Couestracker

Gould's success!

For this season in Arizona, I drew my second Gould's turkey tag, this one in 35A. I found out that Game and Fish holds a survey camp, sponsored by The Huachuca Gould's Chapter of The NWTF, a month before the hunt. 
 Of course I participated in the survey, it was fun, plus I learned a lot about the unit and found some roosting areas. Excellent camp, nice folds and great food! Did I mention the various Dutch-oven cobblers?
 Opening morning I went in where 3 toms had been roosted, but they weren't there. I heard a faint gobble further up the canyon, so I moved a half-mile further in. It was light by now, so I set-up by a little meadow alongside a running Creek and began calling.
 I had a gobbler respond about 300 yards up the canyon. Next gobble he sounded closer, the next sounded farther away. I called again and he sounded closer! I strained my eyes looking thru the trees and brush looking for movement. Finally I catch sight of him, he's strutting and gobbling his way in! 
 I was counting on him coming along the creek, but he was on the dirt road on the far side of the creek. As he passed behind a tree, I got my shotgun up on a knee and pointed that direction. I had ranged all parts of the area, so I knew if I had a clear shot I could take him.
 He continued strutting and gobbling down the road, but there was a lot of brush between us. As I followed him with the muzzle, the road was angling away, when he got to be straight out in front of me, he passed through a clear spot, so I fired-dropped him in his tracks! Turned out to be a 50 yard shot.
 He was a nice tom! Weighed 20.5 lbs, had a thick 11" beard and 1" spurs. Checked the time: 5:50 am.

0503190619.jpg

Beautiful tom!

0503190606.jpg

View from where I shot

0503190606a.jpg

Zoomed in, bird is on edge of road

0502191721_HDR.jpg

View of camp through trees

0502191612_HDR.jpg

Not roughing it this time

0504191906.jpg

Sunset from Coronado National Monument

• Like 12

Congratulations Tommy!!!..looks awesome!!

• Like 1

Great job and congrats, Tommy!

• Like 1

Couestracker, Its a whole different world down there ,isn't it. I loved when I killed mine in the same unit 2 years ago. Might end up hunting deer there this year as I only have 2 points. I love that country.Sure different than where I killed this year in Unit 1.  Congrats again.......BOB!

10 hours ago, naturebob said:

Couestracker, Its a whole different world down there ,isn't it. I loved when I killed mine in the same unit 2 years ago. Might end up hunting deer there this year as I only have 2 points. I love that country.Sure different than where I killed this year in Unit 1.  Congrats again.......BOB!

Yes, nice area for sure. Saw a couple of nice coues bucks still packing gear. Might have to try to get a coues tag there as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Couestracker said:

Yes, nice area for sure. Saw a couple of nice coues bucks still packing gear. Might have to try to get a coues tag there as well.

I keep telling myself I'm heading back to 35A to chase coues after spending last turkey season down there.  We had a pair of bruisers walk across the road in front of us one evening.

• Like 2

one of my favorite places to be... Congrats on a great bird....

• Like 2