping about how many tags are issued now have no idea how many cows we were killing in the 90’s and 00’s. The Dept made a conscious decision to increase opportunity by shifting tags to bull hunts while simultaneously increasing herd numbers by reducing cow harvest. 

The results are exactly what Wildwoody described. More elk, fewer older age class bulls. Same $ in Dept budget.

I would say this was the fundamental shift that moved AZ away from the trophy Mecca it once was and into a more balanced state. Still WAY better than most, but not what it was.

I don’t hate it, but man what I wouldn’t give for a 2000 3C archery bull tag.

We too use to hunt archery cow exclusively (can't say we slaughtered them, though 🙂 ), but we got to hunt every other year or so. Then I remember a letter G & F sent out in the mid 2000's saying something like "It has come to our attention that too many hunters are applying for archery cow as their first choice and getting drawn often. When the allotment of cow permits was originally made, it was assumed that hunters would be applying for bull tags for their first choice and cow tags as 2nd." Then something about more fairly distributing the hunting opportunity, they were reallocating more of those tags to bull hunts.