mtuck

First tag for elk, 7W, any help appreciated

Well, now I've done it.  I got drawn for mid-Oct cow elk tag.  I'm looking to stock the freezer with some delicious meat.  Now the problem is, I know almost nothing of the 7W GMU.  I'm starting to dig through the maps but I was hoping that someone might be able to point me in the right direction.  I'm not looking for people to give up their honey holes, but I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

There's elk in most all of 7W. Do you like hunting pines or junipers? I would find some place where you can see for a good distance and glass. The other thing would be to drive the roads before the season and get familiar with the unit.

Go up there and drive around. (Scouting) It a good unit. Plus on that hunt you’ll be chasing bugles.

• Like 1

Get away from the roads to get away from the other hunters. You will greatly increase you odds. 

Have a good set if boots, a good pack, and some glass. Use the boots and glass to fill the pack.

• Like 1

My older daughter has the same tag.  

I have hunted the unit for 30 years.  Early hunt, I like the pines.  But there are elk across the entire unit year round except the highest peaks in the dead of winter.  In October, they will still be all over.

PM sent

35 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

My older daughter has the same tag.  

I have hunted the unit for 30 years.  Early hunt, I like the pines.  But there are elk across the entire unit year round except the highest peaks in the dead of winter.  In October, they will still be all over.

PM sent

Thanks for the help lancetkenyon. Good luck on your hunt.

• Like 1

Thanks for the help everyone.  I've got my first scouting trip planned with a quite few areas to check out.  I'm very excited about this hunt and can't wait to get up there and start looking over the area.  Good luck to all those with tags.

No reason to scout, goto coueswhitetail.com , done, just kidding never hunted it. Goodluck

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wildwoody said:

No reason to scout, goto coueswhitetail.com , done, just kidding never hunted it. Goodluck

I've always planned on scouting but since I live in Tucson (5+ hours away from 7W) I was hoping to get some help with some general areas.  Between working a full-time job (not counting mandatory overtime and on-call) plus 3 busy kids, my available time to scout is limited and I wanted to try and focus the 1 or 2 trips I may be able to take on areas that had some potential.

Sorry, did say just kidding, wish I could help and I would if I ever hunted there, now 22 I can help. I meant goodluck

Most of the whole area holds elk. 

I have only hunted the 7E not 7W, so I dont have alot of info. I do know that Kendrick Mountain is a popular place, so in my mind I would avoid that. 

9 hours ago, wildwoody said:

Sorry, did say just kidding, wish I could help and I would if I ever hunted there, now 22 I can help. I meant goodluck

No worries wildwoody.  I know you were just kidding.  I was just trying to explain my situation.  I remember to hit you up if I ever get  hunt in 22.