Non-Typical Solutions

Grand Canyon to make second run at corralling bison herd

Seriously though,  have you actually ate horsemeat? I remember a Bill Quimby post where he mentioned eating zebra.

7 hours ago, Heat said:

I think that's about as bad as it gets.  Its all over the place for success.  On the hunt I was on, there were 8 cow tags and 2 bull tags and 8 out of the 10 hunters killed their bison.  The only two that didn't went home early.

I'm banking points for bison to hopefully head out there in a couple decades or whatever, but have read that getting your animal out is not easy as they will be far from vehicle access.

8 hours ago, NewlyMinted said:

I'm banking points for bison to hopefully head out there in a couple decades or whatever, but have read that getting your animal out is not easy as they will be far from vehicle access.

Go read a bunch of the bison posts. I didnt know what I was really getting into until after I drew the tag for the hunt next month.  Once they finally reduce the herd it will be even harder to draw. For the most part it's a sit in a blind hunt over water or salt. You are allowed to drive up to them in the meadow for recovery if you happen to get one there but that's not the norm. If you do the co op the guides will help you pack it out for $500

• Like 1

If the guides are there.  Summer yes, fall maybe?  I saw the "fences" they put around one water tank, the bison flattened it.  My dog run was sturdier.  It probably cost the tax payers 100k to put up as well and now its litter. 

Grand Canyon News Release 
For Immediate Release 
Sept. 19, 2019
Thirty-one Bison from the North Rim are Relocated
v
Grand Canyon, AZ- National Park Service staff closed the doors on livestock trailers yesterday, securing 31 bison inside to transfer them to the InterTribal Buffalo Council who will take them on the journey to join their new herd with the Quapaw tribe in Oklahoma.

The transfer of the bison concluded the Grand Canyon National Park's pilot program for corralling and relocating bison from the North Rim.

"It's an historic moment. These are the first bison ever captured and permanently removed from Grand Canyon," said Grand Canyon National Park Bison Project Manager Miranda Terwilliger.

Leading up to the corralling operations, a corral was regularly supplied with food and water to encourage bison to enter freely and increase their exposure to humans.

"It's a passive process. You want to work as quietly and calmly around the bison to keep their stress levels down because they have very little interactions with humans," said Chris Clark, the South Rim lead mule packer who served as the corral boss."

After a large group of bison entered the corral, during the operation period, staff closed the corral gates and began processing them in preparation for shipment. The processing included separating and releasing bison that were too young or too large or old to make the trip. They were guided into a squeeze chute, where the scientists took blood and genetic samples and tagged them per U.S. Department of Agriculture shipping regulations.

"We had an amazing team who worked really well together," said Terwilliger. "We did a lot of mock runs and training in advance with other parks and agencies."

Biologists from the Kaibab National Forest, Yellowstone National Park, Badlands National Park, the U.S. Geological Survey, and the InterTribal Buffalo Council assisted. Also present was a National Park Service veterinarian to oversee the well-being of the bison.

Several additional animals were outfitted with tracking collars and released during the corralling process. The collaring was conducted with the assistance of U.S. Geological Survey scientists for park wildlife biologists to study the bison migratory patterns and population size.

The goal of the pilot program was to capture and relocate up to 100 bison. The pilot program was conducted this year due to the bison migrating to a warmer location on the North Rim from early snowfall last year. There's approximately 600 bison on the North Rim, and Grand Canyon National Park is reducing the size to under 200 over the next three to five years to protect park resources from the impacts of the bison population.

-NPS-

They should just get Chad Smith in there with his helicopter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You can't drive a vehicle into the park to recover your bison, if you shoot it and it crosses back into the park.  Since most of the bison are killed very close to the border, that's a very real possibility.