I have an alloy bolt shroud for it in hand.

Here are actual weight savings from another build I did for bolt mods.

Alloy bolt shroud -2oz

Bolt flute -1oz

Carbon fiber knob vs steel -2oz. Vs alloy -1oz

Skeltonize handle should lose -1oz (never done one yet)

• Like 1

As a side note if you choose to replace your shroud, at least with an aluminum one, you might want to shoot it a few times to make sure it works alright. I've seen it happen a couple of times where the light shroud would cause the firing pin to drag enough not to ignite the primer, weather it was poor instalment or not I don't know.

I have 3 other alloy shrouds.  No issues with them.  I will be doing load development for the rifle as soon as it is done and time permits.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

I have an alloy bolt shroud for it in hand.

Here are actual weight savings from another build I did for bolt mods.

Alloy bolt shroud -2oz

Bolt flute -1oz

Carbon fiber knob vs steel -2oz. Vs alloy -1oz

Skeltonize handle should lose -1oz (never done one yet)

5-6 ounces counts!!

• Like 1

I went down last week to go over Cerakote color with Brad.  We got it real close, and he tweaked it just a bit and sprayed and baked a test sample.  Not sure of the final ratios, but it is a mixture of approximately 80% Copper Bown, 15% Gold, 5% S&W Red.  It actually has a hint of metallic in it when seen in the sun.  Badass.

124632_zpsa0fblwrz.jpeg

Action, barrel metal/brake, bolt handle, bolt shroud will be copper.

Bottom metal, bolt body, Picatinny rail will be armor black.  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

I went down last week to go over Cerakote color with Brad.  We got it real close, and he tweaked it just a bit and sprayed and baked a test sample.  Not sure of the final ratios, but it is a mixture of approximately 80% Copper Bown, 15% Gold, 5% S&W Red.  It actually has a hint of metallic in it when seen in the sun.  Badass.

124632_zpsa0fblwrz.jpeg

Action, barrel metal/brake, bolt handle, bolt shroud will be copper.

Bottom metal, bolt body, Picatinny rail will be armor black.  

Unbelieveable work and precision.......very cool that you have the knowlege and talent!!!

OK.  A month to the day, and that was with waiting on a custom stencil for the barrel engraving, I picked up the 6.5SLR.

I lost more than the 4lbs I hoped to.  I actually lost 5lbs 1oz after all was completed.  From 15lbs 9oz scoped to 10lbs 8oz scoped.

Scale was bouncing between 10lbs 7oz and 10lbs 8oz.

20190328_152427_zpst1my7kor.jpg

A couple quick photos after slapping the scope on and boresighting.  I will hopefully get some better outdoor photos this weekend if I get caught up on reloading.

I didn't do the bolt handle skeletonizing after all.  But I think it turned out amazing.  

20190328_152510_zpscesw67jy.jpg

20190328_152728_zpseqseggcv.jpg

20190328_152736_zps8yet0j5c.jpg

Feels like the new chamber is about .001" shorter than the old one.  Pretty good, as the previously FL sized cases still fit and you can just barely feel the bolt close stiffer.  A fired case will not close, but I didn't muscle it.  So I will set my die about .001" deeper and go to town on FL sizing the 200 or so fired cases I have.  I will test my other loaded rounds to see how the new barrel likes them and go from there.  About 250 still loaded up.  100 @ 140 HVLD full power hunting loads, 100 140 HVLD light target loads, and 50 @ full power 127 LRX hunting loads.  I am anxious to see how much speed has changed by taking off 6" of barrel length.

Phx Custom Rifles did another great job.  

• Like 6
  • Wow! 1

Great looking gun for 10lbs, it’s going to be sweet. Was this your super light build? It’s hard to shave weight with those heavy S&B scopes, but I know you’re not going to be getting rid of it anytime soon lol. Great build as usual Lance, keep us updated on how it shoots. 

12 minutes ago, ctracingraptor said:

Great looking gun for 10lbs, it’s going to be sweet. Was this your super light build? It’s hard to shave weight with those heavy S&B scopes, but I know you’re not going to be getting rid of it anytime soon lol. Great build as usual Lance, keep us updated on how it shoots. 

Not my "super light build". Just wanted to shave some weight from the 15.5# boat anchor it was since the barrel was done.  Losing 5# and 6" of barrel length will sure make it nicer to carry now.

My 6.5SS I am accumulating parts for will be lighter.  Hoping around 9-9.5# all in.  My .280AI is my "light" rifle at 8lbs 13oz.  I have shot a lot of true lightweights.  I will add 2# and a lot more forgiving platform any day....until I draw a sheep tag.

That is what I was originally expecting.  But, I read an article about barrel lengrh vs. Velocity in a 6.5CM, so I am unsure what to expect now.  Going from 27" to 22" did not lose much more than 30fps.  

https://rifleshooter.com/2016/02/6-5-creedmoor-effect-of-barrel-length-on-velocity-cutting-up-a-creedmoor/

Been watching this one.  Great looking rifle! 

FWIW- My sons 6.5CM 22" barrel chrono'd at 3047, 3048, 3050 fps, true to factory ammo claimed velocity (3050). No loss due to barrel length.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jnj13 said:

Been watching this one.  Great looking rifle! 

FWIW- My sons 6.5CM 22" barrel chrono'd at 3047, 3048, 3050 fps, true to factory ammo claimed velocity (3050). No loss due to barrel length.

What factory ammo is he shooting?? 120gr?