Burdy

Unit 4a looking for any info/ Archery Elk

Hey AZ hunters.  Drew unit 4a by error on my part.  Probably had enough points to draw 7w.  Did not get point guard so here I come.  Can anyone give me any info or places to camp, get info, stay in a motel, maps, etc.  I have hunted unit 1 and 7w and helped call for video a few times in 7w as well.  So I am going it alone because the rest of my buddies will be in WY, ID and OR coast.  I know when they start bugling I will figure it out but a bit of help on accommodations and a good place to stay a few nights while I drive the unit would be much appreciated.  Coming from the East on I40 from the Smoky Mountains.  

How hot is it usually?  Can you hang the meat at night to get it cooled out?  What kind of snakes you got?  

I chase bears with hounds here in the mountains so we wade thru copper heads and timber rattlers all the time.  Just want to know what you got in this area.  I will hunt south, I don't hide well in the open country.  

any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

burdy

Hey I loved the thread of the guys that wanted to go out and call in a bunch of bulls but they were respectable to admit they should stay out for the rut.  I had a Panguitch, UT hunt ruined by outfitters and rifle hunters coming in running around scouting and keeping a few 380 bulls run off.  Tried to gut shoot one off a four wheeler but he got away. Just kiddin.  Only wanted to.  So thanks for letting us hunt a few days.  Commendable

Two weeks before the hunt??? Man, nothing like waiting till last minute. Lots of places to camp in 4A. There is a lodge in Forest Lakes in your unit.

It is still getting close the 90s up there. I would plan for daytime temps reaching high 70s to low 80s on your hunt. Low temps will probably be high 40s to low 50s. If you get your meat skinned quick and hang it in the shade, you will be good for that day and that night hanging it to get it cool. Your meat temp is going to initially be much higher than the ambient temp. But after one night, I would have it in coolers so it doesn't go through a second day out in the warm temperatures.

There is usually a refrigerated meat storage truck parked in Forest Lakes that is run by Miller's Southwest Processing. Might check with them to see if the allow you to hang meat till you are ready to head home.  

I've never had snake issues up that high. There are some there, but not the rattlers we deal with down in the desert.

http://forestlakeslodge.com/

http://www.southwesternprocessing.com/

Hopefully you don’t get beat up too much for this being your first post, but welcome and good luck. You’re coming from one of my favorite parts of the country (especially starting this Saturday...makes me get the Big Orange fever) so I’m happy to help out as much as I can. I’ll PM some more specifics. 

Rossislider is spot on with the lodging...couple of other small places and cabins in Forest Lakes area, but availability may be tough. Heber-Overgaard is about 20 miles away and has a few places too. 

Depends on weather, but probably a little too warm to hang meat overnight for more than one night. Agree with the coolers recommendation or Miller’s always seems to have a cooler truck there.

Plenty of camping (both dispersed camping on National Forest and a few established campgrounds depending on preference) and don’t worry about the snakes.

Depending on when you’re on I-40 I might just race you out here. Flying to Nashville in a couple weeks to drive a U-Haul back to AZ for family moving here. 

4A.  we always had non-campers stay in winslow-lots of hotels and 24 hour food choices.  there is 1 high end hotel there-la posada-and lots of mid levels and cheapies.

winslow is about 30 paved miles from the forest boundary at chevelon butte.  we always start scouting at chevelon butte then work south and west towards wiggins crossing.  its mostly transition forest and canyon country-lots of bulls to look at and listen to.  if you want to hunt up higher along the 300 rd that will work-200 hunters will not put any real pressure anywhere in 4A.

330 bulls are hard to come by but that and bigger are in there.

good luck,

lee

ps does anybody know whats the deal with that eco-resort at dutch joe ranch?

I would stay in Winslow like BLJ said. We have hunted n and s of chevlon butte for years. It's a good fast way to get in there. Check out the transition from pines to junipers. Forest road 34. Plenty of camping.

1 hour ago, rossislider said:

Two weeks before the hunt??? Man, nothing like waiting till last minute. Lots of places to camp in 4A. There is a lodge in Forest Lakes in your unit.

Forest Lakes is in 4B. Just want to clarify since he’s from out of state. 

• Like 2

Christopher Creek has some nice cabins that would be the closest to the unit - I would just camp there are PLENTY of camping site in the unit. 

Get OnX for maps, it will provide the best map possible.

Here is your best bet to get a crash course on scouting. 

https://www.azgfd.com/hunting/units/pinetop/4a/

If you end up camping around Christopher creek there is a guy in young will let you hang your meat in a cooler for like $10 evey 24 hours. His names Dave (i think) and the place is called pitchfork unlimited.   

Hey men, I thank you all for the input.  It is a great looking area with lots of hunters. What is new?  Just call the right bull on the right day and then worry about the heat.  Congrats on a beautiful state.  How do these guys afford these quads that cost more than my house in TN.   I am not intimidated about the hunting but I dont have a vehicle to hang with the four door extended cab quads.  To the gentlemen that wanted to come in and bugle a bit I would be interested in spending some time with you guys to help speed process of getting away from a few guys. Not to proud to sit out front.  I am sorry that I waited this late to get info to the guy that got on me for waiting to late.  But I have been rebuilding Gatlinburg since the fire in 2016 and wasnt sure I was even going to get my 2 weeks until 2 days ago when I got  in the truck and drove out of TN.  I wish I was blessed to have a schedule.  But the same freedom that allowed me to guide in OR,and ID for years is sometimes slavery that keeps me from making long term plans.  Hey men thanks for all, I used to be a big part of East TN fishing website and did not realize how much our experience helped the big tournament guys when they came in.  You all have helped me a bunch.  If anybody wants to hunt a few days give me a call 865-850-6620   I am in Kohls ranch lodge for a few days until I figure out where to camp.  I will be in Payson at big O tires getting new tires on a brand new dodge tomorrow (opening day) since 7 miles from the end of asphalt I had the plug kit out and pumping the goodyear factory tire up.  Luckily I figured the tires would be cut down and I had the plugs and pump in the cab.  But it is hard to pay a grand for new tires on a truck with less than 5000 miles on it. So I came with factory.  Thanks

David (Burdy) 

• Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 5:17 PM, bigorange said:

Hopefully you don’t get beat up too much for this being your first post, but welcome and good luck. You’re coming from one of my favorite parts of the country (especially starting this Saturday...makes me get the Big Orange fever) so I’m happy to help out as much as I can. I’ll PM some more specifics. 

Rossislider is spot on with the lodging...couple of other small places and cabins in Forest Lakes area, but availability may be tough. Heber-Overgaard is about 20 miles away and has a few places too. 

Depends on weather, but probably a little too warm to hang meat overnight for more than one night. Agree with the coolers recommendation or Miller’s always seems to have a cooler truck there.

Plenty of camping (both dispersed camping on National Forest and a few established campgrounds depending on preference) and don’t worry about the snakes.

Depending on when you’re on I-40 I might just race you out here. Flying to Nashville in a couple weeks to drive a U-Haul back to AZ for family moving here. 

I left on the 10th and made the trip in 28 hours slept in OK for a few hrs.  Hope you made it safe and your family loves their new home