PRDATR

Dental Work

Thanks Jessica for atleast just spamming us and not putting a pic of yourself with ducks saying that “girls hunt too”.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I should have been a dentist.  All those billboards with 2 guys and 25 women!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

Thanks Jessica for atleast just spamming us and not putting a pic of yourself with ducks saying that “girls hunt too”.  

I'm curious what she she would look like operating a vacuum hope she posts pics

• Haha 2

On 5/21/2019 at 7:02 AM, yotebuster said:

Be careful in Mexico.  I went to dental school in Glendale and saw some really bad stuff come out of Mexico.  Their cost per procedure is going to be lower but they are gonna make it up in volume.  I can’t count how many times I saw someone who needed one crown and a couple fillings and they came back with 4-5 crowns.  Yes they probably spent the same or less for those 4-5 crowns but the thing about dental work is that if you do 4-5 crowns poorly you’re setting yourself up for a really really expensive future.  Everything dental goes up exponentially each time you mess with it.  A sealant is $30 (sealing a crack before a cavity) a filling is $200 (cutting the cavity out and filling it back up) a crown is $1000 (cutting the tooth into a top hat shape and recovering it with a new ceramic top) a root canal and crown is $2500.  Taking the tooth out and replacing with an implant is $3500.  All of these prices will be lower in MX, but I can promise you they don’t stay in business at the prices they charge without doing volume.  If someone comes into my office for a $1000 crown my overhead eats up pretty quick.  If I do two the second one has much much higher profit and so on.  That’s how they make money on a $300 crown.  The other thing to keep in mind is the dental lab work from down there is atrocious.  I saw stuff in dental school that I know I could have done better on when I was 8 yrs old.  Just for reference, my dental lab charges me $250 to build me a crown.   That’s what it costs for quality work.   If I charged $300 for crowns I would go out of business in a hurry.  Im betting they get their crowns from Mexican labs for $15-30.  Scary thought if you ask me.  When you think about the stuff a tooth has to go through, acid, hot coffee to cold ice cream in the same bite, hundreds of PSI of pressure.   The thought that a $15 piece of lab ceramic made by an underage worker in a lab mill in Mexico is gonna make it more then a few years is not happening.  That’s my two cents on it.  Get a dentist you trust.  Spend the money.  You won’t regret it.  I wish I were closer I could get you set up.  

I've been to Laser Dental in Mexico which is right across the border in Nogales.  You park on this side of the border and walk through.  The office is right there.  I've had two implants done there.  First time I walked in the door the office was filled with Americans, most from Green Valley area it seemed.  I'm actually going back down there again for another one.  I had my local dentist quote me $3900 for an implant BEFORE the crown which my regular dentist would have to do which is another $600, so $4500 for an implant here.  Laser Dental is $1750 for everything.  Huge savings.

On 7/3/2019 at 6:08 PM, yotebuster said:

I don’t give a shoot if people go to Mexico from a business perspective.  I do from a personal perspective.  If you read my post I covered all of that.  Plenty of bad dentists in the US as well that’s why I said find one one trust and stick with them.  I pointed out the reasons you can’t trust a dentist who does crowns for $300.  I didn’t even brush on the fact that there’s no quality control whatsoever to keep you from getting hepatitis or worse from the guy before you.  If you’d rather spend $1500 for 5 crowns, 4 of which you don’t need them $1000 for the one you did and the rest of your life fighting hep C then be my guest.  

I absolutely, from personal experience, couldn't disagree more.  I've been down there several times and never experienced anything like that.  They never once tried to sell me on more work.  They have better equipment than my local dentist office, believe me I was shocked.  In my opinion people have bad experiences everywhere, it doesn't happen just in Mexico.

Dental Laser Nogales is the place to go.  When half of southern Arizona retirees are in the waiting room when you walk in the door, it puts your worries at ease.

