Coues Archer

New muzzleloader... Need help!!!

Hello my fellow hunters,

I recently drew an awesome muzzleloader hunt and I want to pull the trigger on a nice modernized weapon system. I’m currently torn between Remington 700 ultimate muzzleloader or the new CVA Paramount. Have any of you had experience with these two rifles or would suggest another please feel free to give me some feedback.

Thank you. 

The Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader is badass the other you listed I can't speak for because I don't own one. My ultimate Muzzleloader shoots holes through holes at 200 yards with a 250 sabot 4 Triple 7 pellets I never really messed with any other load because it shoots so well. It's killed deer elk and Antelope all the way out to 400 yards. I did swap the trigger out with a timney trigger and I started off with the Nikon inline scope I wouldn't recommend that once I swapped it out with a high-end Leupold with a turret on it made a big difference.

• Like 1

Call Luke at arrowhead precision. Hes a super nice guy and will help you out. He helped me out a ton. 

• Like 5

Run away from CVA and traditions.  I’d get the ultimate. I own one of the original Michigan ultimates and am having another sabot less gun built.  Most guns these days will shoot 1.5-2” groups when following the weird rituals that 777 requires but to get a real long range consistent gun you’ll want to use blackhorn and get something with a rifle primer ignition source or you’ll end up banging your head against the wall.  If the Remington doensnt come with a muzzle break factor one into your budget as my Michigan ultimate kicks even with a break.   I shoot 110gr blackhorn by weight (about 160 by volume) with a 300gr Parker black max at 2400fps.  That’s got more KE then a 30-06 with 180’s.   It’s a mean rig.  Used to be muzzleloaders killed more like bows by just putting a big hole in a critter.  These will kill with hydraulics just like any other rifle.  

• Like 1

Why run from cva and traditions? I do realize that cva had some issues for a while, but I have a new one that shoots great. I’m also a big rem 700 fan, but they put out some real poor quality rifles for a while around a decade ago... or is your opinion similar to the “everything but Swarovski sucks” crowd? I’m new to muzzleloadera but I’m just wondering

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, dustin25 said:

Why run from cva and traditions? I do realize that cva had some issues for a while, but I have a new one that shoots great. I’m also a big rem 700 fan, but they put out some real poor quality rifles for a while around a decade ago... or is your opinion similar to the “everything but Swarovski sucks” crowd? I’m new to muzzleloadera but I’m just wondering

I’ve only been around two of them, friends of mine who bought cva accuras against my caution.  Both would only fire about 7 out of 10 times.  Wouldn’t even set the primer off.  Both had “stainless” barrels but they turned out to just be plated steel barrels so the bore wasn’t stainless which is important in a muzzleloader if you ask me.  Can’t say that I’ve been around a new CVA but they were such a disappointment when I was around them I wouldn’t waste my time again.  There’s so many better options out there I guess why risk it. 

• Like 1

Hey thanks for the feedback guys! You’re all awesome. Keep it coming. So I had a question with the Remington 700 ultimate and blackhorn 209 powder. I hear there’s been a lot of problems with the breech plug getting gas spliced with that powder. So my question here is how much powder by “weight” and “volume” do you use? And have you ever had issues with the breech plug messing up from shooting Blackhorn 209.

6 hours ago, Coues Archer said:

Hey thanks for the feedback guys! You’re all awesome. Keep it coming. So I had a question with the Remington 700 ultimate and blackhorn 209 powder. I hear there’s been a lot of problems with the breech plug getting gas spliced with that powder. So my question here is how much powder by “weight” and “volume” do you use? And have you ever had issues with the breech plug messing up from shooting Blackhorn 209.

I shoot 110 weight and haven’t seen any issues yet, I did hear that the breach plugs in the remingtons are harder then the old ultimates like mine so they are rated to 160 volume.  I can’t verify that though.  

• Like 1

I have the cva accura v2 and I love it. My buddy owns a Remington 700 and it is also an awesome gun. Once you find one you will be hooked

• Like 2

4 hours ago, yotebuster said:

I shoot 110 weight and haven’t seen any issues yet, I did hear that the breach plugs in the remingtons are harder then the old ultimates like mine so they are rated to 160 volume.  I can’t verify that though.  

Yotebuster: I’ve heard the same thing but no definitive proof on the matter. I know of guys shooting 150 grains volume all day long but then I see posts saying never go passed 120 volume cuz you will gas cut your muzzleloader...? 

I had an encore that I shot 125gr volume out of and never had an issue.  I shot that thing hundreds and hundreds of times too. 

• Like 1

I have the Remington UML and I couldn't get it to shoot with BH209, pellets and various bullets. It would keyhole the supplied Barnes bullets with the 777 pellets that Remington recommended load. I sent it to Luke at Arrowhead rifles and he installed his breech plug and a new barrel on it. Now it shoots great with 115 grs by weight of BH209 and 300 gr bullets. I got a bag of the remington UML brass that you can have if you do go that route. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rkv09 said:

I have the Remington UML and I couldn't get it to shoot with BH209, pellets and various bullets. It would keyhole the supplied Barnes bullets with the 777 pellets that Remington recommended load. I sent it to Luke at Arrowhead rifles and he installed his breech plug and a new barrel on it. Now it shoots great with 115 grs by weight of BH209 and 300 gr bullets. I got a bag of the remington UML brass that you can have if you do go that route. 

That’s awesome rkv09! I greatly appreciate the info. It sure looks like I will be going that route. So can you tell me more about your set up? So why did you have the arrowhead breech plug installed?? Is it because it wasn’t designed for BH209 powder?? I’d love to hear your feedback on the matter. Thanks for the help man.

My current setup is the UML action and stock fitted to fit the 26” Brux barrel with Arrowhead breech plug and a Timey trigger. I went with the Arrowhead breech plug because from what I read, and researched online is that the factory plug isn’t made to use BH209. That’s why BH209 doesn’t list specs to use in the UML nor does Remington for BH209. With using the UML .308 case as an ignition source it can cause headspacing issues from the factory and in fact my original breech plug was damaged from the factory and would even allow the bolt to close with the case. I had to get a replacement before I was even able to fire the rifle. I had the Arrowhead breech plug installed to eliminate all the headache with the UML breechplug and since I was doing that, I also swapped out the barrel. I have always had better accuracy with custom barrels over factory if the factory ones aren’t preforming.  My UML might have been a Friday rifle, I have read good things about them and that is why I purchased it but I couldn’t get it to shoot 1 moa at 100 yards much less at the advertised 300 yards. My 250 dollar traditions muzzleloader was more accurate.  You can convert the beech plug without replacing the barrel but after spending too much time and money trying to find a load, I figured a custom barrel was the ticket.

Not trying to scare you away from the UML, there are plenty of people who have had good experiences with them just mine wasn’t. I have used my tradition muzzleloader on game out to 220 yards and targets to 300. If that’s all the range, you are looking for then I don’t know if you need to spend the money on an UML. I used my UML on a coues deer hunt and was able to harvest a buck at 120 yards. Now if you want a muzzleloader that is basically a single shot rifle out to 500 or so yards then look at an UML or Arrowhead modification. I am also by no means any kind of expert on muzzleloaders, I just have several and like to see how accurate I can get them.  

• Like 1