Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

Looking for a new GPS

Recommended Posts

Lost my MAP60 so I am looking for a new GPS. It was "ok" but the screen was tiny and navigating it was a PIA. I have OnX but unless you have internet access you can't access your saved maps so you need to keep the saved map active while you still have internet access, if you close that screen you are done, at least that has been my experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A saved OnX map needs no internet access or wifi connection. I will save a few maps if I know I'm going somewhere I don't have connection. I have T-Mobile so thats like everywhere.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bonecollector said:

+1 for OnX maps.

no need to have a handheld gos anymore. 

I mostly used it to find my way back to camp, not sure I can do that with OnX in the middle of  nowhere.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

I mostly used it to find my way back to camp, not sure I can do that with OnX in the middle of  nowhere.

 

As long as you save a offline map of the area you’ll be good. You can save a whole unit offline and you’ll be good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the same issue last week with mine in 7w. I could not open my saved maps. Once I hit service and kept it open it held fine as long as I didnt close it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats why i prefer my garmin etrex. Ive used them all over the world since 2002. Also I like garmin maps better than onX. More details and roads (dirt). I do have onX maps on my rinos and I do like the property owner feature but thats it. I still use garmin mapsource 2008 and it has a lot more roads then onX does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use Avenza and it works great with or without service.  Flatline now has maps on there and they are very detailed.  Best part is you can map on google and transfer the points.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The GPS apps that you can get for your phone will do everything the high-end Garmin will do and then some. Maybe the only exception being 2-way radio on the Rino's. I've used BackCountry Navigator for Android the past 10yrs and purchase the annual Pro package to get a variety of upgraded maps which includes a hybrid CalTopo w/ Accuterra.  Can't say enough good about the app and it's reliability, functionality, customization, compatibility w/ Google Earth and on and on...  Blows the doors off anything else out there in my opinion and is a fraction of the cost associated with the dedicated units. Everything you get with OnX is also available on the app and was offered long before OnX.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, AZDirtyTaco said:

The GPS apps that you can get for your phone will do everything the high-end Garmin will do and then some. Maybe the only exception being 2-way radio on the Rino's. I've used BackCountry Navigator for Android the past 10yrs and purchase the annual Pro package to get a variety of upgraded maps which includes a hybrid CalTopo w/ Accuterra.  Can't say enough good about the app and it's reliability, functionality, customization, compatibility w/ Google Earth and on and on...  Blows the doors off anything else out there in my opinion and is a fraction of the cost associated with the dedicated units. Everything you get with OnX is also available on the app and was offered long before OnX.

This one?

 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.crittermap.backcountrynavigator.license&hl=en_US

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is the one!  I won't geek out on you with it all... But one cool feature is that you can mark a waypoint and also take a picture that will stay with that waypoint along with any notes you want to include.  Awesome for marking any bedding, water catchments, reference for glassing spots or whatever.  I've tried over and over to spend money on a Garmin and just haven't been able to justify it outside of durability and the fact your not using your phone in the field.  Only real thing you'd want to be sure to do is upgrade your microSD card to at least 64gb or 128gb if you haven't already.

You can also use an old phone and still use the app.  I have an old Samsung S5 that I still use for my PhoneSkope and as a backup GPS.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AZDirtyTaco said:

That is the one!  I won't geek out on you with it all... But one cool feature is that you can mark a waypoint and also take a picture that will stay with that waypoint along with any notes you want to include.  Awesome for marking any bedding, water catchments, reference for glassing spots or whatever.  I've tried over and over to spend money on a Garmin and just haven't been able to justify it outside of durability and the fact your not using your phone in the field.  Only real thing you'd want to be sure to do is upgrade your microSD card to at least 64gb or 128gb if you haven't already.

You can also use an old phone and still use the app.  I have an old Samsung S5 that I still use for my PhoneSkope and as a backup GPS.  

I have an S8 that is about 18 months old and has 64gb.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great topic, I spend a lot of time in the back country and have used Garmins in the past. Now I get by just fine with onX and Gaia GPS apps on my phone. It's nice to have one less piece of tech to carry and keep charged.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, TreadLightlyAZ said:

Great topic, I spend a lot of time in the back country and have used Garmins in the past. Now I get by just fine with onX and Gaia GPS apps on my phone. It's nice to have one less piece of tech to carry and keep charged.  

The higher resolution and size of the screen on any smartphone is a nice bonus as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×