9 minutes ago, phillyphan said:

I absolutely, from personal experience, couldn't disagree more.  I've been down there several times and never experienced anything like that.  They never once tried to sell me on more work.  They have better equipment than my local dentist office, believe me I was shocked.  In my opinion people have bad experiences everywhere, it doesn't happen just in Mexico.

Dental Laser Nogales is the place to go.  When half of southern Arizona retirees are in the waiting room when you walk in the door, it puts your worries at ease.

Sounds like an awesome place.  I’m just surprised if he’s that great he wouldn’t put his office a few hundred yards north and charge double?  

6 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

Sounds like an awesome place.  I’m just surprised if he’s that great he wouldn’t put his office a few hundred yards north and charge double?  

Maybe taxes or insurance rates are less in Mexico.  

• Like 1

My daughter is finishing up her 3rd year of dental school at Midwestern University on 59th ave & 101 in north Glendale.  I know they take a lot of people who do not have insurance and get work done at a discounted rate.  State of the art facilities.

9 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

Maybe taxes or insurance rates are less in Mexico.  

Their income tax brackets are similar to ours actually.  Their liability insurance is likely less or more likely nonexistent, which DIRECTLY affects you as a consumer because that’s who pays you when things go bad.   

My post was slightly in jest, he’s cheaper because of the fact that the don’t have any red tape (HIPPA, OSHA or dental boards) to help maintain quality standards.  No different then you can get a Chinese made side by side off alibada for $5k, it’ll probably look and function as well as a domestic made one in the beginning as well.   What will happen in a few years is the part that makes the difference.  Google “Grey market dental supplies”.  You’ll see where they get their stuff.  It’s not really grey market in Mexico of course, that’s an American term for the garbage materials they use but that’s the same stuff.  

I guess I would ask yourself before you have any dental procedure done, domestically or foreign.  “Would I let themdo a kidney transplant?”   If your answer is “no” then you shouldn’t let them mess with your mouth.  Same risks. 

3 minutes ago, knothead said:

My daughter is finishing up her 3rd year of dental school at Midwestern University on 59th ave & 101 in north Glendale.  I know they take a lot of people who do not have insurance and get work done at a discounted rate.  State of the art facilities.

This is an awesome idea!!  That’s where I went to school.  It’ll take them some time, but the work you will be getting done will be up to standard of care.  When I was there the fees were about 35-50% of normal.  

I wouldn't let any dentist do a kidney transplant on me.  Haha. Dentists are just unmotivated drs.  Kidding, I know you are a dentist.  My other half is a hygienists, so I hear some of the mexico stories.  I also hear LOTS of stories of local dentists who suck.  Bad dentistry causes a multitude of problems down the road, but saying all mexico dentists are bad is likely untrue.  

3 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

I wouldn't let any dentist do a kidney transplant on me.  Haha. Dentists are just unmotivated drs.  Kidding, I know you are a dentist.  My other half is a hygienists, so I hear some of the mexico stories.  I also hear LOTS of stories of local dentists who suck.  Bad dentistry causes a multitude of problems down the road, but saying all mexico dentists are bad is likely untrue.  

If you go back and read my post from a while back I went over that.  There are plenty of bad dentists, particularly in population centers, competition drives them to do things that aren’t best for patients.  Believe me I’ve seen it.  There are definitely good dentists in MX as well. It’s just that their treatment standards are mostly non existent (or atleast enforcement of them is).  I kicked around going into medical School.  I had a couple good mentors who were MD’s and they pushed me toward dentistry as they saw the socialization of medicine coming and couldn’t have been more correct.  Same is coming for dentistry but I’m hoping since I live out in the sticks I can avoid it for another 20 Years and then retire.  

How convenient that there is a dental thread already started. I’m in dental hygiene school at Mesa community college and am looking for patients to do cleanings on. Our clinic offers reduced fees (and also takes insurance) so if you are interested send me a PM! Or my number is (602) 767-2765. Thanks all 👍