Outdoor Writer

LOUD buzzing Desktop

HOORAY -- Peace and quiet again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally solved the buzzing mystery. Yet even though I did, I can't imagine why it started like it did.

I was making a phone call this a.m. on a phone that is right next to the computer. Every time I pushed a number, it would interrupt the buzz for a split sec. The phone has an antenna for companion handsets, which I don't have. 

Now, if you guess that was the problem, you'd be wrong.🤣I unplugged the phone's power supply and the phone cord from the wall. It didn't do anything for the buzz, however.

Although it wasn't that dirty inside, I then decided to disconnect everything from the computer, bring it to my workshop and blow it out using a compressed air canister. As I was disconnecting the cables, I noticed an old tape answering machine that was behind it and tucked in a cubby hole had somehow got turned on. I turned it off, and the buzzing ceased immediately. To confirm it was the culprit, I turned it on again. Sure enough, buzz started. The answering machine is now in the trash.

So there you have it folks; one mystery solved. But...another one is how and why did that answering machine get turned on two days ago because I sure didn't do it. In fact, I was actually typing when the buzz began. And the last one is what in the computer was buzzing because of the answering machine and why.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThomC said:

Take it out to your car, is the noise still in your office?  If not did the noise move to your car?  If so, then drive to a computer repair shop and leave it there, also it probably needs a good checkup for bugs etc.  😏

Your suggestion here was spot on about going out to the car. If I had carried it a lot farther than the other side of my office, it probably would have stopped the buzz being caused by the answering machine. See my other message about solving the issue. 

helwow

Diss is tek sport.

My name ChinS ung Wo

how may hep you?

You reboot now, mmk?

dat fix it k bye

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Snapshot said:

So, the computer sitting next to the answering machine was causing the buzz, inside the computer?

Bingo! But only when the answering machine was on. It was only 8 inches away, but even when I had moved the computer with nothing attached yesterday and where it was nearly 20 ft. away, the buzz still was there. Beats the heck outta me, that's fer shure. Only thing I can think of that might have picked up the answering machine is the integrated wireless on the motherboard.

I would have a hard time explaining to my kids what an answering machine and tape are. 

2 hours ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Bingo! But only when the answering machine was on. It was only 8 inches away, but even when I had moved the computer with nothing attached yesterday and where it was nearly 20 ft. away, the buzz still was there. Beats the heck outta me, that's fer shure. Only thing I can think of that might have picked up the answering machine is the integrated wireless on the motherboard.

Rare case of EMF. I remember as a kid growing up and a car would drive past the house that didn't have resistor spark plugs we would get white noise come across the speaker in the TV. This was before answering machines. Similar to driving under power lines and getting radio interference.

10 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Rare case of EMF. I remember as a kid growing up and a car would drive past the house that didn't have resistor spark plugs we would get white noise come across the speaker in the TV. This was before answering machines. Similar to driving under power lines and getting radio interference.

I guess.  I still can't understand WHAT was actually buzzing and how that could happen with NO power and no speaker, though.

15 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

I guess.  I still can't understand WHAT was actually buzzing and how that could happen with NO power and no speaker, though.

That’s what’s known as FM